Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How much 'em I looking at a rolling chassis fer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How much 'em I looking at a rolling chassis fer?

I'm very much a Porsche enthusiast. While this past half decade I've been primarily a fan of the liquid cooled variety; 997 & 991. It was the 993 Turbo that got me hooked when I fell in love with it's shape.

Lately I've grown more and more to love the shape of the original designs of 911s. I'm not necessarily into restoring a 60's or 70's but wouldn't mind taking it on. I've helped friends on the undertaking of fixing-up non running and restoring many VW Beetles, Nissan Z's and a myriad of American muscle cars since my high school days. Including body, welding and electrical.

At the moment what are the ranges of prices on rolling Chassis's specifically long and short hoods? Talking no engine or trans specifically and brakes or suspension. But I wouldn't mind buying a number 4 car or someone's project car within reason.

Any input would be appreciated, Gracias...
Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I too have been smitten by the older 911's...

I have come to realize that 1965-1968 short wheel base cars are rare and too rich for my blood dead or alive.
The 1969-1973 long hoods are also expensive however you may find a roller or project for reasonable money.

You could always buy a 1974-1989 impact bumper car and backdate it to look like a 1969-1973.....
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What, exactly, do you want to end up with?

Have you spent much intimate time with torsion bar chassis 911s?

When I'm discussing these with the "going backwards" buyer, that's where I start.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I want to end up with driver's car with just more than sufficient power. I agree a lot with what I've read at Motor Meister's webpage. I would like more low end torque for off the line red light duty. I also wish to have the ability to tighten up or loosen up the suspension to dial it in for my mood or a comfortable long trip while at the same time having super tight steering. I hate the way the rubber on the sides of the front bumpers look.

I didn't know you could buy a newer 911 and make it look older. Will probably get a ducktail too.

What are your thoughts?

Oh and no on both questions...
Old 05-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting you should mention this. Take a look at my Ruby Redux III thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ght=Ruby+Redux

I am into this car exactly $3,020.00 If I had the time and energy, she's already be rolling. Maybe you and I should talk.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
I want to end up with driver's car with just more than sufficient power. I agree a lot with what I've read at Motor Meister's webpage. I would like more low end torque for off the line red light duty. I also wish to have the ability to tighten up or loosen up the suspension to dial it in for my mood or a comfortable long trip while at the same time having super tight steering. I hate the way the rubber on the sides of the front bumpers look.

I didn't know you could buy a newer 911 and make it look older. Will probably get a ducktail too.

What are your thoughts?

Oh and no on both questions...
If you're looking at anything the late Motor Meister published, I'll refrain from posting further.............

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Interesting you should mention this. Take a look at my Ruby Redux III thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ght=Ruby+Redux

I am into this car exactly $3,020.00 If I had the time and energy, she's already be rolling. Maybe you and I should talk.
Plus a couple of miscellaneous items I didn't remove.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by race911
Plus a couple of miscellaneous items I didn't remove.
You know I am about an inch tall over it too. Spending $7,200 in cash on my mother in law's funeral was an expense I did not factor in. Who would have thought that all her relatives with their massive houses and fancy cars were so cash strapped that they wouldn't have a dime to burry a loved one? I will pull the parts and get them to you this weekend. Send me a PM to remind me what I owe you. My mind has been elsewhere.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
You know I am about an inch tall over it too. Spending $7,200 in cash on my mother in law's funeral was an expense I did not factor in. Who would have thought that all her relatives with their massive houses and fancy cars were so cash strapped that they wouldn't have a dime to burry a loved one? I will pull the parts and get them to you this weekend. Send me a PM to remind me what I owe you. My mind has been elsewhere.
I don't need anything right away. Thought you were going to just raid the parts bins over at the guy's shop--would be pointless to strip stock parts off that would then just need to be reinstalled.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Well, if you wanted to see Ruby "come home", I have a spare 1974 911S motor that came out of Tweety Bird. And PLENTY of Fuchs 7's and 8's. I even have a complete set of brand-new, never installed, real 930 factory calipers (front and rear) waiting for a new home!
Old 05-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by race911
I don't need anything right away. Thought you were going to just raid the parts bins over at the guy's shop--would be pointless to strip stock parts off that would then just need to be reinstalled.
Ya, pulling parts at Einmalig is the better route. I haven't even talked to them in three weeks. I told him what was going on with family and that my budget took a 90 day hit.

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Well, if you wanted to see Ruby "come home", I have a spare 1974 911S motor that came out of Tweety Bird. And PLENTY of Fuchs 7's and 8's. I even have a complete set of brand-new, never installed, real 930 factory calipers (front and rear) waiting for a new home!
You are just the guy I am looking for. Ruby deserves a good home. I know I'm just an intermediate helpmate enjoying the rebuild process as long as I can. Maybe we could trade some 8's for her.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

How well does that Targa hold up "in the wet"?

My brain keeps on beeting into me "Long Hood". But if I can save something newer from the late 70s through the 80s before Porsche did thd redesign and make it look retro, like that old coupe from that link I followed in the Ruby Redux III posting.

Further, I fell in love with the Singer Interior and would like to infringe on "some" styling cues. Primarily materials and keeping a more spartan appearance.

Depending on the condition of the vehicle I don't mind going the rotisserie route to restore the body.

Now I've Mentioned Motor Meister because searches have led me there. Further isn't that the Place where the Gruppe R folks use to assemble for C&C on the weekends - though I could be way off on that one - Google Ratings has Motor Meisters down to 1.5 stars from 14 ratings. Maybe that discussion should be for another posting?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Motor Meister was a criminal operation that was shut down by the authorities.. The owner has reopened in a neighboring town under a different name. It is a discussion for a different time.

Ultimately Ruby would be turned into a longhood if I had the funds and space for two Pcars. Her interior is calling my name. I want to do the same suede RSR door cards as my blue car. I could tie it all in with new panels in the back as well. She also needs some new Perlon felt carpet in the front. She is the perfect resto/mod candidate.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

But hey lets face it .. if you get a car with a redone engine from MM , you bascally have a rolling chassis
Old 05-23-2014, 06:07 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

If you decide to backdate a 1974-1989, the 1986 was the last year for the 915 transmission.

Do the long nose and delete the accordian bumpers and you have a nice 911 coupe.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
But hey lets face it .. if you get a car with a redone engine from MM , you bascally have a rolling chassis
Rim-Shot Please rat-tat-tat-tat....

Well if that is the case for MM then the Justice Department or someone needs to take down the website!

What about Interior, can I make that retro aswell?

Damn I'm really bummed about Motor Meister too. Located in Downey of all places just around the corner from where I grew up in North Long Beach and where a few of my good friends from way back live today. Sorry for all those folks got screwed over.

By the way is there any preffered reading on the itterations coming up through thd years. Talking books that have pictures and such. Seems like there is a ton of information out there - trapped in people's heads. I just have to get more acquainted with it.

Quick Reply: How much 'em I looking at a rolling chassis fer?