Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator woes

So, having been working on my 83 SC for the last few weeks I let my battery get a little to weak before charging it, and noticed my alt light start to come on at idle and would go out over 2k. Battery was old anyway. Replaced. Tested. Same issue. Light on at idle, goes dimmer and off when rpm's over 2k. Put vlt meter on terminals tested. Vltg with car off, 12.5. Car on at idle 11.89 or so. Rev'd up. Vltg at 12. So alternator not charging. Anything I should check before replacing alternator?
Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

just that your belt isnt slipping , but beyond that it sounds like rebuild time. From some of the stories I have heard I would suggest trying to have yours rebuilt rather than trading your alternator away and getting a piece of crap. See if you can find a good alternator/starter motor shop that can rebuild it . usually it needs a new regulator in the back, a couple of brushes, turn the commutator on the lathe and a couple of bearings pressed in.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 AM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

thanks Ice, you and Ed have been really helpful to me. Owe you guys some beer. The rebuild good alternator scenario may have sailed. Looking over PO's receipts, looks like he had alternator replaced in 04. Paid 450.00, so could be OEM, or could've got hosed.

On another note, looks like fan may need to be replaced. Ten out of the eleven blades has jagged trailing edges of the blades near the outer tips.
Attached Images      
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

too bad about the alternator but i have heard this before , thats why i suggested rebuilding yours, but alas you are right and now you are looking for one i would think . Take it to a shop anyway and see what they say.

Oh yeah that fan looks ugly. I think you will find those fans prohibitively expensive as i believe they are magnesium alloy .
The first pic doesn't look too bad but the up close ones look ugly. At least it wont stop you from running, you can use it and keep your eyes out for a replacement. I would see if i could clean it up a bit though but be careful. you dont want to risk unabalancing it. ... but then again .....

i dont know your location but you should be able to get a fan at the Hershey Swap next month meet if you go there, maybe even an alternator .
Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

So, little update. I live near Zims Autotechnik. Went up there to possibly find a used fan and pick-up an alternator, and some other parts. Asked one of the parts guys about getting a used fan in better shape than mine, and he said, all the used fans we have are going to be like yours or worse. But, he suggested putting the fan in the media tumbler and see how it comes out. Looks a lot better. Did the fan housing too. Cleaned with alcohol and soap and water. Ready for clear paint when the humidity is not so high.
Attached Images       
Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks pretty good after tumbling!

You are fortunate to be near Zim's-Kirk is one of the best parts guys I've met.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Yeah, Ed, Kirk is super nice guy to. So is Wayne on the Service side. They've been great.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

wow that looks awesome .... if i only i could do that with some of my old worn out part s ... hip , back , knees..
Old 03-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
wow that looks awesome .... if i only i could do that with some of my old worn out part s ... hip , back , knees..
TMI!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, just make sure that the fan is not out of balance since it is missing some of the impeller blades. If too much is gone, you'll set up a vibration source.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

Due to work and family haven't had a chance to work on car. During removal of fan, key and spacer fell into back of fan. Didn't get to see orientation of spacer. Is the flat side up or raised side up?
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2013, 02:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
John, just make sure that the fan is not out of balance since it is missing some of the impeller blades. If too much is gone, you'll set up a vibration source.
Yep. I was going to say the same thing. I think the fan is made of aluminum alloy, and the housing is made of magnesium alloy. That's why the fan will bend if it hits something but the housing will typically shatter.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

I thought the fan was magnesium and the housing was aluminum, hence the 1k price tag for the fan. Anyway, the amount of chipping is fairly even all the way around, fortunately or unfortunately...
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Johnm1
Rennlist Member

So, I installed new alternator. While securing the belt, found the 6 o'clock position of the fan only had about .005" of clearance to fan housing. I thought the fan had originally made contact with the housing due to the fan belt being to tight and the bearings going out in the alternator. Nope, fan housing warped. Looked like housing clamp was torqued too much. Attempted to "unwarp" the housing with bar clamp. Got it to .010". Removed the housing. Got a bigger clamp/spreader. Got it to .030". Got to try it. Not sure it will hold.

Probably going to need a new housing. Should I get an EPS aluminum one or look for an OEM magnesium one?
Attached Images      
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an aluminum one from Vertex and it works very well. Never have to worry about "warping" again.

Quick Reply: Alternator woes