Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can't Remove Cyl #1 Sparkplug 87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 PM
galyons
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't Remove Cyl #1 Sparkplug 87 Carrera

I am replacing the plugs, wires, cap and rotor on my 3.2L 87 Carrera. R&R'd all plugs but #1, which I thought would be the easiest. (closest to distro, easiest to access), but...

I cannot get a purchase on the plug hex. The spark plug socket doesn't seem to go all the way down as it did on the other 5 plugs.

I looked with flashlight and mirror and cannot see anything obstructing. Quite frustrating!!

Never had this issue before, (changed plugs in 911E, SC, 912E, 356, 914) . This is my first go on my 3.2 Carrera. Is there something different about #1? A special trick? I tried different angles, jiggle on and other "Gi'me a break!" actions, but nada!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Big drive next week, plus a smog check prior...so why is this plug stumping me?

Cheers,
Geary
Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

The factory spark plug tool would be the best to use in that case ... is the rubber insert displaced in your socket ?
Try using a regular socket without the rubber insert,you might get a better fit !

Cheers
Phil
Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

You might think this tongue-in-cheek, but it's not.

Have you looked into the plug well with a mirror or anything? I was helping a friend of mine pull maintenance on his 3.2 once and we had the same problem. Looking into the hole at the plug we found the area around the plug filled up with nuts (I don't remember the variety)! It seems little critters just love hiding things in areas like that.

We rigged a small nozzle on the end of a vacuum cleaner hose to suck them out of there and the problem was solved. Some we had to break up with a screwdriver to promote that. But in his case it wasn't just one plug well, but several.

Anyway, worth a look if you haven't already (and an amusing story to boot.).
Old 10-09-2013, 08:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

first thing i thought was rubber left on from previous socket. if that is the last one po did he may not have noticed. i like both suggestions above.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 PM
galyons
4th Gear

Default Solved!

Success! Dug out my tool kit and used the spark plug tool. The plug was bit stiff to remove, (torque required versus the other 5 plugs). New Magnecore wires, cap and rotor, cat back in...bring on the smog test!!

Thanks to all who responded!

Cheers,
Geary
Old 10-09-2013, 10:56 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Similar issue on mine years ago. Reverted back to the stock tool kit and it came right out. I must have tried 5 or 6 specialty sockets.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:33 PM
galyons
4th Gear

Default Crap!

Saturday morning....drove like crazy, nice hot temp, cat cooking....Smog test measurements all super!

Notice the F'in FAIL? Tech looks under the RR wheel well and sees the charcoal canister, reaches up a tugs the large hose, hits the small hose and it breaks off.... FAIL!!!!

Mad dash to Parts Heaven in s#!tty traffic, they were kind enough to wait for me until 35 minutes after closing. $24 new hoses. Installed today, back to SMOG tomorrow!!!

Cheers,
Geary
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM
galyons
4th Gear

Default Success!!

Pass the EVAP and new smog test....good to go!

Cheers,
Geary
Old 10-14-2013, 07:25 PM
CVDH
Racer

Congrats on passing, buddy!

Quick Reply: Can't Remove Cyl #1 Sparkplug 87 Carrera