993 or 997

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011 | 09:08 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
For a daily driver, 997 hands down.... But for a fun weekend car, you need to drive a 993 and see what you think, the answer will be clear....

There is just something about a 993 that speaks to me, no its not the fastest, nor the best handling. But the way it does it.. the feel.. the feedback... nothing matches it in my mind... If you drive one and dont get that same feeling, then buy a 997... its a better car....

Just my 2 cents.
+1 ..... Although I question .. (quote, “a 997 ... it’s a better car) LoL.

The 993 cars have that visceral component in Spades… the 977 and other cars not so much.
Old 01-15-2011 | 09:28 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Two different cars with a very different approach.

For all of you purists, if you want the essence of Porsche, neither the 993 or 997 gets you there. Get some seat time in a 3.2 series and you will know what I mean. In fact, some say that the later generation 964 (post 1992) is even better than the 993.

I enjoyed my 993 for 7 years. Great car. The 997 is new to me and with the winter weather in the NY Metro area, I really do not have enough seat time to provide in depth commentary but my 500 miles have been enjoyable. And I am getting older and the comfort level is appreciated.

The best is to have all of them.
Old 01-15-2011 | 09:35 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Two different cars with a very different approach.

For all of you purists, if you want the essence of Porsche, neither the 993 or 997 gets you there. Get some seat time in a 3.2 series and you will know what I mean. In fact, some say that the later generation 964 (post 1992) is even better than the 993.

I enjoyed my 993 for 7 years. Great car. The 997 is new to me and with the winter weather in the NY Metro area, I really do not have enough seat time to provide in depth commentary but my 500 miles have been enjoyable. And I am getting older and the comfort level is appreciated.

The best is to have all of them.
Every Porsche owner thinks they have the last/best Porsche.

In reality, everyone knows the wide body 2WD 993 was the purest essence of Porsche ever expressed.
Old 01-15-2011 | 09:41 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus

In reality, everyone knows the wide body 2WD 993 was the purest essence of Porsche ever expressed.
Agree.

I hear that there is a sweet 97 C2S Artic Silver (could be Polar silver) on the market located in Delaware. Excessively autocrossed and driven like it was stolen. What is your asking price?

Mark
Old 01-15-2011 | 09:47 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
All depends on what "trips your trigger". I just can't get over how excited I get every time I turn the key and hear that "bark" of the 993 coming to life.
Originally Posted by M. Schneider
The 993 cars have that visceral component in Spades… the 977 and other cars not so much.
pretty much sums it up for me. The "walk around" test is really all I needed. For whatever reason, the 997's just look kinda ordinary, blend in more to my eye. The same basic shape is there naturally, just no where's near as exciting to look at for me.
Old 01-15-2011 | 09:57 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree.

I hear that there is a sweet 97 C2S Artic Silver (could be Polar silver) on the market located in Delaware. Excessively autocrossed and driven like it was stolen. What is your asking price?

Mark
How can you put a price on perfection?
Old 01-15-2011 | 10:09 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on your driving interest. Daily drive is the 997. A couple of DE's a year would be the 997. For a car more about driving and additional track usage 993. If you like to mod cars 993. You are limited in the development of a 997 for track use where the GT3 has the proper transmission an engine for the added track rigors. I have owned both a 997 and 993 at the same time, but was not driving the 997 enough to keep it. Maybe that answers your question, but my 993 is nearly an RSR now which makes it not a fair comparison.
Old 01-15-2011 | 10:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

A porsche to me is this:

and this

not this:

PSM is an automatic control system for providing stability at the limits of dynamic driving performance, and is a standard feature of every 911. Sensors work continuously to monitor the driving direction, speed, yaw velocity and lateral acceleration of the car. Using this information, PSM computes the actual direction of motion. If this direction deviates from the desired course, PSM initiates braking interventions targeted at individual wheels – recognizable by the flashing indicator light in the cockpit – in order to stabilize the vehicle.

