Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruby gets a little love today....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:09 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed, I've been glancing at 993s on your behalf as I stumble across them. Some nice looking cars out there. Somewhere I came across a paint-to-sample (fly yellow) C4S. I thought about linking you too it, but...it's bright yellow. Anyhoo, what are you thinking? C4S, regular coupe, cab, Targa, or does it even matter right now? Varioram is nice(97/98)introduced on the targa. Keep us posted. Your hunt sounds like a lot of fun and could make a nice discussion here.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm starting out by looking at base Carreras next week. A '95 and a '97. I'll probably go Coupe, but if I came across a nice Targa, would consider it.

I wil focus on C2's first to see if they would suit my needs. Then, I'll look at a couple of C4S'. I would probably opt for one of them, but then again if I can save $15-20k on a Carrera that I loved, nothing wrong with that!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to see you are doing ok after all that has been happening in your world....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z8kd8LPBrw
Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Tango635
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, I'm late to the party as usual, but I think the 993's will be too similar to Ruby and yet different in a bad way (heavy and slower). Have you considered something that will give you a bigger contrast to Ruby, something like a Ferrari, an Auston Martin or a Maserati? These will be on the posh side, which may make you appreciate Ruby even more, yet they will still provide sufficient go. My favorites are the Aston's but I don't know how any of these are in the quality department. The Ferrari Maranello has really nice lines. The nicer ones are over 100k tho.

A ferrari 456?
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

an Aston DB7?

a Maser Q-porte

an Aston v8 Vantage

a Ferrari Maranello
Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yes, it does. That, and not being black, were her only criteria.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Hey Ed interested in a drive tomorrow?
Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Doug-actually, my world this week has been Pennsylvania.

Tango- no way is a 993 going to be too similar to Ruby. I'm looking for a solid, dependable and semi-economical car for weekend trips. Those cars do not fit that bill to varying extents. Then, there is the matter of purchase price. I don't want lighter or faster than Ruby-she does ok on my speed fix.

Ed-I'm literally getting off my plane right now, and have an appt on a dyno at 8 tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:45 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Oh yeah I forgot. Well if you decide to drive the car outside a garage let me know sunday. I've got a set of rears that I need to get to the chords ASAP.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Let me see. It was hi honey, missed you this week at 11 last night and then bye honey, off to play with the mistress this morning.

Doug- that is some scary stuff though-that guy is A-one scary. Cops said it was beyond their scope, called the Feds in. They went into the house, and pulled out. Said it needed to be destroyed.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
whalebird
Race Car

I'm anxious to hear your impressions of the group Ed. In my experience, a base Carrera is an amazing car - the total package really. I recall the difference between a Carrera and a C4S to negligible in day-to-day driving. The added weight and complexity of the C4S offsets the "easily tossed around" feeling of the Carrera. Plus, the saved coin would go a long way toward any suspension/exhaust/wheel mods if you were so inclined. If I presume, your objective is different here than with Ruby; comfortably opted - yet performance too. Say...full leather, heated seat interior with sport suspension and "motor sound". A juxtaposition in Ruby. A base Carrera can fit the bill as well as a C4S. The Carrera S(C2S) never did it for me like a C4S(Big Brakes), but the choices are unlimited and the hunt is the fun part.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Early reporting: 227 RWHP
Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Early reporting: 227 RWHP

Old 12-11-2010, 03:02 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Just for context, a 930 of the same era made around 260hp, subtract 14% drivetrain loss = ~223hp in a heavy car.
That is a fast 911 Ruby is.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:11 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

Ed,

Just before bought my widebody cab last year, I had a '96 (Varioram) 993 coupe. It was a great car overall, especially the "real" air conditioning system that actually cooled the car sufficiently...it gets very hot and humid here in summertime Georgia, as I'm sure it does in SoCal.

One caution, though is that the Varioram cars have an issue with Secondary Air Injection, in that many/most of them get coked up ports which throw a MIL code. The SAI only works at startup and right afterward and has no effect on tailpipe emissions. We have emissions testing here but it is not nearly as Draconian as it is out your way.

I bought an Actron code scanner which allowed me to clear the check engine light. There is a rather annoying drive cycle that has to be done after the CEL has been reset to reset the readiness codes...there about 8 of them as I recall.

I'm not sure if this "home remedy" will work with California emissions testing but I see no reason why it won't. If you are serious about buying a '96-98 993, you may want to check the Rennlist 993 board and do a search for "SAI". It is a more common problem on these cars than IMS and RMS failures on the M96/97 engines.

For that reason alone should I ever buy another 993, it would be a 1995 model since they are pre-OBD II and don't have SAI.

The only other thing I didn't care for was the ultra-tall gearing that is on all the USA 993's. Both my 964 RSA's felt considerably quicker and I believe the difference was gearing as they were both stone stock, as was the 993.

Funny thing, I wasn't planning on selling my 993 but a nice gentleman made me an offer I just couldn't refuse at the time..."S" money for a narrow body.

And a similar thing is happening with my '89. It looks like it will be headed to its new owner in Germany in 2-3 weeks.

Good luck with your search!
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

wb- I'm happy with the numbers, I think Mr Wong can get a couple of more HP out of the chip

Jack- I'm well aware of the CEL/SAI deal. I'm looking at '95 models also due to this. There is a credible DIY process posted here on RL using bike brake cables to clear the ports on VRAM cars, that is interesting.

Quick Reply: Ruby gets a little love today....