Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1989 motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they are,...and always have been, in my cases.

Gonna' order the Porsche mounts and have some time with her this weekend to investigate this "condition" a bit further....

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Well,...I had my son-in-law Mr. Master Totota Tech drop by and have a look (always GOOD to have a REAL MECHANIC at bay!). One can feel underneath the left side and discover a noted rubber "shoulder" that should be upward,..visual,...like the other side). He's convinced it's an install issue....no signs of wear or something that would cause the mount to fail...rubber looks QUITE fresh 1 1/2 years later!!!!!!!!!! So,..should that MM bolt have been torqued to spec.....it wouldn't have guaranteed that the Mount rubber would have pulled upward to it's proper position,....that is to say, the rubber could have "bound" and someone simply locked it down, as is.....does this make sense? Or,..is there something I'm missing?

I LOVE to "play" mechanic,..learn as much as I can and apply.........however, I'm a big fan of knowing the difference between "playing" and "being"...2 different things, in my book,..and the guys who do it for a living have all of my respect (that is, if they're truly pro)..

I guess the task at hand is to have a look at reseating this left side MM. I can detect no damage and would think I should try a reposition of this mount...on the other hand, I'm thinking (actually: KNOWING) I've got "cocked rubber" at torque and the damned thing should be changed out based on the chance of it being deformed (now). Maybe I should press on with fresh Porsche mounts.

Nothing looks "bent" anywhere, BTW.

To add,..I just recently had a left rear sway bar mount fracture,..interesting, no (looking at that left M/Mount? Or, is it not? I'm probably over-reacting.

Thanks guys, for all the observations. I do appreciate it!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be two concave washers (P/N 901-305-311-00 - they are called Seats in the Parts Catalog). One goes on top & one goes on bottom. They cradle the rubber Motor Mount and are mounted between the motor Mount and the cross bar where the long bolt goes through. If it's missing, that may be why it sags.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Question

Will be checking this this weekend,...

Guys, no relation here to experiencing a recent left sway bar mount fracture, right?

Thanks!

Doyle
Old 08-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I wouldn't see any correlation unless the car had an impact on the bottom.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Me, neither,.........my understanding is that the sway bar/mounts carry VERY little weight.......

We'll be looking at the "underneaths" of the mounts this W/E......I've been told this car has never had any accidents/body work,..but would welcome any suggestions as to what to look for....

I'm tuned in on what to look for on the MM's bottoms.......other "related" items would be?

Thanks, Ed.

Doyle
Old 08-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm sure you'd see some big damage if something happened bad enough to break stuff. Personally, I'd get a floor jack under the engine, loosen the motor mount bolts (the main one in the center) and drop the engine an inch or two to see what is going on underneath with a mirror or a scope ($79 at HF!)

As I pointed out early on, and Ron also pointed out, there are two cup washers (top and bottom) on either side of the mount. By doing a slight lowering of the engine, you can see if the lower washer was omitted or what is causing the deformation. If you had a new mount in your posession, you could install that for piece of mind.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:09 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I've ordered fresh (Porsche) mounts...don't want to mess with this without having fresh parts in hand....as I have already commented on my concern for the existing mount (rubber deformation).

As I have pointed out, I understand completely what should be in place as to the motor mount assembly.

I have plenty of mirrors to use.

We'll see shortly.........thanks.

Doyle
Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hold the train! HF has a boroscope for $7freakin9 bucks!?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Hold the train! HF has a boroscope for $7freakin9 bucks!?
Yes, it was in all of the recent coupons I've gotten. Color screen and two variable intensity LED's at the tip. It is amazing. May be tight getting into a sparkplug hole, but it'll come in plenty handy. The wand is a flexible 3' part- kind of stiff, but it isnt flimsy. Ive used it to show my wife where she isn't cleaning well.

One of those gotta haves, IMO.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I saw that on line,...nice!

While furthering my installation of a fresh FPR, I did check the bottom hardware on that left side,..the seat IS there, for sure (nothing missing). It's just all of the rubber seems to be resting below (WTF?).......am considering giving the Left mounting bolt a turn to see how it "feels".........assuming there's some further turns to be had, would one expect that rubber to "pop" upwards into place?

Something's telling me no. I probably should relieve the pressure (engine jacking),..disassemble and attempt remount (when the time comes). I'm telling ya',...that left side rubber feels brand new (as it lays beneath the desired position...

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That something is me, as I suggested in my earlier post.

There's nothing you're going to do to "pop" anything into place,if the rubber is goofed up. IMO, You need to support the engine, remove the large bolts, lower the engine down enough, again 1 or 2" to get to that mount- remove and inspect. Replace if necessary, which I'd do.

Originally Posted by dshepp806
I saw that on line,...nice!

While furthering my installation of a fresh FPR, I did check the bottom hardware on that left side,..the seat IS there, for sure (nothing missing). It's just all of the rubber seems to be resting below (WTF?).......am considering giving the Left mounting bolt a turn to see how it "feels".........assuming there's some further turns to be had, would one expect that rubber to "pop" upwards into place?

Something's telling me no. I probably should relieve the pressure (engine jacking),..disassemble and attempt remount (when the time comes). I'm telling ya',...that left side rubber feels brand new (as it lays beneath the desired position...

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-14-2011, 02:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Nice heads up on the boroscope.....must have! I just bought a 9 function metal detector to,find left over nails in our property, and it's amazing.

I agree, try to feel around and if possible get an inspection mirror on the bottom of the mount. If you do drop the engine, might wait for an oil change so you can remove the "s" hose.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm looking at mine right now, it sure seems like just a minimal lowering of the engine would work. As long as you were careful on lowering the jack ever so little, should be OK.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Hmm, yes. Maybe use a stop block for safety. Were talkin fraction of an inch.

Quick Reply: 1989 motor mounts