Under acceleration on wet or low-grip road surfaces, PSM improves traction using the ABD (automatic brake differential) and ASR (anti-slip regulation) functions. The control interventions are smooth and precise, giving an agile response. When ‘Sport’ mode is selected on the optional Sport Chrono Package Plus, the PSM intervention threshold is raised to enable greater driver involvement – particularly at speeds of up to approximately 45 mph.

The integrated ABS shortens the braking distance even further and the braking inputs are smooth and precise, thereby enhancing comfort.

An enhanced PSM system, now also available in rear-drive models, is characterized by two additional functions: the precharging of the brake system, and brake assist.

If the driver suddenly releases the accelerator pedal, the PSM automatically readies the braking system. With the braking system having been precharged, the brake pads are already in light contact with the brake discs. Maximum braking power is therefore achieved much sooner.

When sudden braking is detected – i.e. if the pressure on the brake pedal exceeds a predefined level – the brake assist function uses the PSM hydraulics to apply maximum brake pressure to all four wheels.

If you want a purely active driving experience, you always have the option to deactivate PSM. It is automatically reactivated, for your safety, only if either of the front wheels (in sport mode, both of the front wheels) requires ABS assistance. The ABD function, however, remains active at all times.

In conclusion, PSM offers a high level of driving stability and safety – and typical Porsche agility at the same time.
I think my S class is a better daily driver than any 911, and I just don't want a water cooled 911 for a fun car.
Old 01-15-2011 | 11:34 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by cdm_356
If you were a newbie looking to take the initial step into Porsche ownership would you still choose a 993 over a 997?
I did then and I would now.

The weekend I went shopping for my first Porsche, I looked at a 2007 997, then looked at and drove a 1995 993 and finished off the weekend by looking at and driving a 2005 997.

The drive in the 997 is what made me decide on the 993 that I ended up buying. The 997 just didn't do that much for me. I bought that 993 and it was the first 993 and second Porsche that I looked at.
Old 01-15-2011 | 11:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
A porsche to me is...

not this:

That is one of the reasons I didn't like it.

It reminded me too much of a Japanese dash...plastic and gimmicky high-tech screen and buttons...aimed at some three-piece suit type instead of an enthusiast.
Old 01-15-2011 | 11:43 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Can we (the forum) swing really wide and take this thread in the direction of Analog VS Digital? A starting piont could be,,,, say 1981...
Less filling, no great taste..
Old 01-15-2011 | 11:51 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Can we (the forum) swing really wide and take this thread in the direction of Analog VS Digital? A starting point could be,,,, say 1981...
Less filling, no great taste..
You are preaching to the wrong guy.

I believe in high-tech if "real" gains are realized. So far, my 1983 Toyota Corolla with a carb, a boxy unaerodynamic shape got better fuel mileage than my Toyota Tercel which was 12 years newer that was far more aerodynamic, fuel infected and a smaller engine. Go figure!!!

When I head into remote areas (180 miles to the next town and gas station), I take my gravity fed, carburetted motorcycle, not my high tech wonder with a fuel pump and Motronic.
Old 01-15-2011 | 12:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

No sure I agree, having owned a 3.0 SC for seven years, and driven several 964's, 930's, earlier 911's. I just found the 993 the perfect blend of feel/power/features. I drove my SC daily, hauled my kids around in it, did grocery shopping and even hauled bricks, and while extremely hardy, was also quite primitive to what I needed.

It is a perpetual argument for sure. I do know that I can service any of the 1965-1998 cars no problems, but once the 996 hit, the specialized tools and diagnostics you needed to do to DIY got out of hand. Its possible, but just that much harder.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-15-2011 | 12:20 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus

Ha! I think the purest essence is the 993 Turbo, hands down. Its got all the components in spades, power, handling, looks, finish...the wide body 2WD is nice, but it does not have the grunt to match its looks.

(oops...flame suit on).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-15-2011 | 12:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Ha! I think the purest essence is the 993 Turbo, hands down. Its got all the components in spades, power, handling, looks, finish...the wide body 2WD is nice, but it does not have the grunt to match its looks.

(oops...flame suit on).

Cheers,

Mike
Disagree, the awd and slightly different throttle response of the turbo engine do dillute the "purity" of the NA car.

Quick Reply: 993 or 997