Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche.com Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Porsche.com Classic

Has anybody sent a car to Stuttgart for either engine restoration or a full restoration? Reading the downloadable pdf's on Porsche's sight about having Porsche restore your classic is very intriguing. I bet it is expensive but they provide authentication documents, parts list and hundreds of photos during restoration. For the price that some of the long hoods are going for these days it might be pretty sweet to restore one that way! Bueller Bueller.....

----------------------------
---------
----------------------------
2000 911 Carrera C2
1986 911 Carrera Targa
Old 03-25-2014, 12:29 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 237 Posts

if money were no object it would be sweet to get a zero time factory new old car.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:44 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recall some time ago someone looked into it and found Porsche was going to charge them near 200k to restore their car. It was a regular model, not rare or special.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 AM
Conza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I think if you're going to do this, you'd want it to be;

A. A you already own OR an extremely cheap classic that'll be worth near the restoration cost
or
B. Almost perfect anyway, still high value, and for Porsche to add value with this look over (with it not costing 200k if the car was near perfect.
or
C. Not care about money and get a new old car like the OP says.

If you're going to keep it, and can afford it, and your car is a little tired, and you want to - I guess you should, there probably aren't enough cars that have had this treatment to know exactly what value they add, and even if its nothing at all (highly unlikely) the car you get back is new, pretty cool how Porsche will do this for their classics, I don't know of any other company that does.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

California has several shops capable of doing what Porsche Classic is doing.

CPR or California Porsche Restoration in Fallbrook, is one with a world class reputation. The last time I was there they claimed to own enough cars to keep themselves busy for a decade.

The average invoice was something like $50K if your car was already in fantastic shape.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Elsewhere here you will find Nineneister's Thread on my 2.4S resto. I often wondered about going to Porsche for the work and the answers I came up with were;

- only worthwhile for a very high value car
- Porsche AG restro is not always correct as in they use Porsche Classic parts some of which are not exactly like the old part.
- Porsche AG craftsmen in some cases dont have the intiminate knowledge found in Independents, too young mostly ? Have Porsche AG lost the skills , look at the charity restro done a few years ago.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:37 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the feedback all! Sorry I have been offline for a few days!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

One of the Porsche family members sent his 356 to Road Scholars. Why send a car to Germany?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
One of the Porsche family members sent his 356 to Road Scholars. Why send a car to Germany?
Cool site. Thank you

http://www.road-scholars.com/
Old 03-28-2014, 03:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

You're welcome. Really good guys. They helped Dr Bill Jackson find worthy homes for some of his uber rare vehicles in addition to putting some of them into their permanent collection. If you ever have an opportunity to see their cars do it. They usually have a couple at Amelia and Pebble Beach every year. Everything they show is amazing.

Quick Reply: Porsche.com Classic