Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Engine Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, time for a little update.
Things are really busy right now, so no time to do anything on the car.
We are heading for a trade show, so my weekends have been spent prepping for that.
I was able to get al my engine parts boxed up and take them to Brent @ Hunter Motorsports for evaluation.
The good news is that my pistons & cylinders are fine, as are my rockers, crank, oil pump & intermediate shaft. I'm now breathing easier :-)
I left my heads with him to get new guides installed, my crank to get polished, and my rods for new bushings and reconditioning.
After the trade show next week, I will be back at it with more cleaning and preparing to start putting it back together.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:41 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Time for another little update.
I have been working on cleaning engine parts some more, but time spent on the car has been sparse to say the least.
2 trade shows later, and sound for the OFSAA track & field event, and I'm now finally able to head off to Toronto tomorrow to take all my fasteners to be cleaned & plated. In preparation for heading to the plating shop, I laid them all out in logical groups on graph paper and took pics. Hopefully this will make it easier to sort out when I get the pile back.
I'm also picking up some of my engine parts while I'm there.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Default Making some progress :-)

Well, summer is over, I have made some headway.
I got the reconditioned rods and heads back last week, (pics to follow) and I also picked up my re-plated fasteners and bits yesterday. Plus, when I got home from Toronto, my powder coat guy called and said my covers were done too.
Here are some pics of the Cadmium plated parts and the covers.
I had the covers done black, then removed the coating on the lettering and ribs, and had a second coat of clear applied.
Attached Images      
Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look nice and shiny! time to button her up and get them dirty again!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irobertson
Ok, time for a little update.
Things are really busy right now, so no time to do anything on the car.
We are heading for a trade show, so my weekends have been spent prepping for that.
I was able to get al my engine parts boxed up and take them to Brent @ Hunter Motorsports for evaluation.
The good news is that my pistons & cylinders are fine, as are my rockers, crank, oil pump & intermediate shaft. I'm now breathing easier :-)
I left my heads with him to get new guides installed, my crank to get polished, and my rods for new bushings and reconditioning.
After the trade show next week, I will be back at it with more cleaning and preparing to start putting it back together.
Wow, I decided to come back to this thread and update it and realized that it was exactly a year ago when I first took my engine parts to Brent for evaluation. There have been a great many things in the way of getting this done, but I'm finally back on track.
I was able to mate the case halves together today.
I used Henry Schmidt's recommended sealing procedure, and (fingers crossed) I hope I got it right and will end up with a tight engine.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 PM
CaptainCalf
Instructor

You should take your time and not rush it...LOL!

Lookin good & good luck finishing it off.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's my kind of Pr0n.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:49 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

This evening I installed the inner springs on my heads so I could accurately measure the outer spring installed height. The measurements had a wider variance than I expected. Looks like I need to add 7 shims, so the heads won't be going together tomorrow after all. Off to the dealer to pick up some shims early next week.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Tango635
Racer

Hi, on cadmium plating, what spec did you go with? I notice on this website: http://swplating.com/platings_cadmium.html

there are several thickness and options you can choose from. I would be inclined to go, as you did, with yellow chromate and class 25 (.001) thickness.

Thanks

PS: really nice work by the way!
Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tango635
Hi, on cadmium plating, what spec did you go with? I notice on this website: http://swplating.com/platings_cadmium.html

there are several thickness and options you can choose from. I would be inclined to go, as you did, with yellow chromate and class 25 (.001) thickness.

Thanks

PS: really nice work by the way!
I wasn't aware there were different grades.
The guy at the plating shop gave me the choice between yellow zinc or cad, with cad being billed as 5 times more protection. I chose the cad based on that.
I did find that it roughed up the threads enough to be a bother on some fasteners, and that it flaked off if the nuts were a bit tight.
For example, my through bolts felt way to rough and tight to use, and I ended up cleaning the threads with a tap & die in order to get a smooth mating once again.
I'm not overly happy with the results, and I'm thinking I should have perhaps picked yellow zinc instead.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Tango635
Racer

From what i understand, cadmium is a better coating for this application. The cadmium is even supposed to help in threaded parts by reducing "stiction". Possibly your parts were not clean enough prior to the coating? Maybe that's why the threads looked rough?
Old 05-12-2013, 01:55 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Default More progress today

Today was cold so it was a good day to get some work done on the motor.
I cleaned and assembled the heads today, then installed my ARP head studs. I decided to Loctite them in with the recommended 271 red. Since I wanted them to set in place as they will be when torqued, I placed the jugs & heads on and torqued them to spec.
Some pics of the progress.
Attached Images        
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice clean work for inside the warm house!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
oil_chiller
Intermediate

it's a really fun read, thank you for photo essay on your progress!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

wow thats amazing ..

The Canadian boys are really setting the pace with the rebuilding threads

Quick Reply: 3.2 Engine Project