911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Engine Project

Old 04-21-2014, 11:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Wow Ian thats amazing ... I was honestly a bit concerned about you doing such a long haul litterally minutes ( engine time ) after such a major overhaul.

You are so lucky you didnt lose your whole car . Dont know if Omar has posted his vid yet on the Canadian site .. but he texted to me , and losing your car to a fire is a pretty scary thing.

I thik looking at this positiively in this case is the right thing to do ... you were very very lucky it didnt happen with a toasty hot engine running down the highway ..
Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Wow, that's pretty serious stuff. I wonder if that was NOS?

Good advertisement for Zim's, who many of us have used to remanufacture these lines over the years. Obviously, nothing to be gained by going to Porsche for new bits.
Thanks Ed. I just ordered new lines from Zim's.
They should be here by mid week, so I should be back on the road by the weekend in time for the UCR-PCA Shift into Spring event this coming Sunday. :-)
Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Congrats Ian ...

didnt this start out as an oil leak

Damn slippery slope gets another ...
Actually Clive, it was a clutch job, with a clean up and reseal while it was out.
I have to say it's a bit surreal to have a car that I can drive after looking at a pile of parts for almost 3 years.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:04 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Wow Ian thats amazing ... I was honestly a bit concerned about you doing such a long haul litterally minutes ( engine time ) after such a major overhaul.

You are so lucky you didnt lose your whole car . Dont know if Omar has posted his vid yet on the Canadian site .. but he texted to me , and losing your car to a fire is a pretty scary thing.

I thik looking at this positiively in this case is the right thing to do ... you were very very lucky it didnt happen with a toasty hot engine running down the highway ..
Yup, it can always be worse, and I am lucky it happened in the garage with a relatively cool engine.
I have about 3 hours on the engine at this point, and had just gotten back from a good one hour run.

BTW - I came back from Hershey with a Halotron extinguisher and a seat bracket for it.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yikes. Reason #4,391 to replace the fuel lines.

.....and ya, I get that it was a new one.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:01 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Default 1700 mile oil change

Once again, time for a little update on the motor project.
I have now put 1700 miles on the new motor and I just did the second oil change and a valve adjustment.
There was nothing on the drain plug magnet, and the cam lobes look to be all wearing in evenly.
I had gotten one of Steve Stomski's valve lash measuring widgets when I was down in Hershey, so I was able to check the lash before making any adjustments. Most of the valves came in at .15mm and a couple were closer to .2mm. I reset the lash with feeler gauge, verified with the dial indicator, and buttoned her back up with new silicone gaskets.

Plugs look good as well, and are consistent across all 6 cylinders.

I had a small oil leak around the breather cover that needed to be addressed. Turns out that this was the only gasket I didn't put sealant on during assembly. I installed a new gasket, this time with sealant. Fingers crossed.

Now that she is broken in and the valves are adjusted properly, I hope to get it on a dyno soon to get a baseline before I do anything else to the motor.

Thank to all who offered advice during the project. I could not have pulled this off without the sage wisdom from those who have gone before me and shared their experiences.

cheers
Old 08-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice to hear all is well!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:08 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Well, it's been a year since I first fired up the new motor, so I figured it was time to do a closing post on this project.
I just completed a run from Brockville, to Toronto, then to Hershey and back with a bunch of other Porsche guys & gals. A little over 1000 miles with no issues and no change in oil level on the dip stick.
I have finally gotten past the nagging little voice in my head that wonders if the motor is Ok and is 100% reliable.
I am planning on taking the car all the way to California this fall for Rennsport Reunion V. That will be around 90 hours of driving time there and back.
Today I had to take the baby in for the requisite tax grab, and I'm happy to say she passed the E test with flying colours.
Idle - HC (ppm) 81, CO (%) 0.15
2500 RPM - HC (ppm) 25, CO (%) 0.06
Old 04-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you manage to get it on a Dyno?
Old 04-28-2015, 12:52 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Did you manage to get it on a Dyno?
No, not as of yet.
I'm hoping to do runs with and without the cat for comparison.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ian that's really exciting that you are going to Rennsport Reunion! Take lots of pics and post as I'm sure you will!!!

JR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.2 Engine Project