Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stock '87 911 Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:56 PM
barorg
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock '87 911 Tuning?

Hi Guys - very new to the air-cooled Porsche world. I've been driving my (new to me) '87 911 coupe for a month now, thinking that I would love to hear a better sound out of this engine. Despite the promising sound at idle, it almost whines at speed and only becomes slightly more interesting at around 5k RPM. Given that this car has been around for so many years, is there an established tuning setup, including air, chip, exhaust and whatever else that is the 'best' for the 3.2L engine?

I'm enclosing pics of the car and engine for reference.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images    
Old 05-15-2017, 07:54 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I certainly would not change that gorgeous exhaust. You could try a Steve Wong Chip.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 PM
Archer911
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles? Fabulously clean. I have an 87 Targa. I pulled the cat last year and put in a bypass and will now change the muffler as the original stock has developed holes.
I plan to put in Sal's system which will include his chip and multiport injectors.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:11 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

What exhaust is on it now? +1 Steve Wong Chip if you don't have one.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:59 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

you car looks like it has SSI headers and a dansk or similar muffler. I'll be it has a Steve Wong or similar chip in it. Easy enough to check, computer is under the drivers seat.

Well, you're learning about the charms of the 3.2. Gotta wind them out and then they go. But they're not "fast" cars by today's standards. But they are awesome.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:18 AM
brianz426
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching this car on eBay back in April. The ad stated the car had backdated SSI heat exchangers, Dansk original style muffler (2 in 1 out). It looks beautiful in the pictures, it's a shame everything is under the car. Great color and I love the polished Fuchs. I suggest getting on YouTube and listening to different systems to see if you hear something you like. Best of luck with whatever you decide. Aftermarket exhaust will be one of the first things I do after I find a car.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:00 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

The mods in my sig, will put a huge smile on your face!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:55 PM
barorg
Intermediate

Guys - thank you for the various thoughts. I am likely to go the Fabspeed route, and that with a catbypass, and the "Carrera RSR" kit - which has the steve wong chip in it. I will be putting the SSI heat exchangers and Dansk muffler up on eBay when that happens. Will look for the cup airbox as well, thanks SARGEPUG.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:53 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

What a stupid idea to rip off the best exhaust made and put something else on it to make noise. Freaking ricers have hit the air cooled world.
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-fabspeed.html
Old 05-26-2017, 09:57 PM
barorg
Intermediate

GTgears - one man's noise is another's joy. No one asked you to get rude.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:13 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a Fabspeed single in dual out sport muffler and cat bypass installed for the last 20 years. Great fit and sounds fantastic.

Not sure how your current system sounds but if it sounds half as good as it looks, I'd leave it as is.

Ed
1987 Carrera
2012 C4GTS
Old 05-26-2017, 10:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by barorg
GTgears - one man's noise is another's joy. No one asked you to get rude.
I'm sorry to hear that your feelings are hurt for being called a ricer. But the definition of rice is mods that are for effect, not performance. You asked about the known ways to tune these cars. You have the best performing exhaust made. You will take it off, and lose horsepwer in return for sound. That's rice.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:27 PM
barorg
Intermediate

My concern is with you tone, not being called a "ricer", whatever that means in YOUR world. If you don't have anything useful to add to the discussion, just stop trolling. Every one of these forums has people like you in it that need to beat everyone down to make yourself the "expert". Ok, thanks, we've heard what you have to say.

Last edited by barorg; 05-26-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:54 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by barorg
My concern is with you tone, not being called a "ricer", whatever that means in YOUR world. If you don't have anything useful to add to the discussion, just stop trolling. Every one of these forums has people like you in it that need to beat everyone down to make yourself the "expert". Ok, thanks, we've heard what you have to say.
You came here for tech, right?

Why did Porsche redesign the exhaust and add a crossover pipe? It wasn't performance. They were forced to do it for emissions reasons and to add a catalytic converter.

The exhaust you have there is a very high quality replica of what Porsche put on their own cars from 1964-1975 until they were forced to change it. They made the best performing design for their cars. Someone spent a lot of money to backdate that exhaust and make it perform better (and still retain the heat).

It's your car. Do what you want with it. If you bothered to search my post history before you started talking trash you would find that I am a very helpful member. But I am to the point. I don't BS or beat around the bush. I call a spade a spade. Our more sensitive members get their panties in a bunch about it, but I'm me. Welcome to the board. You can put me on ignore if you find me unhelpful...
Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 PM
barorg
Intermediate

I came here for advice from helpful people. Not trolls. You are a troll.

I did research and all I found was an endless supply of opinions with no proof. That said, I'd bet you have no test data to show that your very loud opinion is anything BUT an opinion. The car sounds very lame right now, and it's certainly not particularly fast, so I'm looking for some alternatives to try. If you like the exhaust that's on my car, buy it. It doesn't impress me all that much, and I certainly hope that it can be improved upon.

Quick Reply: Stock '87 911 Tuning?