Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Have to sell my baby, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:38 PM
AGW911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to sell my baby, need some advice

Circumstances have dictated that I should probably sell my project. It has sat for almost two years and I really don't see any time in the future that I am going to be able to work on it.

I would like to keep it, but I can't stand to see it sit around and I really would like the money to complete some other project.

So here is what it is.

1972 Porsche 911 Targa (I think it is a T)
- The engine is in pieces (taken apart by the previous owner) and is a 1971 E 2.2 engine.
- Rust issues (right pass side floor on forward right side needs replacing and I have the panel, both rockers will need attention, one headlight basket is rusty and I have a new one, suspension pan will need to be done for sure)
- The car appears to be all original inside, with the exception of some very poor condition sport type cloth seats that were added at one point. Will need new carpet and need the targa top recovered.

Those are the big things. A few minor issues aside from that. Basically it needs restoration. Not a complete restoration, but definitely needs attention.

Now. I paid $6500CDN for it and I would like to get that back out of it. Here is where I need the help. Honest opinions on whether or not you think it is worth that.

Results of a previous restoration where the front fender was welded to the rocker. Grrrrrrrrr! Note the excessive use of bondo - butchers!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

you payed 6500 for that ? that white 5G abortion isnt looking so bad
Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

It appears that you have not received many replies to your post. It may be that there are not many positive sides to your situation with this car in today’s economy, and you are not on a fight club site but on a gentleman’s site.

My opinion is based upon 55 years of buying and selling gas powered cars, bikes, planes and boats. I also attempt to follow the leading edge of the economy and several micro markets including the 911. I am an expert at nothing and quit any attempt at being a gentleman.

However, having been in your position more than once, I feel a kindred need to reply to your question.

IMO you can not restore the car without loosing money and time. You may not be able to recover your purchase price. IMO the 911 market could be soft for some time to come.

IF you can find a mate for the car with a good body/paint that has blown the transmission of badly scattered the engine then you may have an even money solution. Outside of that I would sell the car, take the hit ( cut the loss short ) and do something else with the money and time.

Being upside down today is fairly common. Just be glad it is not minus $300,000 in a house.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

An earler car with rust is no surprise, but what would make me nervous if I was buying this project is that the car has been "repaired" previously to a less-than-stellar level. I have seen too many restoration threads of cars that started out looking OK (but had been resprayed). However, once the outer layers were peeled back, myriad rust issues were found. That car actually looks rather nice in pics, but it is almost certainly riddled with structural/rust issues beyond what has been uncovered so far.

Trouble is, you have already started the "discovery" process and, being an honest chap, as is apparent from your post, you will disclose all to a potential buyer! $6500 is a little high for that car. It will probably trade more easily in the $3K to $4K range...
Old 12-15-2011, 11:48 PM
masterdave
Racer

Unfortunately what has been said above is true. The 911 market is down right now, to be honest that is the only reason I was able to afford the SC that I bought. The SC and Carrera markets are the only ones doing even remotely well because they are the galvanized and reliable cars. Many are trading there 993's and 996's for these older less problematic cars. There are a few issues with the car you have. The rust is obvious, and as stated before there is most likely more where that came from. Rust is a killer and can make a restoration price tag sky rocket as Im sure you know. This would also meen that the car will in the end have to be repainted which is always another cost. The dash looks to be in order which is a good thing at least.

The issue that has not been discussed and concerns me a bit more is the fact that the engine is in pieces. Since it was taken apart by the PO I will assume that you have never seen the engine actually run. This would give me reason to say there may be parts missing, nothing serious, but parts none the less. I would also say that the engine most likely needs a rebuild, hence the original disassemble, this is a natural part of owning these cars but is at least a 4K cost. Remember these engines have magnesium crank case heads which some people think are problematic.

That all being said a full work up on this car, body, paint, engine, interior, and a nice big fudge factor, you are looking at at least 20K to get this car up and running in good shape. I think that is a safe bet on cost although there are many here who could give you a better estimate on that. Unfortunately I do not think you can get the 6.5K back that you put in to the car. The fact of the matter is you can get working SC's for 7-10K these days.

