Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need replacement door pockets

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM
wolds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need replacement door pockets

Hello all. I need to replace the driver and passenger door pockets on my 83 SC. Looks like I have a few options so I'm looking for your advise. Pelican has fiberglass replacements that I could have covered by Classic 9 in carpet ( looks like $949 + shipping). Sierra Madre has fiberglass pockets with domestic carpet already installed ( $748.84 shipping included). With over $200 spread between the two I'm thinking of going with Sierra. Has anyone gone with either of these options or taken a different approach? Thanks, Warren
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

id be looking on ebay and going to swap meets
Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you having to replace them? Are they broken? If not, can buy carpeting for them and recover them. Just need some upholstery glue and an air stapler.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What is wrong with the ones you've got?

What color are you looking for?

I ask, because I just deleted a perfect set of blue ones from my car. I got RS/RSR cards from Bob at www.appbiz.com and covered them in suede. The kit came with black Perlon for the door pockets that I did not use. Bob goes full retard when it comes to making the perfect carpet kit. Not only did I get what I asked for, RS carpet for a Cabriolet, but I got all the parts that normally come in the kit made for a coupe.

So basically some of what you need may be sitting in my shed as we speak. Let's make a deal.

....or just ask Bob to produce the parts that you need. If all you need is the carpets for the door pockets that's a no brainer at Appbiz.

(PS: The kit's sold at SM and PP are made by Bob anyway. )
Old 09-18-2012, 11:14 PM
wolds
Advanced

That price I quoted was for the pockets along with the covers just to be clear. The reason I want to replace the pockets is that the mounts are cracked and I don't think I'll be able to make a satisfactory repair although I won't know for sure till I get them off the door panels. The covers are warped and are in bad shape. I am looking for black pockets and covers. Warren
Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I bought a repair kit from this site for $65. It worked really well. I ended up recovering my pockets because my carpet was not in optimal shape.

The guy also carries the ABS pockets for $300/pair.

https://sites.google.com/site/911por...orpockets/home
Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Take a look at dC Automotive.
Looks like they might have some used black door pockets. http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/475791753
Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM
wolds
Advanced

Well, I looked through the pile of carpeting that the previous owner gave me when I bought the car and discovered that I have replacement carpeting for the door pockets already. I will need to pull my old pockets and see if I can repair them. If not, I can buy the replacement fibreglass ones from Pelican. I think that the carpet has to go around a compound curve on the bottom corners which means that I would cut and fit as required. Is this fairly easy to do? Thanks, Warren
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

i would say it may be worth spending a couple of bucks and just giving to a profesional upholsterer to do if you are unsure. cant be that expensive to do 2 door pockets.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:15 PM
wolds
Advanced

I might do that. I need to take the car over to the local upholstery shop anyhow to see if they can repair the zipper for the top. Warren
Old 09-21-2012, 08:36 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I took mine to an upholsterer after I repaired them with the kit above. I think it was about $150-200 with the replacement carpet from GAHH. My pockets must have teflon on the inside because the carpet came off already on the top part. This was also a problem I had with the previous one as well so make sure you take steps to prep that area.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 AM
wolds
Advanced

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought some ABS ones from the site above about years ago and he recovered them for me. Very good quality.He even trimmed them with leather edging The fibreglass ones I bought from appbiz are crap.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

What about the mousehair insides? Mine are faded and look a little ragged. Is there any way to re-dye or recover them without getting complete new pockets?

Also, what are the originals? ABS? Is there a noticeable difference when you replace them with fiberglass? My original ones are very slightly warped... just enough for someone with OCD (like me) to notice, but not bad enough to warrant $800 replacement. Oh, the irony!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
wolds
Advanced

I talked with Bob at Appbiz earlier today and apparently he doesn't sell replacement pockets. He did give me some advise on how to straighten out my warped ones using a piece of aluminum riveted along the top edge of the pocket. The other issue I have with the old pockets is that the screw hole closest to the door handle is cracked. I think this can be fixed fairly easy though.

Quick Reply: Need replacement door pockets