Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raw HP dont tell the entire story. Weight. Torque. Curve of the power band, Advance characteristics of the Distributor, driver skill... all are part of the equation.

My 3.2SS, GT2 Cam... with ITB's, SSI, Sport Exhaust, Recurved Dizzy (35 degrees, all in a 3k RPM), Performance Suspension... driven by just about anyone who has even alittle skill... will outperform any Stock 80's turbo... period...

That is what the turbo guys often dont get... You need the complete package... Not just 0-75 from the stoplight times. My VW Passat 2.0T will out perform just about any 80's 911 if that is the only measure.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ya, that was an evening full of indiscretions, no doubt, but it doesn't change the quick nature of a 3.2. There simply isn't a better bang for the buck.

...and to clarify I never said the car was fast, just quick. Mine has taken me to just over 140 when it starts to get freaky. The painfully fast rush from 0 to 100 on the on-ramp is plenty for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I guess its all relative. If 0-100 doesn't happen in under 9 seconds, it ain't really quick in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Oh,well then you do think my car is quick. I thought this cockfight would never end.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

In your own words, none the less:

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Disagree, the awd and slightly different throttle response of the turbo engine do dillute the "purity" of the NA car.
You swing both ways.....

"Neck Snapping Quick" "N/A" and "Blinding Fast" "turbo" are two totally different experiences and in the quote above you seem to be in favor of the N/A.

Please clarify as this is still on topic for this tread. The OP is opting for turbo speed as he lives in Canada where I presume there are a bounty of open roads where a turbo can run free. Here in the suburbs of Los Angeles, we don't have wide open roads and find enjoyment in quick spurts on winding roads and onramps intended to allow semi's to get up to speed. Same basic cars built in wildly different fashion.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Oh,well then you do think my car is quick. I thought this cockfight would never end.
sorry guy, but no way is your "mildly modified" 3.2 getting to 100mph in less than 9 seconds.

In your own words, none the less:

You swing both ways.....

"Neck Snapping Quick" "N/A" and "Blinding Fast" "turbo" are two totally different experiences and in the quote above you seem to be in favor of the N/A.

Please clarify as this is still on topic for this tread. The OP is opting for turbo speed as he lives in Canada where I presume there are a bounty of open roads where a turbo can run free. Here in the suburbs of Los Angeles, we don't have wide open roads and find enjoyment in quick spurts on winding roads and onramps intended to allow semi's to get up to speed. Same basic cars built in wildly different fashion.
I don't swing anywhere. There is a purity to an N/A engine that you don't get from a turbo engine...but purity only takes you so far, and then there is a need for acceleration.

If my car could develop 424bhp in NA form, I'd prefer that...but it doesn't.

However, for quick spurts, the turbo is still far faster.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Back on the droid....

I am here <----- ------> you are here

I'm talkin firecrackers that go off in a snap, you are talking F/A-18 that produce far more thrust, that is useless unless already at speed.

Take your engine to about 5500 RPM in first gear and Blip your throttle....what happens? Is it painful? Does the wheel almost jump from your hands? Does the attitude of your front end swing wildly upwards? Does your head snap back violently? If not, your car sucks.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Back on the droid....

I am here <----- ------> you are here

I'm talkin firecrackers that go off in a snap, you are talking F/A-18 that produce far more thrust, that is useless unless already at speed.

Take your engine to about 5500 RPM in first gear and Blip your throttle....what happens? Is it painful? Does the wheel almost jump from your hands? Does the attitude of your front end swing wildly upwards? Does your head snap back violently? If not, your car sucks.
I honestly have no clue what you're talking about.

I do like that you ducked the fact that your car ain't getting from 0-100 in under 9 seconds if its anywhere near "mildly modified".

