Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who still has original paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 AM
audi328
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the paint looks pretty good for a 27-year old, 130K mile car, but unfortunately the clearcoat is starting to go. Outdoors when it's freshly washed and waxed it looks pretty nice overall IMO, but in the shop under the fluorescents, you can see the damage to the clearcoat.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Funny story here, other than for the owner. An acquaintance from my kids' school, is the original owner of an '83 SC in silver. His son wanted to suprise Daddy and clean his car for him. He scrubbed the whole car with a brillo pad and wire brush!! He had to get the whole car and wheels refinished and painted!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:34 AM
masinari
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOVE AND LOYALTY PAYS OFF

Original paint '83 SC with 24k miles. I will be owning the car for 30 years now here in the USA and it went with me to London for 5 years and back to New York/CT.

When I stopped at a gas station recently somebody came over to say "I did not know that they still make these new!" I told him the car was going to be 30years old soon!

When I park it next to my new 997 GT3RS, also in black, the paint looks as good, or better than the new one. 30 years old oil paint much shinier than new water based paint.

Also always garaged and covered, always cleaned with 3M hand glaze, never driven in the rain, unless I am caught in it!
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

That is one great looking SC. I like that color on your Fuchs.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:38 AM
masinari
Advanced

Thanks Ian. It was an original option color (Gold Champagne) offered by Porsche on the Fuchs at the time. Except that at the time when the car was new I went with rim upgrades, 7's front and 9s back OEM Fuchs painted that color. It was a color that a very good friend of mine discovered for his car and we used it on both of our cars.

It is very unique.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:12 PM
awhenry
Advanced

other than a few scratches and other bumps, mine is original and looks good from 10ft. Hope to spend some time with a good detailer and make it better. I am not willing to break the original paint to repair the slight damage that you should expect from a driver.

Quick Reply: Who still has original paint?