Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

OTC oil cooler???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 02:45 PM
oregonmud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OTC oil cooler???

Is there anyone out there who has installed an over the counter oil cooler in lieu of a $1500 external Carrera type cooler on a 2.7L or other 911. Where/which line to series from? etc.?
Is it feasible to do so and if so, the blastphemous nature aside, why not?
Comments please????
oregonmud
Old 10-26-2003, 03:09 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 97 Posts

Just an observation...... on my 1974 Ducktail I had the 28-tube Porsche brass cooler installed over the trombone loop or radiator cooler. I lived in Houston at the time, and after installing the cooler, oil temps NEVER went above 190 degrees even in traffic with the A/C blowing full on. My 79 930 has the trombone loop cooler from the factory and I just purchased another brass tube cooler to replace the stock unit. If you believe Bruce Anderson, these brass tube coolers (of the available stock coolers from Porsche) are the best for keeping your engine in the proper temp range. Knowing full-well that there are aftermarket alternatives, just thought I would offer a perspective on the stock units.

Oh, and BTW, I bought my tube cooler from Oklahoma Foreign about three weeks ago for $250. If your car already has the thermostat and oiol lines running up front, this change-out looks to be a snap!

Toby
Old 10-26-2003, 03:17 PM
oregonmud
Intermediate

Thanks for a quick reply Toby.
Although Oregon is home- days reach into the low 100's in summer and mid 80's and 90's are common much of the 'season'- though cooling now. My 'problem' is that there are NO external cooler lines nor the T-stat for them. So the supply line would come from somewhere on-board the engine it's self. I have cleaned the nearly worthless attached (stock- on-board) cooler and the gunk off the entire engine- runs a bit cooler but still too hot- so this is the basis of my query.
thanks,
oregonmud
Old 10-26-2003, 10:02 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oregonmud,

If you can, get a looka t a car with a factory setup before you decide what you want to do. Over at Pelican Parts, they have web pages that show exploded equipment arrangements. Here is the one for the mid year 911 oil system with external cooler. Please note that this is the "trombone" cooler and the bottom is cut off.

Part #7 is the thermostat that is usually in the rear wheel well.

Also, there was a longthread on Pelican Parts (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ht=oil+cooling) on this issue. See if you can gleem something from there.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:43 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

An important consideration is the amount of stress you're putting on the pump. Cooling systems designed for other applications often have narrower inner diameters in the lines and fittings. Elephant Racing has a whole line of fittings and coolers (and maybe thermostats?) for this, with wider inner diameters.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:56 PM
oregonmud
Intermediate

Default Compact Oil Cooler

Found a Compact Oil Cooler at
http://www.tweeks.com/shop?store=3&c...=54&frame=2450

$250- Figure I'll give it a try.
Also they have a 'finned aluminum' clamp-on-your-oil-filter device that may or may not help with cooling. Their claim- 12% reduction in cooling. The Compact Cooler installs inplace or the S hose at the tank.

Mark
Old 10-27-2003, 12:58 PM
oregonmud
Intermediate

Also
Thanks for the tip on Elephant Racing- the blow-up oils sys view and info on the trombone type filters!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:11 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Compact Oil Cooler

Originally posted by oregonmud
Found a Compact Oil Cooler at
http://www.tweeks.com/shop?store=3&c...=54&frame=2450

$250- Figure I'll give it a try.
Also they have a 'finned aluminum' clamp-on-your-oil-filter device that may or may not help with cooling. Their claim- 12% reduction in cooling. The Compact Cooler installs inplace or the S hose at the tank.

Mark
Mark,

These devices have been beat to death at Pelican as, at best, marginally effective due to small surface area and lack of air flow. You money is better spent getting the parts you need to do this right. If you are patient, you can get used factory lines for less than 50% of the new price. You can start with a trombone cooler whhich you can often get for free and when you have more $$, move up to a finned cooler design.

You do have the 11 blade fan on your car, don't you?

Also check to see that there are no air leaks on your sheet metal that allows the cooling air to bypass the on-engine cooler or cylinder/head fins.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:32 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inexpensive generic oil coolers you find at Pep boys and such do not have the flow capacity required by our 911 engines. There are some aftermarket coolers that are adequate such as those made by Setrab, B&B and Mocal.

If you are planning a fender mounted cooler, you will find the products (of similar cooling capacity) made by the above listed companies are priced comparably to the Porsche Carrera style cooler. For similar money, the Carrera cooler provides a perfect fit, proper fittings and location, and can be used with the factory stone guards and mounts. In short it is the best choice for a fender mount.

For custom installations including the front valance or driver side fender, products from the above listed companies can be a good solution. Be sure to equip them with adequately sized fitting and plumbing.

Also, do not use those sandwich adapters that go behind the oil flter for plumbing. They too have fittings that are much too restrictive.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:51 PM
oregonmud
Intermediate

Thanks Chuck- I'll try the basic replacement for the 'S' hose at the tank and post it's success or faliure-
Also I got another issue- seems endless and you folks are TOPS!!!!!
Upon starting cold- the typical back fire and pop off protection... installed works fine... but once the engine fires it won't start again unless I remove the air box cover, and hense- the filter- then she fires right up. Would this mean too lean too rich or another problem?
I have the 3MM hex for the mixture adjust- very little goes a long way in adjustments-
Please... very confused at this point what is keeping the engine at 'cold' start from continuing to grumble to a purr...???!!!!
oregonmud
Old 10-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you install the pop valve pointed backwards? Such that it opens into the air filter? Backfire gets it stuck open and you need to remove the air filter to release it. Do you hear it slap shut when you remove the air filter?
Old 10-29-2003, 11:41 AM
oregonmud
Intermediate

Come to think of it- recenttly when perusing Dempsey's- I saw one installed, and it was facing the front of the car. I took my car into a mechanic awhile ago and the day I got it bak the pop-off... popped off- literally. So I installed it with it's jaws facing the front of the car and 'mouth' facing the rear... incorrect???
Mark
Old 10-29-2003, 12:11 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by oregonmud
Come to think of it- recenttly when perusing Dempsey's- I saw one installed, and it was facing the front of the car. I took my car into a mechanic awhile ago and the day I got it bak the pop-off... popped off- literally. So I installed it with it's jaws facing the front of the car and 'mouth' facing the rear... incorrect???
Mark
Per the Pelican Article, it should look like this:

Old 10-29-2003, 12:55 PM
oregonmud
Intermediate

MINE'S BASSACKWARDS
Thanks Harry...
Mark

Quick Reply: OTC oil cooler???