Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1989 motor mounts

A cross post from another NG:

Greetings,

During today's (unsucessful) attempt at replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator (noted in the BG44K thread). I happened to notice something unusual when viewing the motor mounts on my 89.

Although I don't have pics at the moment (but will tomorrow), my left side MM doesn't appear to be showing any degree of "rubber" as shown on the left side. I could run my fingers into the opening on the cross-member and easily detect a different spacing on one side vs. the other. The right side shows a healthy "rim" of rubber underneath it's bevelled washer....clearly the two side are not in symmetry. All parts look to be in place ......I'll look closer at the underside tomorrow....Here's what weird:

I've a slight incline to my driveway, as I back out each and every morning.....I learned real quick that the skid "hooks" can/would scrape if the exit angle from the driveway wasn't correct...nothing new there......I would always accomodate this need.

About 1 1/2 years ago, my wrench dropped the engine to take care of several things.....it was a few months later that I noticed that I could sometimes SCRAPE the exhaust tail pipe when exiting the inclined driveway (ODD)...only happened occasionally but certainly more frequent than BEFORE. Eventually, I noticed ACTUAL wear on the tailpipe (from it's scraping when exiting the driveway)....I never really gave it any further thought , other than to have the Wrench check things out, to make sure all was tight. One of the many parts handed to him on this engine drop was fresh motor mounts, MM bolts, curved and flat washers to reinstall.

It now looks asymetrical at the mounts, based on the amount of rubber showing, as well as finger clearances, side-to-side. The left side seems to be "lower" than the right...I've not yet measured anything but the exhaust "looks" a bit lower on the left side than the right. Not to mention that I just recently experienced a LEFT REAR BROKEN SWAYBAR MOUNT......what gives here? (broken sway bar thread exists, already)

Any suggested specifics to check? Should that rear cross-member be level (on level ground)? It almost looks like the curved washer on one side (has less pronounced "curvature" to it than the other.......I hope proper torque settings were applied......I provided all of the parts from Pelican.

Any observations on this. Something's amiss.....

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Both sides should be the same. This is where a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using the engine to lift the car eventually tears the motor mounts out by pushing the top part up, away from the bottom. When the car is stationary on level ground, the motor is pushing down on the mount, so it's not a problem. I admit to JB Welding my friends motor mounts back together. It was late, and he had to get on the road so we glued them and put the motor back in. Seems ok for now.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

These are brand new,..and this car has never been lifted by it's engine (I'm NOT a fan of that at all). I hope to get the pics snapped once I get home today..

Doyle
Old 08-08-2011, 09:11 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Some random pics......

The rest
need rescaling,..but not tonight.

I think there's enough to see no frikin rubber on the L/side.....WTF?

Nite.

Doyle
Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

the top washer (that covers the rubber) looks different, is that the case?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Tis' my suspicion....WTF?

Doyle
Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

did you mix the old vs new?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

All work was completed by the mechanic, not me...

Doyle
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doyle, is there a weld under the right hand side one?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by salukijac
Doyle, is there a weld under the right hand side one?
That's what I thought too. That LH one looks pretty rough for a new mount.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:42 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it me, or my phone, that makes the bolt look slightly angled toward the front on the RH side?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:21 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies.

Salukijak: I would have to check this for you. What would be the basis for this question? (I ask earnestly).....

RUSNAK: I've some more pics that need some resizing in order to post,..hopefully this will help with the call on any bolts.

Again,...1 1/2 years ago, the engine had to go down for a TimeSert repair of #1 plug...it was one those "while you're in there" moments.....new clutch, PP TO bearing,..FW check,...any/all seals and O-rings that could be reached..fresh return tubes, RSR orings, V/Adjust/retime, new fuel hoses EVERYWHERE in the back (found the original 89 rubber), fresh motor mounts, and a host of other things I have now forgotten about (and would have to reference on the service ticket) I provided the motor mounts, concaves and washers for BOTH sides, brand new, from PP.

I'll get these pics resized so they we all may "look" at this further this evening.....no time this evening to spend with the car,..I'm still recovering from my Fuel Pressure Reg changeout attempt (FAIL)...a couple days ago.

No frikin' doubt the engine seems slightly down on the left side, as I now bare the markings on the bottom of my exhaust tip, from exiting the driveway (with scrapes)......I'll get some measurements to confirm my suspicions...

Thanks to all....standby!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like the mount sits higher on the right hand. I'm thinking if there is a weld, that would prevent the mount frorm sitting flush...maybe?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Ok ,..let's see if we can add a few more "visuals" (pics)..

Thanks!

Doyle
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: 1989 motor mounts