Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1st Porsche owner and 1st cry for HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st Porsche owner and 1st cry for HELP!

Hi,

I feel like an idiot so feel free to tell me I'm one.

I bought a 1984 911 Targa from a guy in CA. Full payment is pending through escrow.com. Car was trucked in on tractor-trailer transporter and dropped off last night at the Acura dealership 2 miles from my house: I use this dealership for my Acura RSX so they said it was OK. I meet truck driver there this morning at 6am, give the car a quick check, pay him, he leaves, and I go to crank the car.

I can't get either one of the doors open. The keys turn the locks, I think, but the doors are jammed shut. I call the driver to make sure he gave me the right keys; yep. He says doors were hard to shut last night when he dropped off car.

It's 30*F with frost this morning. I'm thinking the Targa has flexed and the doors are jammed.

How do I get the doors open and what do I need to do to prevent this in the future?

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's possible that they froze shut, but you should be able to open the car. Try pulling on the handle. If that doesnt work, then maybe you can borrow a 911 spare jack to lift the car in the middle, flexing the frame enough to free the door? Accident damage does come to mind.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very strange because the 911 has doors that close and open like a bank vault.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Thanks.

I just got a call from the service manager at Acura where I left my RSX this morning. He said they got the 911's driver's side door open after it thawed out. Whew.

Unfortunately, I am now at work, so I won't be able to check on it until after 5pm today.

First of many problems. I'm sure.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
Very strange because the 911 has doors that close and open like a bank vault.
exactly, I love tho hear it every time I shut them!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Thanks.

I just got a call from the service manager at Acura where I left my RSX this morning. He said they got the 911's driver's side door open after it thawed out. Whew.

Unfortunately, I am now at work, so I won't be able to check on it until after 5pm today.

First of many problems. I'm sure.
Being a DMV you should appreciate my name and avatar! lol
Welcome to the community and great choice of vehicle, I am a little biased. lol
Your problem doesn't really sound right. Did you pull a carfax or know of any past accident history?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Love the Pug. Great dogs.

The CarFax was clean, but I bought a 2008 BMW 335xi with a clean CarFax, and I just spent a small fortune having the front suspension repaired, so I'm not sure how much that means anymore.

I'm sure I'm going to find some "stuff". The car was too cheap to be perfect.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:01 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

The CarFax was clean, but I bought a 2008 BMW 335xi with a clean CarFax, and I just spent a small fortune having the front suspension repaired, so I'm not sure how much that means anymore.
Did you have a PPI?

Welcome to the madness and post pics as soon as you can.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

at least the PO washed it for you

thats what usuallly causes this.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Just an update: after I got off work yesterday, I went my the DMV & got the car registered and ordered a tag. Clerk asked me if I wanted the "antique" tag. I declined, as I did not want to confuse people as to whether the tag referred to the car or the driver. Ordered the dog/cat sterilization tag instead, as usual.

Next stop was the Acura dealership, where my RSX Type S was getting new oil and some new shoes all around. I couldn't justify Bridgestones seeing as I just blew all my money on a Porsche, so it had to settle for Goodyear Eagles.

Apparently, the Porsche just had frozen door locks. After the temp went up, they both opened easily. It fired up on the first try, and to my uneducated ears, sounded fine. I drove it the 2 miles to my house, and it drove OK. Good power and sound, I thought, but the suspension feels a little rattly. Mechanic following me in the RSX said the 911 did not emit smoke.

Exterior looks very good for a 28 year old car. Surely it has been repainted at some point, I don't know. Top of engine is very clean, haven't looked underneath yet, as it was dark about this time. Interior smells a bit musty and needs some TLC.

I know I took a big chance buying this car without a PPI or even a test drive, and it may come back to haunt me. Time will tell. I'm looking forward to the weekend when I can give it a good look and test drive.

Next question: I checked the Haynes repair manual out of the library yesterday. A quick look, and I thought this manual was poor. Any better ones that won't cost too much?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:27 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Just an update: after I got off work yesterday, I went my the DMV & got the car registered and ordered a tag. Clerk asked me if I wanted the "antique" tag. I declined, as I did not want to confuse people as to whether the tag referred to the car or the driver. Ordered the dog/cat sterilization tag instead, as usual.

Next stop was the Acura dealership, where my RSX Type S was getting new oil and some new shoes all around. I couldn't justify Bridgestones seeing as I just blew all my money on a Porsche, so it had to settle for Goodyear Eagles.

Apparently, the Porsche just had frozen door locks. After the temp went up, they both opened easily. It fired up on the first try, and to my uneducated ears, sounded fine. I drove it the 2 miles to my house, and it drove OK. Good power and sound, I thought, but the suspension feels a little rattly. Mechanic following me in the RSX said the 911 did not emit smoke.

Exterior looks very good for a 28 year old car. Surely it has been repainted at some point, I don't know. Top of engine is very clean, haven't looked underneath yet, as it was dark about this time. Interior smells a bit musty and needs some TLC.

I know I took a big chance buying this car without a PPI or even a test drive, and it may come back to haunt me. Time will tell. I'm looking forward to the weekend when I can give it a good look and test drive.

Next question: I checked the Haynes repair manual out of the library yesterday. A quick look, and I thought this manual was poor. Any better ones that won't cost too much?
Is there no recourse to get a refund if the PPI failes? If you bought it from a shop, etc, somethimes you get x amount of days, etc.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

He's actually 14! All good, other than developing an Axtapia issue w/ his rear legs, but that's for another thread.
Good luck!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to Porsche ownership! Two very important books to get are: a Bentley 911 Carrera workshop manual, and 101 Projects for your Porsche by Wayne Dempsey (Pelican Parts CEO).

The mustiness is probably from a leak due to the targa top (they don't seal 100%). My 85 cab had that musty smell and I kept deodorizing it and threw dryer sheets under the seats to make it better.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I've heard the same comments regarding the Haynes. You can't go wrong with the Bentley and the 101 Projects for your 911.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the "911 Carrera Service Manual" by Bentley Publishers. Try Amazon or even Ebay.

Quick Reply: 1st Porsche owner and 1st cry for HELP!