Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I really screwed up my transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Ferdie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
For me the "brotherhood" of owners come first. I'm just one of the lucky few who gets to make a living doing something he really truly loves. And when we're talking about keeping a '65 911 in the hands of an excited owner, well that's important.
I am frequenting this board rather seldom but the spirit and diversity on this forum is impeccable.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM
CorsePerVita
Pro

The Camaraderie of Porsche owners has blown me away since I got into Porsche cars, goes for all models. This forum, pelican and even the 944online guys have been outstanding in the friendships, networking and connections I've found. So cool to read this and see people helping each other out like this.

Best of luck getting her back on the road to enjoy!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GT Gears

you will receive good kharma for that.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Brandon-FL
Advanced

It's the cars that draw us into this addiction, but it's the people (like GT Gears) that keep people involved and make it all worthwhile. Good luck with the project and welcome to the forum!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

I love this place.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 PM
redbug2
Intermediate

OK,

2 hours last night and I was able to drop the engine and transmission.

Found that my left half shaft bolts were loose, that would not have been a good thing if they came out while I was driving...

Now I need to take the transmission apart. Draining the transmission presently. Manual calls for differential to be removed first.

I'm reading the Pelican Parts Synchro Full-On 901 Synchro Change article, that seems to have what I need. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

redbug2

Last edited by redbug2; 02-12-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:59 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
100% agree! I love this place.
Nice!
Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
redbug2
Intermediate

Ok,

I removed the transmission from the housing... I can't see anything visibly wrong, everything looks great.. Except I can tell that 2cd and 3rd click into gear very nicely if I move the shifting fork by hand. The parts "Click" into gear.

4th and 5th do not "click". They are a little harder to push in and then the don't hold very well, its like they don't go over center. Removed fork shaft, checked detent ball, everything looks good. Fork looks good. The cast Iron shift selectors (name?) seem to be in order and align well the the other two.

I think I need to take 4th and 5th gear cluster apart and see what's happening.. Off to buy a 30 mm deep socket.

I see a lot of work that needs to be done in the engine compartment... Lots of cleaning, a little bit of paint. One of the heat exchangers has a small rust hole developing, need to stop that... Shift bellows and other rubber parts need some kind of replacement. One casualty was the ground wire off of the transmission... I got eager and worked until it got dark, missed the ground wire...

Old 02-12-2011, 04:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You're going to love it when it's back together. Nice work so far! Is that SNOW?!
Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 PM
redbug2
Intermediate

Yes, that is snow... Heat wave today, 40F and sunny, but very windy. Able to work a little longer in the elements. Very windy today. I'm good for about 2 hours and then my feet get cold. Thankfull for my farmer suit. Off to the auto store.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I had my engine out for a few months, and had it on a platform. Strange thing, it's been in the low 30s at night, and when I got the engine back in the car, I had an oil leak I think at the oil cooler. I thought it might be puking oil out through a drain somewhere, similar to my '70T. But after driving in warm weather, the leak just plain stopped. I've seen little bits of movement make a huge difference in stopping oil leaks. I even checked it again just now to make sure that I'm not a liar. I wonder if cold makes a difference?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

My guess is the trans is only the tip of the iceberg. These cars do not like sitting. I certainly would not enjoy ***** footing around in an old 911 that I was not sure is up to snuff. Like Ed said, you may consider selling it. Either that or dive into the entire car.

Bolts coming out of CV's....did you bother to inspect and repack? That's a start.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:06 AM
redbug2
Intermediate

When I was 12 my Father's best friend bought the Porsche used. He would drive me around from time to time and I loved it. I always asked him how his Porsche was. He was unemployed but would scrape enough money to keep it running. He came up with a great idea and went from food stamps to a multi millionare. He started having work done on the car, engine rebuild, suspension, etc. Every time he drove it it broke down as old cars do. Finally he said enough is enough and bought a new Porsche. One day he asked me if I wanted the car, I said yes! I've known the car for over 30 years and I've kept it for about 25 years. I have presevered it the best I could while I raised a family. I've spent a lot of money renting garages, sacraficing garage spots, and building structures to store it over that time. Also oil changes, a transmission, and other maintenance. I used to drive it before my transmission woes.

I'm sure everyone has some thoughts as to what I should do with the car, or what a poor mechanic I am.

I've seen a few Porsches at car shows or on the road that were far worse than mine. My thoughts on those cars is good for him, he's doing the best he can and the cars still here.... He obviously has a few less- resources than me, but he has a Porsche. At Carslile, PA, (a car swap meet) one year I saw a 356 that was trucked in and dropped on the ground for sale... It sat flat on the ground, more rust than metal. was not mutch left of it, rubber rotted away, no floor boards, maybe a transmission casing might have been salvagable. I thought to myself, what a shame, not even a poor mechanic was looking after it.

There's a reason I have the car, sometimes I'm not sure why I keep it, but I still have it. Maybe I'm out of my league, but I still have the car.

Hey, I'm droning...

I'm just looking for help to repair my Porsche from people that love Porsches, in any condition.

Can anyone offer some thoughts as to why my 4th and 5th gears aren't working? I think I fried the syncrhonizer clutches and they are distorted?

Thanks,

redbug2
1965 Porsche 911
Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

If all the parts are there, no reason why the car can't be made to run.

Where are you located? Perhaps someone nearby can go take a look?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:31 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi:

A survivor 65 can be great car with lots of story to it. Between here, Pelican Parts (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/usercp.php) and the Early 911S Registry (http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/forum.php), you will find experts in all things Porsche.

I know nothing about transmissions. But there are some true experts here. Besides what GT Gears posted above, my go to guys include: Peter Zimmerman (here and at Pelican), Steve Weiner (here, Pelican and Early S), John Walker (Pelican) and Grady Clay (here, Pelican and Early S). They have wide ranging experience and common sense to help you get sorted out. You will find other experts as you travel as well.

Last edited by HarryD; 02-13-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typos and more info

Quick Reply: I really screwed up my transmission...