Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wisp of fuel ID'd.............

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:59 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll see this thread to the end, to keep all updated. I really hope to get some pics for everybody.

She'll go in Sunday, so I hit her this weekend with some prework...she now has fresh dist cap, rotor, plugs, clean ICV, oil / oil filter / air filter change. Plan to change the fuel filter just before I take her in (which will purposefully be VERY low, for my wrench).

The fuse pathing for the pump was extra-cleaned ,..fresh fuse. Connections at fuel pump burnished/cleaned (ready for a NEW pump),..pressures are fine on this "soon-2-B-extracted" ORIGINAL 89 Fuel Pump. Forgot to get the current draw number...(maybe later)....it will be a spare inanycase......

Are there any other things that you guys would recco' on this rework? Pressure regulator? Leave alone....? All hoses 'round back (engine) are practically new, to include all recently replaced fuel lines..

AND,...of course, a fresh DME relay (I change it out each year---so far). New really gave me an additional .2-.3 VDC on the contact output side (I know,..I'm a freak)....

Grounds were checked (throughout the car)...

SO: she'll be ready for 'em when this fuel repair time comes. He did mention cutting with a tool that didn't generate sparks and replacing/recrimping fresh Porsche hose.....he will provide me the pressure check numbers after installation.....

She ran so good today (quite cool out, BTW),..everything quite smooth through any RPM setting,.....not a hint at hiccups.....very responsive,..my injectors must really be clean....however I see myself maybe sending 'em out for testing/rework so that I know where they stand.......(once this front end fuel work is reworked). Geeze,..I couldn't imagine this car running any better?

Gonna be a cold one down here tonight.

Best!

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

WhyTF did I order a KL-22 instead of my typical KL 21? Time to review this, as I simply ordered what my car called for,....fitting check time? These directly interchangable?

Time to search..

Will be dropping her off with my Wrench, possibly Sunday....and have her back Moday afternoon...hopefully "fuel wisp GONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fresh Pump (keep that old one for sure)

I'll let you guys know how this pans out..

Doyle
Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Correct me if I'm wrong on this,..my '89 running a KL 21 fuel filter,..and I have a KL 22 in hand (how, I don't yet know)

Assuming the fittings work out OK (on this KL22),..i've read where the KL22 was made to handle the higher system pressure of CIS (75 vs 37 psi).

It would appear that these filters are, in fact, interchangeable, as long as the fittings mate properly...

What say you Gents?

Doyle'
Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doyle...quick note, sorry i didn't get in touch with you earlier this week. I was "busy": 9lbs 7oz. A big girl for sure, but her and mom are great and came through with minmal difficulty. It may take me a while to recover however. I could not be any happier.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Originally Posted by whalebird
Doyle...quick note, sorry i didn't get in touch with you earlier this week. I was "busy": 9lbs 7oz. A big girl for sure, but her and mom are great and came through with minmal difficulty. It may take me a while to recover however. I could not be any happier.
WOW!

A BIG congratulations in order.
Happy to hear all is well
Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

CONGRATS BIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very happy for you and the Wife,....very happy.

What's the girl's name? Pics? Glad to know all went smoothly,..I'm certain your hands are full , as the cup runneth' over. Relax and enjoy.......................!

Call when you've the time bud. I'll propose a toast tonight (at dinner) to you and the Family!!!!!!!

AGAIN! BIG CONGRATS...in fact, I'll break out the XO and a fine Cohiba...

BEST!

Doyle
Old 01-15-2011, 05:09 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Gonna' be getting some pics of the area this A.M.....will post 'em. She's slated into the hands of my P-Wrench this Monday.

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-16-2011, 01:47 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks guy's. Here is karoline Ann Woody
Attached Images  
Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS, MOMMA AND PAPPA WHALEBIRD!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:40 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
CONGRATULATIONS, MOMMA AND PAPPA WHALEBIRD!!!
X2

Beautiful daughter you both have.

John
Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Yeap, a beut, BIRD! CONGRATS to you both,..NOW, there's "work" to be done!!!!!!,.(that is,.."work" at YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!)

Best,

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-16-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: content/clarification
Old 01-16-2011, 05:10 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Just dropped the 911 off with the wrench to get this fuel leak issue resolved tomorrow....will soon post some pics I took yesterday, revisiting that area............................I've a better grasp (I think) now of what to expect (and how). Fresh hoses up front), new fuel pump, new check valve,..pressure measurements.

She'll be getting a fresh battery (BIG BOY) with a new battery disconnect installed.

She sure was running good today!!!!!!!!

And i've a frikin nail in my driver side rear.

Best,

Doyle
Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Congratulations Papa wb! She's beautiful
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Wink

Looks like I'll pick her up today! (not Bird's new daughter, but my 911). Just spoke with James (my P-wrench) and it looks like all went well with the noted repairs.

Firstly, we've loading a fresh Interstate Mega-Tron PLUS 93 MONSTER BATTERY in there and (apparently) a tight fitting battery quick disconnect assembly on the negative terminal (FINALLY!). No battery issues, mind you,..it's just that this Porsche battery has been in for +6 years....she's been a good one.

New Bosche Fuel pump/check valve and new fuel hoses up front (everywhere). Didn't really know what to expect as to the tunnel issue and repairs outside of the tunnel. Luckily, I garnered enough info from the gracious NGs to decide how to approach it.....turns out the hard lines are IN FACT a ferrel (sp?), tapered,..probably just like some of the photos posted in earlier threads (early '80's stuff) relating to this type of repair. Wrench said it would be a good repair,..easily done. GREAT! Stayed AWAY from the TUNNEL!!!!!!!!!!!! They'll get the pressure measurements shortly and I'll go get her back home.

Kinda' glad I turned this one over to the Porsche mechanic for repair.

Here's some prework pics:

Added bonus: nail/screw in driver rear tire! No air loss (ever) but had to get that taken' care of.

Glad I have a great relationship with James Roberts and Serge Dela Bruyere at Robert's Automotive in the MEGAPOLOUS of Bolingbroke, Georgia!!!!!

Gotta' support the wrenches every now and then, eh!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images    
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Once I get her home and back on the rack, I'll shoot some more post work pics for you guys.

The "wisp of fuel" has been "wisped away"...............

Quick Reply: Wisp of fuel ID'd.............