I've seen your MIL shenangians...I'm still thinking that you're just trolling me right now.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

What Amber is saying since you seem to be impaired (perhaps by your fat neck caused by turbo torque)... is that by the time you get your turbo in the sweet spot... you are already double the speed limit in any urban area... So what use is that? no one questions whether a 911 Turbo is a fast car.
We can pull from 2500-6000 in a NA car and have a true driving experience that you cant possibly experience in a turbo and stay out of jail. Saying your 0-100 is faster than mine is silly.. because the speed limit is 40. Im more interested in the seat of the pants as as downshift at 3k rpm and take it to redline.

I know both sides because I own both a NA car and a Turbo car. The turbo is a blast... but seriously by the time it hits the sweet spot Im going double the speed limit on just about any road. There is virtually no place i can really drive it here in Houston. And turbo lag is there. period. to deny lag means your are just in denial.

We are already going the speed limit when you leave the lag stage. then its too late to benefit from the turbo.

Its the seat of the pants dyno as much as the real dyno numbers in a NA car.

I do like that you ducked the fact that your car ain't getting from 0-100 in under 9 seconds if its anywhere near "mildly modified".

I've seen your MIL shenangians...I'm still thinking that you're just trolling me right now.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Quad this WAS a great thread .. and looking at your first post in this thread there is not much doubt who the troller is .... you have your opinion and fair enough .. no need to come here and just **** on everyone.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

No trollin' goin' on. Every time I've posted that I can get down the on ramp in my 23 year old garage queen in a fashion that would make an ///M5 owner rethink quick I get some kid telling me I'm hallucinating. All I know is that it's the quickest think I've ever driven. It blows away the Barracuda I had in high school and leaves my boss's 997 behind off the line.... Now, I'll admit he's got 70 or 80 grand more into his car than I do so he may be a bit concerned about hurting it, but still, if it was quick it would at least keep up.

Your need for a firm 9 seconds to get from 0 to 100 is kind of like saying that if I don't follow your political leanings I shouldn't vote. Who gives a rats *** if it takes 9, 10, 11, or 12 seconds if it puts a smile on my face in that first 3 or 4 seconds? With a tall first gear and all the weight in the back it isn't a dragster anyway. My main concern is keeping it pointed in the right direction and not spinning the clutch. What it does over about 80 miles an hour is really of no practical use in the real world. It wouldn't matter if it could go 0-200 miles an hour in 9 seconds if that last 100 MPH qualifies you for jail time. It's really all about balance. What's the point of go fast if you can't enjoy it?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:27 AM
2specs
Instructor

It's not all about speed. Like Ed said, it's about the whole package and I don't mean the one in your pants guys. I'm excited to go ahead with this project and being 42 years old, it's my midlife crisis prescription. I will have something unique, interesting, quick, fast, with a little rumble. I had a 71 Dart Swinger Special in high school and that was very quick, a Torino after that one but this is the one I've always wanted so here I go. Isn't that what these cars all all about?

Most of these cars today are not concourse cars so we personalize them to what we want. Amber, you obviously are very happy with the performance of your car so shouldn't have to try and justify your car. I drove a 2010 Adrenalin off the lot last summer and lost 5K off my purchase price and I got a smokin deal. I'm not doing it for resale, if you wanna go head to head when I'm done let's go and may the best driver win. Winner buys the beer....for a week!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Sammy you are going to have a great ride. Don't let my total disdain for the douche-bag type dissuade you from your dream ride. I say go for it. . . . and enjoy every second of it.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:53 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the 50-100mph passing power of the 3.2, which still has the go-cart feel of a light front end, torsion bar suspension, and flickable rear end. My typical trip takes me 40-200 miles from home, so the 3.2 911 is more than enough. There are more powerful cars, especially Porsches, out there, but at some weight and sensory penalty.

I've been driving Porsches since I was 15 and had my learner's permit. Now that I'm going to turn 42 (can it be?) later this year, what shall I do for my mid-life crisis? Oh thats right, I have no mid life crisis, I own the antidote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Sammy you are going to have a great ride. Don't let my total disdain for the douche-bag type dissuade you from your dream ride. I say go for it. . . . and enjoy every second of it.
You hit the nail on the head.

Quick Reply: Engine upgrade