Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Revisiting the Motor Meister issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Arctic1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has been there a year without being worked on???

Why do you keep it there? I like to drive mine, not let someone else store it for me - especially after I gave them money to do no work.

jb
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 PM
GRINBOB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget MM, the 15 year old next door kid could probably do a better job.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GRINBOB
Forget MM, the 15 year old next door kid could probably do a better job.
Well, I would put my 911 engine #1 I did when I was 18 up against any of their stuff, from what I've seen. But that was in their earliest days.

Realistically, I have to admit what pretty much paid for law school 20 years ago was doing these base "rebuild" MotorMiester quotes. 2.7s were falling apart all over the place, and I was picking up as many cores as I could to scavenge parts. Did all the machine work myself (case--timeserts and cut it flat, wouldn't use one if it needed a line bore, heads--had access to a Serdi and flycut the mating surfaces to clean them up). Main thing on those engines was to stop the leaking. So a basic unit went out the door for $2900. I'd likely get the upsell for the R&R, and often a clutch job + fix the likely dead 1st gear coupling teeth/shifter sleeve to keep a 915 going.

If I did 8-9 total jobs like that a year, that was enough. Probably another 5-6 longblocks owners installed. Kept me busy for about 5 years, along with doing slope/widebody/RS conversions.

Ultimately, it's all about your attention to detail, and how much you can do yourself. All-in back then if I netted $50/hr. for my time it was better than I could have done being a paralegal or law clerk work.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 PM
GRINBOB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One smart lawyer!
I never had access to a machine shop (or talent), so I sent the items I could not do to a friends shop. I worked on GM and Fords in college, forty years ago.

Quick Reply: Revisiting the Motor Meister issue