Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
2specs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Exactly. I may not have the fastest to the next stoplight, but as a package, it is very capable.
Ed, your car is great but it didn't get that way overnight and I'm sure you didn't do it thinking you would recoup your money either. The 3.3 or the 3.6 will have close to the same horsepower. I don't drive like it's my last day on this good earth and respect the other needed suspension and brakes upgrades which will be fun and challenging to do.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:50 PM
2specs
Instructor

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Here is a 3.2 turbo look that has had a turbo added a few years back. Seems Spencer was happy with the results...:rock_on:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ml#post5383907
I like that setup. No tail either..

Thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 2specs
Ed, your car is great but it didn't get that way overnight and I'm sure you didn't do it thinking you would recoup your money either. The 3.3 or the 3.6 will have close to the same horsepower. I don't drive like it's my last day on this good earth and respect the other needed suspension and brakes upgrades which will be fun and challenging to do.
I did take some time to do this. But it started with suspension round 1, then on to brakes, then on to engine round 1, then to suspension round 2, then to engine round 2. If you're going to forced induction, I think brakes at a minimum are required to start with, as you'll make a big leap. Stock brakes are not up to the challenge, IMO. Then, you'll quickly see the thing squatting badly in the rear, and realize you need suspenders. Definitely needed, but not as critical as binders.

We can only assume you plan on taking advantage of the higher HP, as this is the reason you are doing this, is it not?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I think Ed has it right. If you are incrementally changing the HP, then this can all be incremental over time. Stage 1 -- Brakes, Suspension, then Power. So the car can handle the power. Stage 2- etc. Stage 3 - etc. Adding SSI's / Sport exhaust might add 10 hp. Hot cam and ITB's might add 20-30... But if you are going to increase HP on day 1 by 60%+ (180 to 300)... then the brakes, suspension, etc cant be incremental. It just all needs to get done or your car will be unstable and unsafe at speed.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

If you recurve that Dizzy and add the ITB's, upgrade that exhaust... upgrade that suspension... that will be all the car you can handle for quite some time unless you have alot of track time under your belt...
Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 PM
2specs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I did take some time to do this. But it started with suspension round 1, then on to brakes, then on to engine round 1, then to suspension round 2, then to engine round 2. If you're going to forced induction, I think brakes at a minimum are required to start with, as you'll make a big leap. Stock brakes are not up to the challenge, IMO. Then, you'll quickly see the thing squatting badly in the rear, and realize you need suspenders. Definitely needed, but not as critical as binders.

We can only assume you plan on taking advantage of the higher HP, as this is the reason you are doing this, is it not?
Yes, more HP. You are absolutely right about the brakes. I plan to leave it stock mechanically until other things are done.

We still got 5 feet of snow here until March.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:41 PM
2specs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
I think Ed has it right. If you are incrementally changing the HP, then this can all be incremental over time. Stage 1 -- Brakes, Suspension, then Power. So the car can handle the power. Stage 2- etc. Stage 3 - etc. Adding SSI's / Sport exhaust might add 10 hp. Hot cam and ITB's might add 20-30... But if you are going to increase HP on day 1 by 60%+ (180 to 300)... then the brakes, suspension, etc cant be incremental. It just all needs to get done or your car will be unstable and unsafe at speed.
No track time for me. I don't typically drive real fast anyway but I will look into the brakes for now. What do you guys suggest?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Ill defer to Ed and other experts since mine are just new but in stock form. i dont really have an opinion that would be based on fact. . Sounds like an exciting project. Congrats!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm no expert, but there are 930 brake setups, and in my case, I've got 993 calipers all the way around with large Willwood rotors up front and 930 rear rotors. All bolt-on stuff, and I know Steve @ Rennsport sells the kits to do this. A turbo master cylinder is part of the upgrade too, since you're pushing more fluid. Lots of stopping power. You'll probably want to maximize your rubber too, so that you have something to hold on to the road with.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve is the brake guru for sure.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdzB8YJAGiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmU7qpLhQy0
Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

WOW ! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:30 PM
2specs
Instructor

Great videos..thanks..

Steve...I'll PM you later today.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

My car started as an sc... I have 3.5 turbo motor, fully built with all the goodies, upgraded all the suspension, short bell housing 4 sp with shorter gears. I dont even want to tell you how much work is involved and how much it is going to cost unless you do it yourself. I have about 420RWHP and I also have a widebody figerglass kit so the kit weighs about 2500lbs.. The car goes like an anamal.
If I had to do it again I would start with a 930 only because of the loss of money you will see but there is nothing like it because of the weight and the power.. I have full boost by 2700rpms and have close to no turbo lag... As far as chasis handling the power. I have no problem with that. I dont track it but I use to have my AMA motorcycle racing license so I know how it should handle and it is fine for me.
The 3.6 is the way to go if you want good reliablity. It is alot more reliable than the turbo motor. Even though I have had no issues with mine. I have some friends with the 3.6 and it is great on a 5 speed. It doesn't hold water against a worked turbo motor but is alot more modern motor. I am a HP freak so I wanted the turbo motor.
In the long run it will be cheaper to sell yours and buy a 930 or 964 and start from there.
John

Quick Reply: Engine upgrade