Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How much 'em I looking at a rolling chassis fer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just google image search "911 backdate" for ideas. There is always a thread or two going on Pelican too.

My interior cues include the MOMO Prototipo wheel, RSR door cards, Perlon felt carpet, backseat delete, tilted gauges, clock delete/warning light, adjustable gas pedal, and not much more. Gives the impression of being a purpose built and period correct euro touring car. Once the center console it out she will be good to go. Unfortunately my wife loves the stock seats or I'd have rusnak's old Racaro seats installed already.

Go with what you like. If there is one thing Mangus Walker has done for the hobby it's give license to the rest of us to go with whatever moves us.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Go with what you like. If there is one thing Mangus Walker has done for the hobby it's give license to the rest of us to go with whatever moves us.
Which is what I did in '81, off of guys who were the first assault on the old, worn stock cars of the '60s and '70s.

Not the first thread I've posted 911 #1 in, but what I was doing when I was 19. Many, many PCA and POC time trial cars were the inspiration, as well as an old IROC that had been cast aside into SCCA Club Racing that happened to get towed in by some stoner dude on an open trailer behind a beat up '60s Chevy pickup down at Willow one race.
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

^^^ Is that the same car?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the Longhood Friday: 964 backdates and other retro ideas thread but that's the wrong model; yet provides inspiration none the less. Some awesome kit going on their!

Further, I would like to know where Moal he got the upholstery done for that fighter plane inspired rod he did. For doing hot rods, Coddington and many others have absolutely nothing on his designs.

Oh and the comment on the 915 Gearbox, isn't that because they are pretty much the standard, comparatively easy to work on in comparison to newer trannys and just plain cheaper new and with core exchange?

Oh and on a side note it seems I want to vomit each time I hear Retro and Mod in the same sentence. It's even tougher to see the crap with them, that is on TV, compared to hotrods nowadays. For instance when watching Mecum Auctions - sometimes I feel they need to be more selective on what they let in their auctions.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 05-23-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ya, themes don't go over well with me. I want stripped down, purpose built, light weight, minimalistic, race inspired, and nothing more. The more that gets thrown away the better.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
^^^ Is that the same car?
Yes. '68 Coupe with a faux 2.0S engine that failed on me during one of those "Cannonball" type 12 hour road rallies we used to run. What's an 18 year old with no prior mechanical experience to do? Said here many times, Woods, Anderson, Pasha, and an old German who would get drunk and tell me stories about being on a tank under Rommel all encouraged me. Oh, and said German had a 2.8L RSR engine that came from somewhere in a '72 Targa. So I got the bug on what fast was. Back then, anyway.

Scrounged up a 2.0S engine in pieces, the case of which was needed for a Daytona effort in a GTU 914-6, and had at it. Then a 2.7L core came along for what we'd all come to know as the generic RS engine upgrade. Wrap the best LA chopper gun fiberglass you could get at the time around that short wheelbase chassis, plop in some Recaros that were excess from the Mustang Turbo in '80 (this guy in Berkeley bought probably 50 pairs that we put in everything from my 911 to the lowliest 510), mount some Gotti wheels (what that IROC car had)......and a $400 paint job later I had a really fun car for my college days.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:37 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Wuuh Boy, 510 Datsuns are now very rare even for southern California.

I remember when the hoodlums use to steal Fieros for their seats because they had the speakers in the headrest. 99% of the time those seats would end up in VW Bugs in the early 90's. At least Socal...
Old 05-23-2014, 10:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah the "Outlaw" thing has been going on since the 1960-70s. Anyone recall the name Gary Emory? http://www.partsobsolete.com/index.p...ask=view&id=19

Not to lecture anyone here, but it's a real injustice to give credit to Magnus for that, although he does sort of fit the R-Gruppe motif.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
Yeah the "Outlaw" thing has been going on since the 1960-70s. Anyone recall the name Gary Emory? http://www.partsobsolete.com/index.p...ask=view&id=19

Not to lecture anyone here, but it's a real injustice to give credit to Magnus for that, although he does sort of fit the R-Gruppe motif.
Dude, there is a 356 in the outside parking area of European Collectibles that is the hottest looking Outlaw I have ever seen. It has the later low profile spare tires made into the coolest wheels you've ever seen. Gotta be an employee car.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/4483707749.html
Old 05-24-2014, 12:28 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, one of Emory's outlaws was written up in Excellence Magaine: "Revival of the Fittest" and had those wheels. It's one of the many things that he's known for.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:58 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak

Not to dump on him, but the only thing that is special about "Magnus Walker" is that silly first name of his - is that a name he gave himself or where actual parents involved(?) - and again the R Gruppe Outlaw/Modification Motifs. That and the fact that he "Marketed" himself/his-brand and those stinky dreadlocks he needs to get cut off. Again R Gruppe guys were doing similar things to.their rare 911's mixing and matching and plain not caring what other thought that they should Not be doing to rare old 911's. Before them the exceptable thing to do was to restore to original OEM style stock. Oh that and an extremely clique-ish method of acceptance into the club. And I've even heard a few of them talking about how they invite someone into "the club". It's more about having a personality that fits in with the 'Gruppe'. Remember, you have to have standards. I wish I could find that episode of that TV program, can't remember which one, where one of the members was talking about the whole process. It appeared on Velocity and for some reason I could swear their meeting spot was outside of MM Saturday mornings (MY apologies, they meet in front of E.A.S.Y - European Automotive Salvage Yard - in Berkeley, not Motor Meister's thank god. Saw the episode of Chasing Classic Cars this morning where Wayne Visits EASY and then goes to a Pig roast - hmm Pork Fat! I blame that on all the "fun" I had in my college years and for what some others pre-judge me with these days.

Have fun Saturday morning y'all, I have my weekly meetings to attend as well.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 06-03-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Tacet, any chance you are still in SoCal?
Old 05-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Bakersfield at the moment.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Again R Gruppe guys were doing similar things to.their rare 911's mixing and matching and plain not caring what other thought that they should Not be doing to rare old 911's. Before them the exceptable thing to do was to restore to original OEM style stock.
1980, Cris and me in the College of Alameda parking lot, or Rodney Chew and Cris meeting around town in Oakland, or Rod and me at a local repair shop where the owner and his cousin were racing SCCA. THAT is where Cris started what would become R Gruppe--long before he met up with Freeman Thomas. We didn't give a rat's *** about stock on 911s. And that came from what we'd seen in the Golden Gate Region time trial and autocross.

Can't specifically comment on what was going on in So Cal, but I bumped straight on into it when I'd made my way into the POC scene when I moved to AZ to finish college in '83.

Quick Reply: How much 'em I looking at a rolling chassis fer?