Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need An Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:34 PM
sstoots
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need An Opinion

I am looking at a 1991 911 Cab Tiptronic with 78K miles. New tires, top, and battery ( I am interested in the Tiptronic because of a dead left leg).
The seller is a major used Porsche dealer/service center in South Florida with a excellent reputation. I asked why he was selling the car so cheap and he said he had it listed at $22K and couldn't move it. There is a 'blemish' on the rear bumper and a stain/discoloration on the driver's seat back. Other than that, it looks perfect. No other issues. Everything , ever option is functioning. Has a complete service record. I will see it in person Tuesday. Is this too good to be true? TipTronic is suppose to be bullet proof if properly cared for (200K). True?
I've read the Zimmerman book particularly the section on 1990/1991 C2s.
I see similar cars going for $22-28K.

Tell me what you think please.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:58 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The best thing you can do is to take it to an independent Porsche garage and ask for a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI). Don't trust what the dealer is telling you, although it may indeed be in great shape. This will cost about $300-$500 but could save you thousands in the long run as well as any unforseen headaches.
Do this for any Porsche (or any older car really) you are considering.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:37 PM
mclmk8d
Instructor

Who's the dealer, Hans at Can-Am?
Take it for a PPI at Gulf Performance or KMW Motorsports
Old 05-27-2012, 05:38 PM
sstoots
Intermediate

It's a Winter Park (Orlando) exotic car/service dealer. Stellar rep.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,885 Likes on 2,889 Posts

whenever considering a 90-91 964 be very thorough investigating these basic flaws that model had:

1. rust forming on the body at the lower corner winshield seal on both front and rear windshields.
2. oil leaks from case - that model engine had no case seal which always leads to lots of leaking unless engine has been resealed.
3. "christmas tree" dash light sindrome - airbag/check engine lights or even more dash lights can remain on because of different electrical issues - airbag light issue is a seperate short problem
4. door light switches tend to short out and drain battery

my 1990 964 had a few of these issues corrected by the PO before my purchase.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:32 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,885 Likes on 2,889 Posts

i will also mention that some sellers remove certain dash lights to avoid detection - i strongy suggest having the car PPI's by a very real porsche shop. the airbag light is a bit-ch to remedy - it is the contact under the bag i believe.

also tap on the areas of the body of the car just near each lower corner of front/back windshields - use the tips of your fingernails first on the fender and listen/feel the metal sound and then try this on those mentioned areas - bondo will have a dead sound with no ring.

several 964's i looked at have this rust issue and have had poor bondo repairs - i think i posted a thread on RL when my car has its front windshield removed and repaired properly with metal repair.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

I didn't even know tiptronic existed back then
Checkout the 964 forum
Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by sstoots
I am looking at a 1991 911 Cab Tiptronic with 78K miles. New tires, top, and battery ( I am interested in the Tiptronic because of a dead left leg).
The seller is a major used Porsche dealer/service center in South Florida with a excellent reputation. I asked why he was selling the car so cheap and he said he had it listed at $22K and couldn't move it. There is a 'blemish' on the rear bumper and a stain/discoloration on the driver's seat back. Other than that, it looks perfect. No other issues. Everything , ever option is functioning. Has a complete service record. I will see it in person Tuesday. Is this too good to be true? TipTronic is suppose to be bullet proof if properly cared for (200K). True?
I've read the Zimmerman book particularly the section on 1990/1991 C2s.
I see similar cars going for $22-28K.

Tell me what you think please.
I have never seen 964 tip cars move fast, and I think 22k is a bit pricey for it, a PPI is a must, but I think you could find a good tip for 17-19K all day

Quick Reply: Need An Opinion