you have 100% missed the point.....
Then please tell us the point.....
Old 05-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
you have 100% missed the point.....
I'm not saying you intend to look down your nose at us. I'm saying that's how it comes off. It screams so loudly at us that your point is lost.

....and ya, what was your point?
Old 05-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow- There are even bigger ego's here.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
Then please tell us the point.....
point was I never once singled out all DIY builders..... read the posts...
Some sensitive individuals must feel like they are being singled out for what ever reason?
borderline trolling going on at this point...
Old 05-20-2014, 01:47 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
I'm not saying you intend to look down your nose at us. I'm saying that's how it comes off. It screams so loudly at us that your point is lost.

....and ya, what was your point?
How do you figure it comes off as such?
Merely stated that not all DIY homebuilds come out looking like a rose which is an obvious claim.
There are always a few out there who have slapped together a car and think they can do it just as good as the next car or a "Magnus" car for example.. not saying everybody, so I am confused as to why it would seem offensive?
Perhaps offensive to somebody who slapped together a car but that is about all.. And not saying there is anything wrong about a car slapped together or a first time build as long as it is not passed off as something other then what it is....

Surely somebody like yourself who has built a great example at home can relate when it is assumed by some to be so "easy"......
Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I totally agree that some builds come up short, and believe it or not, I am guilty. It took me months to get my wheels right, and my '69R lights are "ricer" to even long term owners. Overall though, I've not seen bad work here. Been here most days for years and just dont see it.

Now there was Oshin11. Post grad student at UCSB that didn't understand why his front wheels would spin when he tried to remove them while the car was on jacks. .....after all, he left it in gear just like his Honda. that was a guy you had to just take under wing and help.

Tell us about TCS Racing.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Guessing you are Tom Collingwood

http://instagram.com/tcsracing1#

http://tcspeed.com/

It's all starting to make sense.

http://instagram.com/p/i71GraszDr/

http://instagram.com/p/nQkCkmMzNO/

You are a Canadian shop owner. That's cool. Now that more cards are on the table, please understand that many of us refuse to pay guys like you to do work a monkey could do. In fact, more guys can do the work themselves than realize it. I was paranoid about breaking something when I started on my car. Turns out the car is so simple and rubust it's almost boring compared to some of my other cars. Truth be told, if I can do it, we all can do it. Isn't that what this board is for anyway? Isn't this board for seeking and sharing? Looking for and finding answers is what made this place. Sure wasn't the 928.

Anyway...Now that we have broken your *****..... Welcome to the 911 board.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:28 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Guessing you are Tom Collingwood

http://instagram.com/tcsracing1#

http://tcspeed.com/

It's all starting to make sense.

http://instagram.com/p/i71GraszDr/

http://instagram.com/p/nQkCkmMzNO/

You are a Canadian shop owner. That's cool. Now that more cards are on the table, please understand that many of us refuse to pay guys like you to do work a monkey could do. In fact, more guys can do the work themselves than realize it. I was paranoid about breaking something when I started on my car. Turns out the car is so simple and rubust it's almost boring compared to some of my other cars. Truth be told, if I can do it, we all can do it. Isn't that what this board is for anyway? Isn't this board for seeking and sharing? Looking for and finding answers is what made this place. Sure wasn't the 928.

Anyway...Now that we have broken your *****..... Welcome to the 911 board.
Canadian and U.S (Florida) shop owner to be correct.

Naturally we all started out in our own garages. It is what it is all about. These boards are a great weath of information.
And although more people can do the work themselves then they realize, some just do not have the time to do it or the patients to learn how to do it, nor the facilities.

In regards to jobs a monkey can do, well if more monkeys had proper paint booths and experience in metal/fiberglass panel fitment then I wouldnt have to maintain the overhead of a licensed body shop.

Last edited by tcsracing1; 05-20-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Canadian and U.S (Florida) shop owner to be correct.

Naturally we all started out in our own garages. It is what it is all about. These boards are a great weath of information.
And although more people can do the work themselves then they realize, some just do not have the time to do it or the patients to learn how to do it, nor the facilities.

In regards to jobs a monkey can do, well if more monkeys had proper paint booths and experience in metal/fiberglass panel fitment then I wouldnt have to maintain the overhead of a licensed body shop.
Ya, Florida could use your services. Good call on shop location.

I started taking apart my mother's kitchen when I was just starting to walk. It was obvious early on that I had a knack for nuts and bolts. All my neighbors and daycare families constantly ask me to fix things. I am the king of swapping out fuel injectors, timing belts, and simple things like that for friends. The local gas station mechanic almost got violent with me when he saw http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...de_reader.html sitting on the seat of my van.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Plavan
Wow- There are even bigger ego's here.
You just have tool envy.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2014, 04:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

A friend of mine is redoing his 2.7 as we speak . He has been a Mac truck mechanic for years . is very knowledgeable on all kinds of engines.

last night we put it back in and fired it up . it ran amazing , just a couple of exhaust leaks to figure out.
I asked him about it and he said it was way more complex an engine than he ever could have anticipated. he said it was still within his skill set but didnt think it would be that complicated .. learned a few things the hard way along the way but he said he reall enjoyed it.

He put the whole thing together and the valve/ piston clearance was wrong. He toally missed the paragraph that said dry fit everything first ...
We laughed about it but he said he wasnt laughing when he did it .

All that to say there are many things on these engines a Monkey couldnt do ...
Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Very true, Clive. Let's hope none of us ever have to be faced with that same mistake unless we want to be that deep into an engine. What exactly did he do wrong? Was it cam timing or a jug to case shim issue?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

Very true, Clive. Let's hope none of us ever have to be faced with that same mistake unless we want to be that deep into an engine. What exactly did he do wrong? Was it cam timing or a jug to case shim issue?
you guessed it Doug .. jug case shim .. and he had everything epoxied too ... that SUCKS .. At least we got to do the cam timing all over again .. we had a great set up .. on one side of the engine we had a dowel in the spark plug hole with a dial guage so we could see true TDC ( i dont like marks on pulleys )

on the other side we had a stromski set up fastened across two vc studs and held the dial indicator over the keeper.. was actually really cool to see how it all works .. you can read about it all day but until you have done it the lights dont go on ..
he did it in about 2 minutes ( as he does this kind of stuff every day ) . so i madehim teach me , that took like an hour
Old 05-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

^^^ I'm always amazed at what can be found on youtube. Masters that give away trade secrets just for the advertising click. Bring it.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Tom, what do you think of my Mangus inspired interior?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Magnus Walker 72 Hot Rod up for grabs