Gasoline smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003 | 07:09 PM
Beethoven
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline smell

Hi everyone,

I know this has been asked a few times, but my car reeked of gasoline today. I had it filled up the other day, it then sat for a day. I don't seem to lose any gas, judging from the indicator, and there's nothing I can see underneath the car. Smell seems to come from the outside, though, most notably when I open the door. Fuel line?
Also, I think I detected the good old foghorn sound even at high speed today.
Good thing this happens before I take the car to the shop, although I'm looking with trepidation at what this first little outing to the mechanic might cost me.

Funny line of cars on the freeway today: first a red 996, then a brown SC ('83?), then me in the '88. While the SC and I were exchanging thumbs up, the waterboy was looking stonefaced ahead. What is it with these guys??

Cheers,
Beethoven
'88 Coupe
Old 08-08-2003 | 10:21 PM
mrizvi66
1st Gear

Check the fuel line hose that is coming from the fuel pump. Mine was too big and I was losing fuel and it reeked of fuel.
Old 08-09-2003 | 06:27 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Beethoven,

Also check the large rubber hose at the filler neck to tank, over the years it tends to shrink just enough that the hoseclamps become loose. My 84 would have this same smell only when near full. No leaks, just a wiff of vapor. A few turns of the screw and all was well.

I think a bundle of the newer cars were sold to people who were interested in status rather than as enthusiasts. And it shows...try flashing them sometimes
Old 08-09-2003 | 06:55 PM
gavin11
Intermediate

Beethoven,

A couple things to try: First, check your gas cap. The rubber seals will wear out over time and this can allow fumes to escape. I saw a big improvement when I replaced my gas cap. ~$20. Second, the rubber fuel lines tend to lose their elasticity over the years. I had a crack in the line from my rear fuel pump to the accumulator ( I have a '88 930). The lines aren't that difficult to replace.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2003 | 11:49 AM
purrybonker
Pro

I'll add to the list of possibles...

Fuel pump can "sweat" gas, feel the top of the brace (cross-member, shield) that runs under the tank for a wet spot.

Avoid sleeping there at all costs...

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2003 | 12:53 PM
Beethoven
Intermediate

Alas, a call from the mechanic today notified me that it was the major fuel line breaking up, that a new one has to be ordered, and that I had been lucky the whole engine hadn't gone up in flames. $700 plus installation.
Ouch!
Old 08-15-2003 | 01:23 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beethoven,
Ouch is right! According to Pelican there are three fuel lines: 1) Front fuel pressure line - $74.00, 2) bulk fuel line - $39.50 and 3) Rear fuel pressure line - $47.95. There may be a few odds and ends figure another $35 -$50 (clamps, clips, etc., ) but according to my addition, that's around $200.00 or so. Unless I'm missing something (of which I could be), that should cover it. IMO, $700 plus install is way out of line. I'd check around.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2003 | 11:08 PM
Beethoven
Intermediate

Jim,
it's $700 with install, sorry. I'm picking up the car on Monday and post what exactly was the matter.
In another respect, the mechanic saved me money: he was quite adamant that I should drive the car through the winter, not only because winters here have become so mild, but also because these cars, with lighter oil, are perfectly capable of handling cold weather and even a bit of snow. It's just a matter of keeping it clean and saltfree underneath and around the wheels as much as possible. I know that's anathema to some (the PO claimed the car hadn't even seen rain), but here goes.

Beethoven
'88 Carrera Coupe
Old 08-16-2003 | 03:41 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Good to hear that your wrench has a reasonable opinion about these cars!There is no reason not to drive your 911 in the winter time. These cars are built in an area where there is plenty of ugly weather and salt to boot. The galvanized body is actually not that prone to rust. Unless you have a show car, USE it! The heater is working pretty good too on these cars (as much as I can tell in a moderate climate). I bet the heater is at least orders of magnitude better than the bug's setup.

Cheers, George
Old 08-17-2003 | 08:27 PM
BGCarrera32
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So when you say it was the major fuel line, are you referring to the long pressure line that runs through the shift tunnel or the one that jumps between the 2 injector rails on the engine?

-BG
Old 08-20-2003 | 11:06 PM
Beethoven
Intermediate

Sorry for the delay,
I picked up the car today--the culprit was the high-pressure fule line that comes up from underneath to the top of the engine (part # FO-93011059505, $504.74 a pop). The rubber was obviously leaking. It's apparently a major job to install (6hs). The rest of the charges were minor, like break pads, a/c recharge, windshield washer pump, oil change.
Looking through the ervice records I noticed that a previous mechanic had aleted the PO to the fuel line problem, but no action was taken (The PPI didn't mention it and I didn't think of calling it). Oh well.

Herr Fischer--a seriously competent Porsche guru who had some remarkable vehicles on his premises getting ready for the big Road America race on Labour day--said that otherwise the car was in perfect shape, mechanically and cosmetically. That I liked to hear--I just hope he won't have to say it too often in the future!
Thanks for interest.

Beethoven
'88 Carrera Coupe

Quick Reply: Gasoline smell