Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

About to take on chain box covers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The muffler and the boxes are all of the powder and ceramic coated parts. Had all the normal stuff powder coated with a couple of individual subtle touches. Had all exhaust components except for the coolest ones, heat exchangers ceramic coated. Couldn't justify expense of ceramic coating heat exchangers, they've got a couple of dents in them here and there. Just going to paint them with VHT primer grey.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Probably will not start assembly until next week. A little paranoid about rust. Lightly coated parts back from Ollie's with oil and bagged them until next week. Then, I plan on cleaning them again with lacquer thinner and isopropyl alcohol or brake cleaner and alcohol.
The cleaning stuff and trying to keep everything "clean room" clean is a little maddening. Really want to get to assembly.

In Wayne's book he writes you should inspect and clean the oil pump. How do you do that? I don't want to open the pump. It went straight from the case to a plastic bag. Have not touched it since.
Attached Images    
Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I've not messed with a Porsche oil pump but have on other cars foreign and domestic. There is usually a tolerance check on the pump mechanism for wear but I've never had to replace parts unless there was scoring on the base plate where the rotational elements sat. It is oil immersed and gets the best lubrication of anything on the vehicle.
I'll defer to the serious Porsche guru's on this tho.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:41 AM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pat. I've thought about submerging it in a tub of lacquer thinner. Seriously.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnm1
Thanks Pat. I've thought about submerging it in a tub of lacquer thinner. Seriously.
Unless the motor had excessive metal bits evidenced in the disassembly, I'm not sure I'd do that. That's just me.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Not a lot exciting going on. JB Welded the case plugs Ollie's R & R'd. Put right side of case back on the stand. I used the Stomski adapter kit when disassembling. The aluminum spacers were too long for my yoke and I had to cut them down. When I removed them I found both of them had mushroomed and the washer had split. I guess you're not supposed to torque those to 35ft. lbs. Anyway, stopped by Lowes doing some chores around house and happened upon some steel spacers that seem to work pretty good. Cut a piece off an m10 washer to make it flat on one side.

Cleaning out head stud bores.
Attached Images       
Old 12-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Used an ARP clean out thread chaser. Didn't want to use a tap, for fear of screwing up threads.
Attached Images    
Old 12-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Should theses two spots have JB Weld over them?
Attached Images   
Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do when i rebuild
Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Got rods installed on crank yesterday and sealed up case today. It was not without drama. Nothing went right. I made a couple of stupid mistakes, like putting two washers on two case perimeter studs. The case mating was the real problem. My tools didn't quite work as planned. Ended up calling my wife to the garage. Popped an oil pump seal out, had to stop and remove case put that back in. One of the right side studs nicked the front of the left side case's boss, just in front of the rear intermediate shaft bearing causing the bearing to pop out. Removed case. Cleaned bearing. Checked boss, slight scratch just in front of where the bearing seats. Re-installed bearing.
Every time I went to lower the case a rod would fall over and get caught.
Took ten minutes to install.
Went ten minutes over my torque time. After getting everything torqued. Went around and double checked. Missed rearmost bottom and front most bottom nuts. Found where I had installed two washers on two top nuts.
I think nerves got the better of me.

Got a decent amount of squeeze out. Little more at bottom then at top.
Feeling pretty stupid.
Attached Images         
Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Used Brad Penn assembly lube. Didn't take pics of that. The bench looked so neat when I started. Didn't look like that after. Thinking about disassembling it and starting over. I'll need to get new O-rings and clean the sealant off everything, I don't know. Seems to spin OK.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

To me, you have a lot of sealant squeezing out. I can't help but wonder if you didn't use too much?

You can take thin alum sheet, and cut strips to hold the rods up.

I did a dry run before I assembled for real, just to get a feel for what would be happening.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Ed, thinking about dissasembling and starting over. My only real concern with that is making sure none of the Three Bond comes loose when removing left side case and falls into oil passage.

Quick Reply: About to take on chain box covers.