Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Leaking chain tensioner oil line - what else should be updated?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 AM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Leaking chain tensioner oil line - what else should be updated?

Hi guys,

Looking for some feedback on what else to replace when having the passenger side chain tensioner oil line replaced? Car is an '87 911 which had a major service 1.5 yrs/10K miles ago. It developed a little drip the past week from the passenger side line that goes to the chain tensioner (attached is a pic of what it looked like before I made it worse ). I tightened the bolt a bit and thought I had solved the problem. I went to start it today and before leaving the driveway I took a look...leaking like crazy. I think when I tightened the bolt, the line may have torqued to the side and now the line is actually damaged. I'm going to have my local independent shop fix it, but I was wondering if I should have the lines to both sides replaced? What else should I do in terms of preventative maintenance?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,133 Likes on 810 Posts

thats a wide open question but i will only comment on your particular leak.

that bolt you tightened is hollow and goes through a hollow boss which has the line atached to it.
there is a copper or aluminum crush washer on the inside and outside of the boss. this is actually what stops the oil leak.
i would personally take the whole line off and inspect it and put 4 new crush washers on ( 2 on each end ) . If on inspection you find the line damaged simply order another.

That being said this is what your shop will do. if your not mechanically inclined to try it yourself then dont. Most non mechanically inclined type dont understand what little torque is required to seal the crush washers. Especially with the hollow bolt . Some think tighter is better and risk busting the bolt.

Last edited by theiceman; 02-18-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Ice,

I'm definitely on the less mechanically inclined side of things! Although, I have surprised myself with some of the projects I've taken on. In this case, I don't think it's the washers because when the car is running, I can see oil coming from the actual line.

I considered trying to change the line myself, but in the engine compartment, it seems like a pretty tight space. I don't want to screw something up and wind up damaging my engine. I'd be willing to give it a shot if you guys reassure me it's not that hard though! I can remove/replace the entire line without draining the oil, right?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,133 Likes on 810 Posts

its a piece of cake repair .... its pretty high on the case so i wouldnt think so but not sure. if you are buying the line locally that would be better . I have heard on line ones showing up the wrong length so maybe someone can confirm.

i would just leave it and do it during an oil change just in case but i really dont think it will be an issue.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:35 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where's the leak? lol
Old 02-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

You may have a crack in the hollow bolt too, depending on how hard you tightened it.

Quick Reply: Leaking chain tensioner oil line - what else should be updated?