Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Restoration...which engine to get...why ('78 911SC)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Restoration...which engine to get...why ('78 911SC)?

So I'm restoring a '78 SC Targa and I'm thinking instead of trying to get the current engine running/sorted out (car has been sitting for 3 years and the engine looks beat up) that I'd consider purchasing a running engine. I'd like to hear your opinions on which engine to get and why (3.0, 3.2, etc).

I'd love to have a high performance engine but I don't think I want to spend that much (not unless it's really cheap), so as long as I can bolt it on and go the better. I'm also not looking to break the bank either so is up to $3000 a realistic price for a used running engine?

I'm not opposed to getting the same type of engine that's in there now but if I can get something better that's reasonably priced I may as well go that route.

Thanks for the help/advice
Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with the current one?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The later SC engines had higher compression and lambda feedback control. I would consider updating the hardware such as studs, rod bolts, etc, and bumping the compression and cams.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't expect to find a good running engine for $3000. Don't buy anything from Motormeister. Do you know your engine doesn't run with some fresh gas, fresh oil, new spark plugs, new distributor rotor and cap?

Brett
Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for not getting a new engine.
Post some pics of the current one, how beat up is it?
It may be cheaper/smarter to get the current engine rebuilt if it even needs that.
What problems does the current engine have, does it turn over, does it run at all, do you have spark, do you have gas getting to it. How is the compression. I would not jump straight in to getting a new engine until I knew what was wrong with the current one.

Regards
Dave
Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

3 liter is probably the best motor made, why not just make it a euro spec motor. 200HP easy!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

You'll pay 5-6k for a good used engine.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 PM
masterdave
Racer

@Jay
What makes a motor euro spec? I know they had more hp but how. I have a 78SC, what would i have to change to make it euro spec, that bump in power would be quite nice.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by masterdave
@Jay
What makes a motor euro spec? I know they had more hp but how. I have a 78SC, what would i have to change to make it euro spec, that bump in power would be quite nice.
The main difference is compression.

PS-what is up with all of the @'s these days? It would suffice to address: Jay. This isn't twitter. Sorry, but this new era doesn't make sense in many ways, especially when ADDING a keystoke. I'm used to the shortcuts; u, ur, OMG, etc, but the @ is plain silly.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:56 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll snap a video in a couple of days as the car is at another house. I'm not sure what is wrong with it to tell you the truth. I can see it wet from underneath, so I can assume there's a leak of some sort. I haven't tried to start it as I'm not sure if everything is connected or there (the prior owner was working on it and never finished). I need to check the gas tank as something is leaking in that area (suspecting it's old gas as it has the smell of old gas).

I read a little on Motormeister so yes I'm staying away from them. I saw a motor on ebay from a Porsche shop/dismantler in CA a couple of weeks ago and it was around $3k so I was going on that for pricing.

Without having a lift, is there a way to drop the motor safely?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

ok I took the video, let me know what you guys think. It looks like there's a bunch of corrosion so I'll pressure wash it this weekend.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like you have a euro fuel head and Carrera tensioners on the motor. What kind of miles on the motor? Any records?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I wouldn't just start it without going through the basics. I would check plugs, change oil, fresh gas and clean up everything before I even dreamed of starting it.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM
masterdave
Racer

That engine defiantly needs some work. Price wise that more depends on if it starts or not.
+1 on doing every thing before starting it. Just based on exterior rust that oil filter and fuel filter have to go. I would get a new distributor cap and rotor as well. As for getting a new engine that comes down to a few things.
-How much work do you want to do
-How much work do you want to pay to have done
-Do you just want to drive the car or do you want a project.

If you want a project and want to do a good deal of work, I say keep the engine. Drop it out, break it down and clean it up. Personally I love doing my own work I find it very rewarding and I come to be far more attached to the cars. You will learn a great deal along the way as well. Some of the work you will find you simply cant do, like say powder coating the fan. You will need quite a few parts if you want the engine looking like new. The price may in the end be about the same, I say fix the current engine, if that is the original engine for the car all the more reason to.

As for dropping the engine, yes it can be done with out a lift. I have never done it but i know many who have. you will need at least a jack and some jack stands.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by veleno
Without having a lift, is there a way to drop the motor safely?
Yes, you can. You'll need a floorjack, and preferably an ATV jack. Some jackstands capable of about 26" of lift, and a couple of smaller jackstands. It's pretty well documented-look at Wayne Dempsey's 101 projects book.

Just work safely and go slow.

Quick Reply: Restoration...which engine to get...why ('78 911SC)?