Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Have to sell my baby, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Michael T
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a term bankers use on a loss making position, first loss is best loss. This would best describe this.

Rust of this nature can lead to more and more problems. Too bad the seller was not above board.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:03 AM
AGW911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a pretty good look at it today and stripped some paint around the two rear wheel wells. It appears that everything back there is solid and there are no signs of bondo or rust repair. The known issues to deal with will be the pass side floor, possibly rockers on both sides (may get away with patching them rather than replacing them) and the front suspension pan. So as far as metal goes, I'm not in too bad of a position at this point. Hopefully I will get time later next week to strip the interior and have a better look.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:48 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I like your attitude of accepting responsibility for choosing the car. It is always too easy to blame others, but I think you have it right.

I know I have not shown any sympathy, rather I have tried to be blunt and clear in my assessment. Having said that, I am a bit of poster child myself for rushing into a 911 and overpaying for something that is costing me more money in the long term! You are going into it eyes-open anyway. You will learn a lot, eventually have a car you are very proud of and (I predict) in the future be giving new project owners the exact same advice that we have been giving you!!!

Something tells me you are going to do a good job on this car and I look forward to seeing it progress.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 PM
AGW911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I will be using your suspension pan post and many other resources on here as I go along.

On a good note, I haven't found any rot on the seat pans or anywhere on the rear of the car.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I am an expert at nothing and quit any attempt at being a gentleman.
This is funny to me.

Looking at projects financially is a bit too secular for me. Is working on thing fun for you or a pain in the *** you're enduring to get into something driveable? It's very, very, very rare that a project will ever offer the financial rewards that, say, a weekend job would, but I have blood and sweat in vehicles that I wouldn't trade for the money burned in the process.

Lovely classic car seller to take a "buyer beware" stance on a deployed soldier. At least you don't have to pay insurance on the thing. If you're in the market for an E46 M3, lemme know. I'll give ya a discount.

Quick Reply: Have to sell my baby, need some advice