Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who still has original paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by quincydog
Original guards red paint after a professional detail. The PO didn't take the best of care with the paint. There were many white oxidized paint patches when I first took ownership.
Nice Quincy! Where are you on the Island?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my original paint. About 70K on the car, hasn't seen sunlight except for a few hours on the trailer and clean-up for about 15 years.
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

I think mine's original. Lots of chips and minor scratches though. How would people here suggest fixing the chips and so on?
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amochosto
I think mine's original. Lots of chips and minor scratches though. How would people here suggest fixing the chips and so on?
Wow, I love that color! I don't think I have ever seen it before your post. What is the color called?

To answer your question; if the chips are plentiful it will be difficult to hide. With the age of the paint your best option is a total repaint. If you try to just respray the hood or front end it will probably not match the rest of the car. I do think a professional detail would make a big difference in the overall appearance.

I have seen that DR. Colorchip or something like that but have never tried it so cannot say if it works.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Thanks for the compliment!

The colour is Pacific Blue Metalic, it was only available on SCs for two years in the 81-82 timeframe I think it was. But whoever the original owner of this car was, ordered Pacific Blue as a special order for some reason (it's an ’84 Carrera).

I think it would be a shame to respray a special order paint job, but maybe oneday I'll change my mind.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be a shame to respray a special order paint job, but maybe oneday I'll change my mind.
I am not suggesting you change the color but have it properly repainted to its original color. Your car looks great in the picture but I assume when you get closer is when you see the chips, etc.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote to leave that color as is, with flaws intact.

Ever go to a car show and see a very original car that is 50 years old with it's original paint and all the flaws showing? It'll get more attention than the fresh 6 figure restoration that's a few spaces away.

This past summer I was at the local ice cream shop car show (which typically features over restored '50's and 60's Detroit iron) and someone rolled in with a late '20's Franklin. Original interior with maybe 50% original paint (with the rest of the paint being very old as well). The car was rough in some places due to time, but it ran well and was well presented by it's owner. People swarmed the car due to it's originality. It overtook that well attended show.

Leave these cars as they are...they don't have to be flawless...and they are only original once.

I agree, that Pacific Blue is awesome! Love the Phone Dials and the "balloon" 15's!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
MrBonus,

Thanks for the compliments. The paint is horrendous up close due to what I think was the car staying outside for at least 5-7 years from what I was told. The elements took their toll...but Porsche paint is pretty robust.

Your car's color (and car!) is fantastic. My (soon to be someone elses) 964 is Baltic Blue (and original).
Is it peeling or discoloration or is it just scratches and swirls?

Nice looking 964. It's not a color you see very often in the Porsche world.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:28 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jaeger86
I have a Guards Red 1986 with original paint and would like to bring it back to what it could be. What should I use to end with the results shown above? Thanks, Curt
Clay barring to start after a thorough wash. I would highly recommend using an orbital polisher and a cutting pad aggressive enough to fix the paint , depending on how bad the condition of the paint is. If you've never used one, pick up a junkyard piece of sheet metal to practice. You'll need to create some heat in the paint but not enough pressure that you're burning it.

There are a lot of great products out there. I have been using Optimum Hyper Polish for lighter swirls with Optimum II for spots that have deeper cuts and I've been very happy with both products.

http://www.optimumcarcare.com/opound.php?li=3
http://www.optimumcarcare.com/hyperpolish.php?li=3

Don't worry, as MM mentioned previously, red is an easy color to correct as it is relatively soft.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

doctor color chip... for the paint chips.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

I vote to leave that color as is, with flaws intact.

Ever go to a car show and see a very original car that is 50 years old with it's original paint and all the flaws showing? It'll get more attention than the fresh 6 figure restoration that's a few spaces away.

This past summer I was at the local ice cream shop car show (which typically features over restored '50's and 60's Detroit iron) and someone rolled in with a late '20's Franklin. Original interior with maybe 50% original paint (with the rest of the paint being very old as well). The car was rough in some places due to time, but it ran well and was well presented by it's owner. People swarmed the car due to it's originality. It overtook that well attended show.

Leave these cars as they are...they don't have to be flawless...and they are only original once.

I agree, that Pacific Blue is awesome! Love the Phone Dials and the "balloon" 15's!
Balloon 15s will be augmented by;
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Is it peeling or discoloration or is it just scratches and swirls?

Nice looking 964. It's not a color you see very often in the Porsche world.
Paint chips and minor scratches, I am conflicted, I want the car both perfect and original.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paint chips and minor scratches, I am conflicted, I want the car both perfect and original.
It's very hard to have an old car that is perfect and yet original... Even new cars come with flaws.

Balloon 15s will be augmented by
Save those 15's! Someday, they will be worth a bit on the car or as a set.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

A little touch-up paint on some of the bad chips and a solid once-over with a decent cutting compound and you will be shocked by how great your paint looks. As for perfect and original, pick one. My paint looks great but even up close on it, you can see some of its age in the normal places. You can't eliminate the small nicks and chips if you actually enjoy it.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

It's very hard to have an old car that is perfect and yet original... Even new cars come with flaws.

Save those 15's! Someday, they will be worth a bit on the car or as a set.
Definitely won't be selling the Phone Dials they are original to the car.

Quick Reply: Who still has original paint?