Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1989 motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

It might not be the motor mount...... But a bent engine support. I've seen a bent up engine carrier mount that will not let the mounts lign up properly. Just another thing to look at while in there.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:38 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to update this thread,..no progress just yet, but the work session draws near....STILL waiting for the fresh PORSCHE mounts to arrive (next week). She'll be going in to my P-Wrench (Serge) soon.

Firstly, thanks for all the input(s) on this. This issue is part of other (related) threads regarding left sway bar mount fracture (insofar as questions).

On Redridges' point, I've only conducted a "visual" and would look for other ways to check this. YES: I've seen some other threads that speak to problematic (frozen) bolts that will BEND that support bracket a lot easier than one would think,..it sure "looks" fine to me,....doesn't make it so. Inanaycase,....good point.

A quick background,..this engine was dropped to address a #1 plug, timesert need,..and subsequently rx'd much attention to all fuel lines, clutch/all related parts,...bunch of O-rings/seals.....etc., etc,...THE remounted BACK INTO THE CAR...fresh motor mounts were part of this reinstall process...down the road,..I notice, first, my tailpipe scraping where it shouldn't,..later notice vibration (especially with AC on),..and some "knocking down below, in the rear......later, I find a broken left sway bar mount (fractured),......a bit later, I then then notice the motor mount issue.....NOW, this:

Out of complete curiosity, is this sequence, in any way, related to engine/tranny reinstall? In other words,..there's no way to "****" things to one side while putting the engine back in, right? Layman's question,....

Had personal conversation with my wrench on the WEVO install (fresh L/Forder drop links and rear shocks, while in there),..feel good about that repair...he'll be adjusting the valves, as well (he has that feel).....and they'll take a look at the Motor Mount issue.....

Just wanted to ask if anything to do with engine reinstall could remotely be related to the "issues" on my left rear side.....?

Thanks!

Doyle
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I hope to be getting to this issue today,..as I've decided to engage this myself,..with fresh PORSCHE MMs in hand. Will get some more pics and report my findings.....

Thanks to all.

Doyle
Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

well,..well,...interesting findings....

Firstly, I can't find my camera cable so that I can download some pics of the removed mounts but will soon,..and post the pics....

My son-in-law (T-Wrench that does P-wrench work for/with me) was a big help this morning in changing out the motor mounts...kudos to him (always good to have a REAL mechanic nearby)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The removal was uneventful. To repeat the bit of history, my car was in the shop about 2 years ago, having had the engine dropped to address a few things....I provided my P-wrench several parts from my stock to use (he's ok with that as long as they're Porsche parts)...part of that provided inventory was 2 engine mounts ($51.50), 2 new long bolts ($8.50), 4 new curved washers ($5.50) and new top (small) washers ($5.50).

As the pics demonstrated, the hardware didn't appear to be new (and several readers commented on this). The point of the post was to show the differences between one side and the other, post work,..asking for input. There obviously was a problem and today we (Kyle and I) found it.

The removed MMs look to be original and extremely worn, one with a crazy-looking failure. I'll drop the autopsy pics soon. We installed PORSCHE MMs, using the existing hardware (all of it looked fine). Kinda' testy procedure, getting things lined up..noticed that kneeling on the bumper lined sheeit up neatly! Now the proper amount of rubber is showing up top and things are much better,..noticed a bit of improved tightness.......MM crossbrace looked to be in great shape and was inspected VERY closely for any dreaded fractures,...none found.....but here's the icing:

When I first got this car (winter),..I later (summer) noticed a bit of drivetrain vibration ONLY when the AC was on, occuring when I topped 4800 RPMs. I checked belt tensions, etc.....never could figure out what it was, although, at one point, I DID notice a stripped insert for one of the compressor mounting bolts. I thought this to be the culprit and had this fixed by my P-Wrench (helicoiled) , but made no difference in this vibration phenomena....

After today's work,....this vibration is gone! Amazing.......I guess I need to look at getting fresh rubber on the tranny mounts (now) to put this ALL to bed......understanding the G50 mounts are pressed (fitted?) into the crossmember, I'll look to some threads where some have changed this without having to buy the entire crossmember brace.

Glad to have resolved this,..but not too happy as to surrounding (historical) circumstances that surround the findings......In anycase:

Thanks to all who commented on this thread. I'll get the pics up ASAP so that everyone can SEE some really worn MMs....

Best to all!

Doyle
Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I would also note that today's Factory motor mounts were $88.00 each!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm guessing: money well spent.

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-21-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, the factory motor mounts are worth it. I purchased some 'stock' motor mounts (not Genuine Porsche) a while back for my 84. In well under a year they were sagging like in your photos. Pay a little more for the real thing, you'll be glad you did.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Agreed. Sad part is that I provided the OEM parts for the changeout 2 years ago to my wrench. I'm convinced that the removed mounts were, in fact, original mounts....where's my OEM stuff? MMMM.....I remember the bolts looking brand new, as did the cupped washers......the removed items were far from new looking......inanycase,....she's loaded with the real deal now (i.e., DONE!)..still looking for that damned cable to post my cell phone pics.......

Thanks for the reply Kurt.

BEST!

Doyle
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Talking

Finally!! Those damned Basenjis!!!!!!! Found the cord,..luckily, undamaged.

Inanycase,...here's some of the crap that we extracted from my 89..

Some of these look bent but in the pic(s) but were not, at all. The metal on the mounts were identical...just that one BLOATED side.....(the left side noted/pic'd in previous posts...)

The crossmember brace was good to go.....no signs of stressing......I'll get some shots of the installed Porsche mounts.....

Anitseized, 4-sure.

Best,

Doyle
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 1989 motor mounts