Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I really screwed up my transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool story on the acquiring of the car and it's history. Glad to see the diligence and passion going into it that it deserves. You seem very hands on, I love seeing people not afraid to work on their own cars. I do the same on my cars, I hate bringing them into shops, I prefer to DIY on cars and motorcycles.

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
If all the parts are there, no reason why the car can't be made to run.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone nearby can go take a look?
I certainly never meant to state otherwise. I can only go on my initial observation that he's had it for a long time and it sounds like not much has been done to it. I tied this to the observation that there are bound to be many more issues that need to be addressed, once the trans is fixed. An old 911 is a commitment, with both time and money needed, and if not much time-then more money to pay others.

Only my opinions, but valid concerns given the little attention this car has had for a long period of time.

Heck, I drove Ruby today for the first time in a month, and I felt so disconnected to her for the first five minutes as I'd not laid a hand or wrench to her for months, and she sat for a few weeks. I only drove her to the store and back for 30 minutes, but she felt like herself when we got home.

Again, that is just me-I could not drive a car like these that has sat for years without starting at one end or the other, and working thru it all.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely, Ed. I know what you mean. I didn't mean to imply cheap or easy. I have my own minefield waiting for me when I finally get the 914-6 back on the road. And I only recently pressed the SC back into service. These cars are reliable, but they don't like to sit.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 PM
redbug2
Intermediate

Agreed, many more issues to be addressed, but I need to start somewhere. Glad I took the engine out, I saw a bunch of issues that I've already addressed this weekend. Many more to fix before the engine goes back in. But first things first, transmission must be fixed. When I was driving it I was more motivated to fix it....
Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

The fact that by hand 4th and 5th take a fair bit of force to engage doesn't really concern me. There should be some effort there to get the synchro to compress a little bit as it slips into the slider.

How does the little 2 finger fork that guides the shift rod look? It's the one that was held to the case with 2x 10mm bolts that you had to pop off before the shift rod would come loose. While that fork getting bent or even breaking is far more common on the 915, it could be the root of your shifting problems.

Also, something that we probably should have looked at before you yanked the gearbox out and tore it apart is the shifter bushings themselves, both the ones in the tunnel and the ones in the shifter. Given how long this car has been sitting, it could be a bushing issue. These gearboxes are sensitive enough to misadjustments that a bad tunnel bushing can really hinder the ability to shift it properly.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:32 PM
redbug2
Intermediate

Yes, the bushings in the tunnel were not great and may in fact be the cause of the problem...

But, its apart now so I do want to explore and be sure its right before I reassemble and bolt the engine back in...

4th and 5th don't seem to want to engage easily and fifth is worse. On 5th It does not "Click" in and its hard to even get the teeth to engage or line up.

Finger Forks looked good, no visible distortion. I will have another look at them tonight.

Do you dry run the gears while its out of the car? On motorcycles I'm able to shift through the transmission before I fully assemble the engine. On other standard transmissions I've been able to do it. If I can shift through the 901 gears while its out of the car that will save me some effort. I will reassemble the transmission and test. If 4th and 5th hold and actually shift into gear and hold then I will feel good about bolting it back into the car. Maybe I'll pull the housing off of the engine so I can spin the shaft to test.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
redbug2
Intermediate

Pay Dirt...

Took 4th and 5th apart and found the problem.

It's the slider. In the images below the bad one is on the left. Notice how the sides are worn off. There is no way for the slider to get on top of the synchro ring.. It will slide right off of the edge. Notice the good one on the right, it has a flatter ridge in the middle, the slider can fit over the synchro ring and hold/click/snap into the center. Tested the good slider on 4th and 5th and it held and snapped into place.

I must have heated it up well.... Also looks like it melted the sides and raised them up toward the center which would explain why I could not get it into gear. Slider was too tall.

Loose metal tab in first photo had me concerned. Thankfully it matched up to the tab of the retaining washer.

GTGEAR, do you have any good used ones you would like to sell? Or should I just buy new?

Regards,

Redbug2

Last edited by redbug2; 02-15-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm pretty sure I've got a good used one. No money required. Just shoot me a PM with your address and we'll go from there.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you found the problem.....

Did you have a look at your stuck clutch?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM
redbug2
Intermediate

Thanks,

Clutch only would stick in the extreme cold. Perhaps there was some moisture on the flywheel at the time? I will never attempt to drive it in the extreme cold again. I have driven it up and down my driveway many times since I fried the slider and have not had any sticking...

redbug2
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car glad you found the problem.. Very cool that your getting back up and going after all that time. I think youd definatly regret selling it sounds like your just getting the time to start enjoying it
Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 AM
redbug2
Intermediate

Over the last three months I have been finding parts and working on the transmission in my spare time. Also repaired the oil tank and a few more issues while the engine was out. Finally got the engine in over the past weekend. Buttoned it up Monday and put the Oil in Tuesday. Started it up and drove up and down my driveway (300 ft) Shifts great! Thanks again to everyone and especially GTGears.

Now I have to drop the oil tank again, must have missed a pin hole leak, + oil level gauge stopped working. Then I need to fix the door latches, restart the insurance, and I'll be back on the road!
Old 06-08-2011, 10:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

Great work with some great photos for other guys as to what to look for . The best part of coming here for help is ultimately you are contributing too.
Get here cleaned up , on the road and post more pics. You dont see many old ones like that much anymore.
Congrats and happy motoring

Quick Reply: I really screwed up my transmission...