Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa project.... WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lastly this weekend I finished the roll cage. I decided to have a weld in cage that connected to the rear shock mounts. I felt it would help with the coil over suspension from Rebel Racing that's going in back there.

I initially bought a Harbor Freight pipe bender but it wasn't up to par. I effed up a pipe which was about $20-$30.... So then I found an off road shop here in town called "Steel Nutz" that bends pipe and other metal work. I gave them a drawing of what I wanted and they produced the main hoop exactly as I asked so I guess it was $80 well spent. I do have to say they had some SWEET vehicles in their shop...

Here's the main hoop:

The cross brace measurements:

Halfway in:

It's not completely welded in since I need to recover the targa bar and I'm afraid to weld in the cage and not be able to get the targa bar liner in afterwards. so the bars going to the shock mounts are just "there"

Old 12-08-2014, 06:01 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That looks fantastic, Ed. Someday I am going to do the same.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Looking great!

With your cage, you will have a very rigid structure aft of the door jamb.

I think most of the Targa flex comes from the floor pan between the door jambs. For a stock Targa, this is probably not really an issue, but just more a characteristic of the car (i.e. more flexible than a coupe). However, If I were making the rear end so rigid, I would strongly consider increasing the torsional rigidity of the centre of the car, particularly bridging across the rear of the sill to door jamb junction. I have seen photos of people welding in an additional sheet metal layer over top the inner sill faces, extending past the door jamb area. That seems to be a logical option to investigate, as it would be close to invisible afterwards.

This is just some ad-hoc commentary, certainly you would want to do more investigation to validate it.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are doing R or "RS" door cards you will have room for side bars too. I'd wait until you have your doors and seats fitted. In a Targa it will be worth it.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Looking great!

With your cage, you will have a very rigid structure aft of the door jamb.

I think most of the Targa flex comes from the floor pan between the door jambs. For a stock Targa, this is probably not really an issue, but just more a characteristic of the car (i.e. more flexible than a coupe). However, If I were making the rear end so rigid, I would strongly consider increasing the torsional rigidity of the centre of the car, particularly bridging across the rear of the sill to door jamb junction. I have seen photos of people welding in an additional sheet metal layer over top the inner sill faces, extending past the door jamb area. That seems to be a logical option to investigate, as it would be close to invisible afterwards.

This is just some ad-hoc commentary, certainly you would want to do more investigation to validate it.
I was thinking the same so I've planned for side bars to connect to the front of the door sills (like Doug is talking about). But since I don't want the bars always there if I'm only tooling around the neighborhood, they'll be detachable with rod end bolts similar to a strut brace.

More than likely I'll just get used to hopping into the car with them on and never take them out. But I like OPTIONS.....
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Partial progress today... Coil over supports.
Attached Images  
Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

New update (as well as future) located here:
Pelican forums

Quick Reply: Targa project.... WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.