Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cabrio top padding

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 08:37 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabrio top padding

Can anyone post a pic of what the interior roof of the cab should look like? It seems my top is missing some padding or something to keep it more taut and shaped looking when it is up. The PO had a new top put on about 5 years ago but it just doesn't seem right.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Thomas Owen
Advanced

There is no 'padding' on the cab top (as there is on a VW top). Post a picture of what yours looks like and maybe I can point out what the problem is...
Old 11-19-2003, 05:56 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Can't seem to upload the pics I took... As a description if you look across the top horizontally there is a slight sag between the cross rails and a generally loose looking side to side. On the inside the canvass looks like something was attached to it in the areas near the cross rails - which is why I thought there was padding or something there before. Do you know how to post a pic? or I could e-mail to you
Thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 07:41 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

JR,

As Thomas said, there is no padding. There is however a liner on the inside the top. Are there wrinkles in the window as well?

If so, sounds like a poor installation job. These are two part tops that require some working knowledge for a good install. There should be no wrinkles anywhere, the top and window should be taut.

Check with shops in your area regarding installation and be sure to ask if they have experience with fitting Porsche tops.

Ask me how I know
Old 11-19-2003, 08:04 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Uh Oh! I'm afraid to ask. I does look like a poor install and there is no sign of a liner. The rear window is a bit wavey, far from wrinkle free. Makes it tough to see through clearly especially at night.

OK, so how do you know??
Old 11-19-2003, 08:27 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

JR,

Upon asking, the guy assured me he had done lots of them before.

Get references and talk to them. Where I failed... was to do just that and to see their finished work first hand.

Not a really bad job, just an okay installation... however not done well enough for my satisfaction. Where the top meets the body, it should be tight up against the paint without any space.

Took it back once, now looking for someone to make it right.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:19 AM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Craig,

Let me know how it goes. I may seek out someone to adjust mine as well. Just looks like they allowed for too much shrinkage that never happened.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:12 PM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a few pics of my top. The back window is date stamped 1995, so I assume the top was replaced then too. Sorry the pics are relatively low res.

Click on the 3 links.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...rooo/13118.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...rooo/13119.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...rooo/13120.JPG

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:14 PM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Thanks for the pics. Is that a liner I'm seeing on the inside shot covering the mid section or is it just single layer thickness? this is where I think I'm missing something. The hard front section and rear section look the same as mine, it's just the area between. Can't figure out if there was another layer of fabric there at one time. I just have one layer of canvass in this area.
Thanks
Old 11-20-2003, 07:45 PM
AHEDAU
Instructor

Location: London Ontario-My Fleet:86Cab/95Coupe/ 01 Outback H6 VDC/ 01 PathfinderSE/65Beetle(Survivor)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is the felt headliner, and then the sunbrella top material, so yes, there are two layers in that area.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:56 AM
hokiefan
Intermediate

Thanks, I thought so. I may ad my own headliner in that area to see if it helps. I found some material at a fabric store that has about 1/8" foam backing used for headliners...

Quick Reply: Cabrio top padding