Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Restoration...which engine to get...why ('78 911SC)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would stay away form the 2.7L engine, they have magnesium heads which can lead to huge issues and very expensive repairs down the line. Most people mod there 2.7 cars to have a 3.0 or 3.2, I dont think any one has gone the other way. I would try to get a hold of another 3.0 or 3.2
Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

I am amazed at that level of corrosion just from moisture in the air, it is remarkable. Good luck with your investigations of how it looks inside.

At this point, you have nothing really to lose taking it apart and getting a proper idea of what you are up against. Before you start pouring money in though, take the time for a critical evaluation. Even though the car was free, getting it to the state that you want can easily cost much more than just buying one in that desired condition.

Lot's of help is always available here.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car sat on grass for all that time I wouldn't be surprised. Also, I would stay away (also) from the 2.7. There is not cheap/quick fixes with these cars really. 2.7's really aren't that much cheaper then a 3.0, so I would just stick with what you have.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

If you're going to tear this engine down, you might start bookmarking threads like this...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...usty-case.html

Brett
Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by masterdave
I would stay away form the 2.7L engine, they have magnesium heads which can lead to huge issues and very expensive repairs down the line. Most people mod there 2.7 cars to have a 3.0 or 3.2, I dont think any one has gone the other way. I would try to get a hold of another 3.0 or 3.2
Got it. I'll stick with the 3.0 or 3.2

Originally Posted by 500_19B
I am amazed at that level of corrosion just from moisture in the air, it is remarkable. Good luck with your investigations of how it looks inside.

At this point, you have nothing really to lose taking it apart and getting a proper idea of what you are up against. Before you start pouring money in though, take the time for a critical evaluation. Even though the car was free, getting it to the state that you want can easily cost much more than just buying one in that desired condition.

Lot's of help is always available here.
This forum is great! There really is a wealth of knowledge here and members are very helpful. So kudos to everyone for that

I'm pretty sure the final cost once everything is completed would either be the same as buying a running car if not more. However, I'm optimistic I can find good used parts at decent to cheap prices to help bring the total cost down. I did consider purchasing a good running SC or Carrera right now but I've decided to keep this a project and get a 964 for daily use

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
If the car sat on grass for all that time I wouldn't be surprised. Also, I would stay away (also) from the 2.7. There is not cheap/quick fixes with these cars really. 2.7's really aren't that much cheaper then a 3.0, so I would just stick with what you have.
Yes, pretty much on grass and dirt. I'll stick with the 3.0 or 3.2, thanks.

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
If you're going to tear this engine down, you might start bookmarking threads like this...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...usty-case.html

Brett
Thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll be needed some help/guidance once I go down that path.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Euro951
Racer

A good 3.0 motor will cost you at least 5-7k. All others will need top end reseal or rebuild..... which will cost you $$$
Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

wo that is pretty amazing .. where are you located ? my first thoughts were flood damaged car immediately. Either that or this htinkg sat in a field with no engine cover. pics of the resst of the car woulf prove usefull too. how is the interior.
if you are in a rush to drive this car ASAP this is gonna be a disaster. If it is gonna be a long term project it could be fun.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

FWIW, here's an ad for an '81 Targa that is said to have sat in a field for 5-8 years. Very similar looking engine compartment.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=295528460

Brett

Quick Reply: Restoration...which engine to get...why ('78 911SC)?