911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Value of DP Kremer cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
killbugsfast
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of DP Kremer cars

Read some threads on this topic . Obviously the better shape the higher the value but , what would be considered pluses as options / features , etc . Is it true some were fiberglass , others Kevlar ? Can you still get the humongous rear tires and the BBS fans for the wheels ?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:00 PM
killbugsfast
Instructor

Hmm ? Never mind . I guess they are a piece of refuse and nobody owns or would like to own one .
Old 08-05-2005, 01:21 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Well...to sort of answer your question from my perspective.....

There are no pluses at all financially. All the extra stuff that you have only helps you sell a car like this....not get more for it IMHO.

DP, Kremer, B+B, Gemballa cars "may" potentially appeal to that 1 in 1,000 of the 930 buyer pool that would pay a significant premium over and above the acquisition cost of a bone stock or tastefully mechanically modified 930.

Those that would pay the same amount of money as a stock car may be 200 in 1,000 and the rest wouldn't look at it at all in my experience.

Here's a good example of what I am talking about linked below.......check out the Gemballa car for sale as well as the others (2 of which are mine). Would you pay another $30-50K for it ? I have not seen this car, however I am sure that it is perfect....but.....that's almost another complete car and/or a pile of upgrades and future maintenance for a similair driving experience.

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/r...&type=province

Hope that helps.

Last edited by YYC930; 08-05-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:58 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

I can only speak for the DP, but I REALLY like mine... and have been offered substantially more than I paid for it from a number of people who have seen it... and even from some who haven't.

And the "add-ons" over and above a stock 930 are really nice... fully functional brake vents (4 DE's and no brake issues AT ALL), 956 spec'd front oil cooler, 956 spec'd K27 turbo, etc. Never mind the kick-*** slant nose. Combined, they make for a really solid and fun car whether it be in stop-and-go trafic on the highway or killer hot days on the track. And will always draw lots of attention.

The hard part right now is that the 15" tires are REALLY hard to find in those sizes (13" wide, 345/35's), as Pirelli are the only ones making them, and they're a custom job... and they make 2 sets a day. I've been waiting since November for my order to come through. They say sometime in the next few weeks... *sigh*

Also, typically the type 1 DP's (twin turbo, track cars) were kevlar composite, while the type 2's were mostly fibreglass... but not "normally" layed up. I don't know the specifics of that, but my car is about to go into the shop for some fender repairs (deer strike) and 3 separate fibreglass experts wouldn't touch it... only the 4th would, after much arm-twisting and cash from the insurance company, and much complaining over how difficult the job would be. He was very impressed by the original work, though.

At the end of the day, not many people know who Kremer or DP are, but those that do typically have a greater appreciation and desire for the cars. The others tend to think of them as bastardized 930's with a cheap body kit.

Case in point, I took it to 2 shops to get suspension work done (wheel bearing and suspension adjustment), and they rolled their eyes at the body kit and had no idea who DP was, or their history with Kremer. It wasn't until they got under the car when they saw the quality workmanship that had been done, with lots of "hey... this whole front end is oil cooler!" type stuff coming from the wrench. The 3rd shop I went to, the service manager's eyes bugged out and he came out before I went in and said "damn... you've got a DP... that is a NICE CAR... wash it sometime, would you please?" (Needless to say, he's been my mechanic ever since)

As to the value, well, that's so ambiguous it's not funny... without wanting to sound like a bad cliche, "it's worth whatever someone will pay for it". Has it been ridden hard and put away wet, or is it fresh? Is it in need of major engine work, or ready for a nice long run without any serious maintenance for a while? (When I bought mine, almost US $20k had been put into a complete engine rebuild, etc., only 5,000 miles before, so I was quite happy).

If you educate people about what the cars are, they will appreciate them more for what they are, and maybe pay a premium for them.

As to education, I've registered DP935.com and will be posting stuff there shortly... things that I've collected about the cars/manufacturing/etc, as well as other tidbits from other DP owners, etc.

As a final thought, I've been offered enough for my car to upgrade to a nice 993 twin turbo sitting in a local showroom (80% of asking price, anyway), and I've turned it down... because the DP is such a fun, raw car to drive. Power nothing, lots of boost, two hands on the wheel at all times, and a ****-eating grin to go with it.

$0.02 (CDN)

Old 08-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PICS PICS PICS!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:52 AM
SoFast
Racer

The thing about DP and Gemballa is that they were cars made to fit in the decadence of the 80's where Miami Vice was considered the spotlight of the times. They were radical and over the top. Something most desireable for the time. Now, they look very dated. Thus, value is in the eye of the beholder. The Euro car buyers are very particular. Even though these cars were at the top of their class, Ruf cars seem to do much better with values due to staying true to the cars orignal styling cues. JMO.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 AM
killbugsfast
Instructor

Thanks for the info . Will definitely visit your site .
Old 08-08-2005, 11:14 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is one that Lindsey Racing just had some custom wheels made for the owner

Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Sameer
Race Car

SoFast,
Look at the picutre above of that beautiful cabrio DP and ask yourself, does it look dated? Not at all my friend. It's sleek, got nice curves at the rear and packs a lot of power even for todays sports cars.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:41 AM
SoFast
Racer

Sameer, that car has some updates, but most of the DP's look very dated. That version is not far off from a slsnt nose. It is beautiful, but I was commenting on why the values are lower than some modified 930's.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:30 PM
jms935
Intermediate

Just came across these pics of my DP. That is my blue cab. And for updates, Sameer, I assume you mean upgrades, the wheels are all that have been changed. And even then, they are original donor Fuchs Lindsey machined into 3 piece for me.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:40 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe the appeal has to do with age. I'm 39, so in the early 80's when the DP's, B&B's, and Kremer's were popular, I was just about to start driving so I read all the car magazines and dreamed of owning one of these. I still think a Kremer or DP would be really cool. Now the Gemballa, well that's another story.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:04 PM
The B
Racer

125shifter: You summed up my thoughts on these types of cars. I am 35 and have no problems reflecting back on the 80's style cars...fond memories of the posters on my walls and car magizines of the time, they were the dream.

About values: perhaps when I ( and others that are 80's kids) get older, have more disposible income and gargage space will start collecting these types of cars and drive up the values. I would love an 80's Testarossa and a 935 Slant Nose in my gargage.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 PM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The thing about DP and Gemballa is that they were cars made to fit in the decadence of the 80's where Miami Vice was considered the spotlight of the times."

Your a little of the mark. DP Motorsport made the bodies for Kremer Racing. They also did the slant nose before Porsche. Customers wanted their street cars to look like the race cars, hence the conversions. I started a site last year after I bought one. If you want to know more about these cars, check it out. I put a link to Jeff's site which has in indepth interview with E. Zimmerman. Whether you like the look or not is a matter of opinion.

Jeff: I bought 295x15 Michelin Vintage Race tires from Coker for my 11x15's. They also make a 315x15. They are extremely light, about the same weight as a Hoosier.

Harold
'79 930/DP935
3.5 twin plug
http://www.dp935registry.com
Old 11-17-2006, 01:01 AM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS. The white DP with the blue striples (or one that looked exactly like it) at the bottom of the photo gallery page was in a Miami Vice episode. Danny Sullivan was racing prototypes through the streets of Miami. The show starts out with a white 904 or 906 picking up a hooker. The DP is sitting in a repair shop. Who would have thought.

Quick Reply: Value of DP Kremer cars