Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa vs Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 01:54 AM
Lynx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Targa vs Coupe

What are the differences between the two (other than the obvious)?
How much wind buffeting is there in the targa at highway speeds?
Thanks.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:56 AM
Lynx
Intermediate

I'm referring to the 80's version.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:04 AM
Eddie Hotrod
Advanced

I don't even like sunroofs in coupes, I think it weakens the shell, so you can probably guess my attitude towards targas. I think targas can look nice (if they don't have the tail and the roof is off) but the ride will be noisier - a lot more wind noise, and the shells creak a lot due to their increased flexibility. Mechanically I don't think there's any difference, and they're no heavier.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:22 AM
carlitox
Intermediate

Cool

Lynx,

Search the archives on the subject, as not long ago, there was a pretty extensive discussion on the subject.

Carlos
Old 05-30-2003, 05:44 AM
LTan
Track Day

Lynx, I just drove home from work with the roof off the targa - winter in Melbourne, with the heater on, and it is bliss. It is about compromises, and a Targa is a good mix of the Cab and Coupe. I had a Alfa Spider so compared to that, wind noise and scuttle shake is non-existent - so it is what you expect. My 85 Targa has no creaks with the roof off, but I think the earlier ones may. The targa roof is also very easy to use, and feels safer than a full convertible. I don't race or run very hard, so I am not looking for the little extra 10% the Coupe may give, and I want an open top experience. When I go for weekend drives up the hills, being able to take the top off is great, and there is jusy enough wind in the hair without getting windburn! If you race, then a coupe may be essential. Decide what experience you want with the car, and don't worry too much about the looks - it will be fun! There is also an earlier thread debating this....50% pros, 50% cons...that's life!

Leong
85 Carrera Targa (with tail!)
Old 05-30-2003, 06:41 AM
Eddie Hotrod
Advanced

Sorry Leong, didn't mean to offend targa owners who have a tail. Just my opinion.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:51 AM
LTan
Track Day

Hi Eddie, no offense taken... life's too short! I drive with a bunch of classic car drivers who give me heap about the "BBQ" at the back of my car, but we all agree it makes a great picnic table during our rest stops....but, I always have to wait 5 minutes for them to catch up!

Cheers,
Old 05-30-2003, 09:48 AM
mark911sc
3rd Gear

Lynx,

I really think on this one your going to split the group. The best decision, really think about where you're driving. I agree with our friend from "down under". If your're going on the track a Coupe would be the way to go. If you live in Seattle where it rains 8 months out of the year, I'd go with a coupe. If it's for some summertime fun and autocrossing, then the Targa.

I went for the coupe. I think it has a nicer body style and follows the contour of the body. The targa is flatter on top, but that's just preference.

One other thought, If you want it just for top down driving and NOT for the track, hold out and try to find the best Cabrio you can find for what you want to spend.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:29 AM
SC-targa
Intermediate

I have an 82 SC targa and I really enjoy it. The targa is noisy on the highway, at least mine often is. The seals on mine don't like cross winds and they're extremely noisy in some conditions. I always keep ear plugs in my cars for highway trips anyway, even my coupes. I just like to have the windows down when I drive.

Wind buffeting is not a big problem, but wind noise is high at highway speeds with the windows up or down.

The targa is plenty rigid for normal street driving, it only weighs about 50 pounds more than an equivalent coupe, that rear glass is much heavier than steel and theres some additional gusseting in the scuttle. For me the targa has more headroom. I'm 6'2" and I was not comfortable in the sunroof coupes that I drove. My head hit the roof.

All 911's have a poor ventilation system, and I believe that the targas are even worse. Since I live in the Dallas area, my top is off almost all the time. I believe that targas also have slightly less foot room, because of additional gusseting in that area.

Important to many, the targa does not look as good as a coupe, especially with the top on. A targe does look pretty nice when the top is off anf the windows are down.

I can say that a days driving in the mountains with the top off a targa is a magical experience.

Regards,

Jerry
Old 05-30-2003, 10:30 AM
John Adams
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had both. Overall, I prefer the coupe over the targa. But on a nice sunny day, nothing beats a drive in a targa with the roof off. I currently drive a 1980 non-sunroof coupe.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:35 AM
Eddie Hotrod
Advanced

You said it, Leong. Roof or no roof, tail or no tail, there's still that big flat six behind. That's one of the biggest reasons were all here.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:57 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe an '80's targa will be heavier than a coupe due to the additional bracing that it shares with the cab and the large rear window.

A targa with a good top and decent seals will be almost as quiet as a coupe at highway speeds, but not quite. The wind buffetting at speed with the top off and the windows partly up (a little more on the pass side than the driver's side) is less than most 2 door cars with the windows down. With the top off and windows down it is less than a cab, but more than a coupe.

The chassis does flex some, but I don't get creaks at speed.

I drive mine 5 or 6 days a week approx 50 miles a day. It's a great compromise between cab and coupe. I think my favorite time is on a clear night when you can see the clouds, stars, and moon through the open top.

Quick Reply: Targa vs Coupe