Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Best/gentlest cleaner for degreasing engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 01:24 PM
Lush Daddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best/gentlest cleaner for degreasing engine

What is the gentlest degreaser to user for periodic engine compartment cleaning? I've used some of the stronger ones out there on a previous car...and over time, they've taken the shine off of the plastic parts...and destroyed the paint in the engine compartment.

Any ideas/suggestions?

David
Old 09-06-2001, 02:09 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have had good results from Wurth Citrus Degreaser. Smells good too.

Bruce
Old 09-06-2001, 02:54 PM
Lush Daddy
Advanced

Thanks Bruce...I'll buy some this afternoon!

David
Old 09-06-2001, 05:05 PM
Buffalo
Advanced

I'll put in my two cents worth for Simple Green full strength.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:42 PM
Howard
Racer

Simple Green gets my vote, any degreaser that contains citric acid could discolor aluminum and/ or magnesium.
Old 09-06-2001, 06:25 PM
Paul H
Advanced

Somebody posted an answer to a similar question several months ago. He included a picture of his engine (spotless). I can't find it in the archive. Anybody remember who it was. His cleaner/degreaser gets my vote.
Old 09-06-2001, 07:16 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LD,

BTW, some experts recommend applying a coat of WD-40 after degreasing, rinsing & drying.

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 09-06-2001, 07:34 PM
George 86T
Advanced

Here's another vote for Simple Green--full strength--preferably on a WARM (Not Hot) engine--let sit for 15 mins.--rinse off with the garden hose--wipe it down--then mist spray with 2001 or Armor All. Then another wipe down and it'll look (and STAY) like new.
The ONLY proviso I'd mention is that the paper decals on the engine will start to disintegrate after about ten years!
Old 09-07-2001, 01:07 AM
Mike F
Advanced

Here is the link to the post Paul H was talking about. It was listed under wheel weight adhesive removal. That engine really does shine! It was Xenit, and I found it on properautocare.comengine cleaner
Old 09-07-2001, 11:39 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by George 86T:
<STRONG>Here's another vote for Simple Green--full strength--preferably on a WARM (Not Hot) engine--let sit for 15 mins.--rinse off with the garden hose--wipe it down--then mist spray with 2001 or Armor All. Then another wipe down and it'll look (and STAY) like new.
The ONLY proviso I'd mention is that the paper decals on the engine will start to disintegrate after about ten years! </STRONG>
Armor All is full of silicone which has a couple of side effects: 1) It destroys oxygen sensors 2) Is evil if you ever want to paint
Old 09-09-2001, 04:06 AM
George 86T
Advanced

Chris--am aware of both problems with silicone that you mentioned but did NOT know that Armor All contained any! No mention of silicone on the bottle. Are you sure?

Is that true of most of the rubber/plastic protectants? Are you aware of any you're sure do NOT contain silicone?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:51 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use Lexol Vinylex, Mequires #40 Rubber Treatment and Black Again for any rubber, plastic or vinyl on my cars. The over the counter "protectants" like Armor All actually break down your rubber hoses, plastics, tires, dash, etc. Plus, they leave such a greasy residue that attracts more dust and dirt (that you just spent all that time cleaning off).

Check out the articles on Car Care Online (www.carcaronline.com) for some great information on what to use and why those over the counter products are not good for your car. Also, if you watch the pro concours guys, there isn't anything resembling Armor All anywhere close to their cars. That stuff is just made to give a quick shine to tires for the general consumer or to be used on tires that you wear out in two seasons anyway.

Once you start using some of these products, you'll never go back to using Armor All type stuff on your car. It costs more initially, but you use less of it over time. I've got a $10 spray bottle of Vinylex that has lasted me over two years now and I have half the bottle left.

I'm off my soapbox now... Sorry...

Hope this helps,
Jay
90 964
Old 09-09-2001, 07:04 PM
George 86T
Advanced

Jay--thanx for the reference address. Will check it out.

Quick Reply: Best/gentlest cleaner for degreasing engine