For the right price I will take this car off your hands and give it a good home.

Regards
Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Dave beat me to it. And I aggree with the Jake and 500 too.

For me having the car have rust is not so unusual . Having the engine not running is ok. But when the car is apart and in pieces I would not buy it. The reason is that you dont know all the pieces are there and you can spend a lot of time, money, aggravation, and hold-ups while you try to source a part or many.
Even bolts and such get tough. If the originals are there and need rework or replacement you have a part as a guide.

You cant come out on this car in any way at this time in this condition in my opinion. So if you can get to the 3 or $4,000 it would be good.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Jake was quite eloquent in his summary. Good luck on however it turns out.

Dave-not many 993's are being turned in for 911's, but certainly there are a lot of 996ers, and some 997's. The 993's bring a lot of the joy of the 911, and add some modernization, while still being pretty much DIY friendly.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Ed on that note, it seems ALL of the ones, or Ok, most of the ones I can find are the Targas or the Cabs. I am actively looking for an SC, or a later 911 with the G-50, or a 993. Probably a 1995 or so in the 993. Finding the Carreras or the Coupes is harder than it looks.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM
AGW911
Instructor

I really appreciate all of the honest feedback. I can't say I'm surprised and realistically in the back of my mind figured all of the above to be true.

I don't think I am prepared at this point to take a loss. Things just aren't that bad right now. I will plug away at the car. My advantage is that I will do all work except paint myself, that should cut the cost down. I would much rather fix it and drive it than sell it, but I thought if I could cut my losses and move on I might be further ahead.

I couldn't sell this car with a clear concience without disclosing all problems, much less than I can say about the PO.

Thanks again for all of the honest opinions. I will hopefully get some time soon to work on it and will undoubtedly keep you all posted on the progress.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Ed on that note, it seems ALL of the ones, or Ok, most of the ones I can find are the Targas or the Cabs. I am actively looking for an SC, or a later 911 with the G-50, or a 993. Probably a 1995 or so in the 993. Finding the Carreras or the Coupes is harder than it looks.
I find that a strange mix: SC-G50 911-993. Seems like you leave out some good years....

Anyway, I found a superb '95 a year ago after a couple of months of searching-ended up being 18 miles from my house. A few others have purchased lately that have shown up on RL. They are out there.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

I restored an old 70's Jeep Wagoneer years ago that had similar issues. I did a ton of bodywork, paint, mechanicals almost everything. It took me years and a lot of money.

I only got about a third back of what I put into it however the experience I received which were both frustrating and rewarding were PRICELESS. I would not do it again though.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
AGW911
Instructor

That is how I feel about this one. It's going to be a lot of work, but I will learn a lot. By doing it, it will be easier to diagnose problem on future 911s. I probably won't be so quick to jump into a project next time though.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Not to pee on your cornflakes, but you mention cutting your losses. To me, that means selling this and losing a few $ now. In the mid-long term, you may be many dollars ahead if you start saving now for a car that has a better basis to start with. There is a lot to do to your car, and it will be costly, even shopping for deals. In the end, you may wrap $10k up in addition to what you have spent now and have 3 or 5 years of your life in this, and still not have a 911 to drive, being years and thousands of $ from completion still.

Restoring Porsches is expensive.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 PM
kyle242gt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in your shoes, I'd attempt to get the mechanicals sorted. Get yourself a complete running/driving beater.

You'll have a much easier time selling if you choose to do so. It's also more fun to do finish work on something you can enjoy in the process.

And then if you find a good tub you can swap everything over... or use as a parts car...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kyle242gt
If I were in your shoes, I'd attempt to get the mechanicals sorted. Get yourself a complete running/driving beater.

You'll have a much easier time selling if you choose to do so. It's also more fun to do finish work on something you can enjoy in the process.

And then if you find a good tub you can swap everything over... or use as a parts car...
No doubt on being able to sell easier, but that could be a several thousand dollar excursion with an unknown motor. He could easily double his investment in the car, and not gain much in value.

Quick Reply: Have to sell my baby, need some advice