Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cold notchy G50, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 10:59 PM
JG26
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cold notchy G50, normal?

Just picked up a 1989 Carrera, my first G50 trannied 911 after having shifted a 915 and 901/911 tranny. Now its been a few years since driving a 911 box, but I was surprised how notchy the box is when cold. Engagement is fairly difficult. Now by cold I mean 40-50 degrees (it's been cold lately in NYC).

It has the factory short shifter and I believe it's got Swepco fluids in it. When warmed up it shifts nice. Could it be that the Swepco weight is causing the resistance when cold? Is this normal?

Thanks all

Pete
Old 04-29-2002, 11:16 PM
James Achard
Pro

Pete, My G50 is a little notchy too in the cold weather. I would also recommend switching your fluid to Mobil 1 instead of the Swepco. It works better in these transmissions. As far as warm up goes, I always try to be easy on the shifting until the oil temp is up to normal. I don't have the short shifter installed on my car but I can imagine that that would contribute to the harder shifting.

Cheers, James
Old 04-30-2002, 01:13 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Pete, my G50 is also a bit notchy when cold...I use Mobil One too. That notchy sensation goes away once the car is warmed up.

Just make sure you exxagerate your shifting and ensure the clutch pedal is completely depressed and it doesn't seem as bad.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:40 AM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My G50 is a little notchy the first time you roll. Meaning, first to second is sometimes difficult. I just double clutch the upshift and it goes in fine every time. It only seems to be the first shift that is a little stubborn. All others go pretty good thereafter.

I'll second the Mobil 1 recommendation. I tried Swepco before I heard the advice about G50's liking synthetic lube. I switched to Mobil 1 and noticed the shifting is a little smoother and the low speed gear noise that is typical of the early G50's to be noticeably less.
Old 04-30-2002, 11:39 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like everyone else, I've noticed the G50 is a little notchy for the first few minutes on a cool or cold day.

Also, I highly recommend switching to Mobil 1. I had Mobil 1 in my car when I first purchased it and switched to Swepco at my next fluid change. The gear change was extremely balky after the change, even after the car had been run for a while. I switched back to Mobil 1 after a month and things were back to normal.

Drew
92 C2
Old 04-30-2002, 01:01 PM
JDaniel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '87 is also a bit notchy when cold. The worst is the 1 into 2 shift. I switched to Mobil 1 but didn't notice a difference... Is it normal? I don't know, but it seems common.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:40 PM
PZabo
5th Gear

Thumbs up

Wow, Mobil 1 it is guys. Glad I'm not alone on this one. If I'm backing out of my driveway, I need to be at a complete stop before I even think about putting it into 1st from reverse when it's cold. And the 1-2 shift takes special care when cold also.

I'll try the Mobil 1 in the box and see if it helps. If summer ever comes to the northeast I imagine this will dimish also.

What weight Mobil 1 is everone using? Is there only one grade of synthetic gear oil?
Old 05-01-2002, 01:06 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
75w-90 is the most commonly used viscosity...that's mostly what you'll find out there anyway. You'll need a bit over 3 quarts...so buy four!
Old 05-06-2002, 08:15 PM
JamesR
Intermediate

I purchased a 1988 Carrera this past January an
I've noticed the gearbox a little notchy or even
stiff on cold mornings. It's my first Porsche. I
live in North Georgia. Even now with warmer weather, the shifting is not always smooth. I know
the clutch is about 75% gone. But it runs great,
doesn't leak anything an offers as much fun you can have with your clothes on.

James

Quick Reply: Cold notchy G50, normal?