Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My 1st project hasn't gone well....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:22 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 1st project hasn't gone well....

so far, anyway. The transmission shifting on this car is awful, so that was the 1st thing I wanted to tackle. I ordered the set of bushings and the Seine Systems Gae Shift kit. All arived from Pelican, and last evening I began disassembly of the console to get to the shifter.

That took a while, even following the directions, especially fighting with the a/c controls. I almost had a heart attack when the console finally came loose and I saw a "broken" wire harness. Eventually, I deduced that the PO had cut the speaker fader wires when he installed the aftermarket Blauplunkt.

Then I discovered that the shifter is bolted down with metric allen head bolts. Yep, don't have the proper tools for that, so I will be making a stop after work to pick up a set.

Looking at the shifter, it appears that the reverse lockout mechanism is totally trashed, which would explain the reverse gear clipping I get on 5 to 4 downshifts.

Rather than fight with it, I think I will return the Seine kit and get a Wevo tall billet shifter instead. And, instead of messing about with trying to replace the bushings in the coupler, I will order the Wevo coupler as well. It's only money.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:14 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Good luck. Pictures?
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I can do pictures......if I can find the camera...........got to get organized........
Old 02-17-2012, 05:52 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The Seine lock-out is really only designed to prevent mis-shifts. People like the feel of it. But the Wevo shifter is a 'bigger' solution. The coupler will help a lot, too -- assuming your old one has gotten sloppy.

I've got the Wevo shifter, coupler and internal gateshift. My tranny shifts nicely and has held up now to a decade of very hard track use.

But be aware: it's entirely possible to fix everything in the shifter's neighborhood and still have problems -- transaxles wear out and need to be rebuilt periodically. If your syncros are shot, then the only way to fix them is by going into the tranny. It makes sense to do the easier stuff first. But if the tranny needs work, well, like you say: it's only money.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Wevo billet shifter's reverse lockout also needs to be "adjusted" at the shift coupler or it won't lock out reverse either. Even with the Wevo, a slight pause between shifting gears is mandatory.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

After a trip to Harbor Freight tools, I am now equipped with hex head sockets and a bunch of other stuff I probably don't need, but it was on sale.

Shifter came out easily, coupler on bottom was fine, spring on reverse lock-out is broken and looks like it has been for a long while. It is riveted in and I have no idea how to fix it, so I went ahead and ordered the Wevo tall in black.

Shaft bushing was fine, but I replaced it anyway.

Coupler: wow! One bushing was completely gone, just disintegrated into 1/4" chunks. Other one was intact, but very fragile, falling apart as I removed the coupler. Since I don't have a press yet, I went ahead and ordered the Wevo coupler.

And I found 3 pennies under the console, so I'm making a profit.

Last edited by SiberianDVM; 11-09-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

you dont neeed a press , just a couple of bushings and a concave ended bolt. But the wevo unit is nice if you have the money. looks like you needed a new top plate for the shifter is all.

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd toss those HF Allen bits, before I'd try to use them on anything serious. Not fun, if you have to deal with stripped Allen bolts 'cuz the crummy tools rounded them out. As you "discovered", the Porsche uses Metric fasteners, and you'll need to acquire a full set of proper tools. HF is good for misc stuff, but not sockets, wrenches or screwdrivers, IMO.

Quick Reply: My 1st project hasn't gone well....