Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wisp of fuel ID'd.............

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:49 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bird,

I found the attached pics, for what it's worth (and thanks to the Gentleman who posted these..)

Does the system use a barbed style fitting such as these? (on a 1989?). The parts breakdown pic doesn't provide any clue....

Man,..it's cold out!!!!!!!
Attached Images    
Old 12-04-2010, 08:46 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Here's another IPB shot,..this one showing a bit more "pic" as to a possible union (although I think this pic may not be my car,..but then I just don't know yet).

Best,

Doyle
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am sure that a custom line could be made like I had suggested, but looking at the pics, I'm not so sure the '44 lines would be a plug and play. I'll do some digging around and see if I can find anything - if for any reason to clarify in my own head how it is assembled. I don't want to waste your time with misinformation.
Divide and conquer...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doyle, my 911 is still in the air with the engine out, waiting for me to get to work on it. I can take a look at what you're looking for. Basically, my recollection so far is that the lines in the tunnel are semi rigid rubber/plastic hard lines, and they thread onto the lines in the engine bay. No barbed fittings anywhere. Replacement of the tunnel lines does not require engine removal. But it is a pita. I'm not 100% sure what exact info you're needing Doyle, so if you can let me know I'll see if I can grab a pic.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
whalebird
Race Car

I'm afraid I'm not much help here as I don't have a Carrera to look at. I don't recall ever seeing a barbed fitting as pictured, but what do I know. Rusnak, once again your the answer-man.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not sure a DIY barbed fitting would ever work on the high pressure line. You'd never get a hose clamp to seal, IMO. You'll be looking at crimped lines minimum. I think rusnak has it correct as far as logistics. Engine out or not, it is a PITA project either way. I've not replaced mine, but I cannot imagine Porsche could've used anything other than a non-rubber materical in the tunnel.

I'd order OEM replacements and not screw around on these.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I know I can get blinders on when focusing on an issue, but that ^^^ is probably a great idea.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 PM
whalebird
Race Car

It is cold. Snowing right now, calling for 3"-5" by tonight. Lows ~ 12/ highs~22.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
I know I can get blinders on when focusing on an issue, but that ^^^ is probably a great idea.
It's just my thought. When dealing with lines that are totally visible and "easily" accessible, going to a custom fabbed line can certainly make sense.

Of course, this is all predicated on them being available still as an OEM goodie.

PS- It's only a high of 50's here today, so we're in the throes of a cold snap too!
Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Thinking now in larger "lego blocks", I would think either the fuel tank or drivetrain removed would be the easiest. Inside the tunnel is cramped.
Looking at the title of this thread; Doyle if you haven't, maybe pull the trunk stuff out and have a peek at the filler neck hoses and vent lines inside the trunk. That would certainly allow fumes into the cabin. This is, again, a problem on 944s.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I recall pushing them from front to back because of the bend in the front.

If a question of whether to use Porsche fuel line or no, 100% go w factory. If just one line is bad though, I see no reason to replace both. It's a tough job. Taking some of the other cables out and pushing the shift rod to the side may,help.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:31 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I agree rus. plus e-brake cables, goofey climate control stuff; it's a job you want to get done right the first time.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments.

It is certainly a leak coming from the rubber hose crimp, right where it goes into the bulkhead (coming from the high pressure side of the nearby fuel pump.

This looks to be a real pain,...no time to get her on the rack today....finished up a miderable day dealing with the loor lock cylinder issue..........nothing more fun than spending your day inside the driver-side door......something seemingly so simple,..taking damned near 5+ hours.....aggravating problems, noted in another thread...

I'll continue to investigate..

Thanks, again, to all.

Happy Holidays!

Doyle
Old 12-04-2010, 11:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Doyle, so if you get the steering rack cover off, you should see the hard rubber line fairly well. Once you know for sure, it's easy to see what's got to be replaced.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to update this thread,...as I've conferred with my P-wrench and will be handing off this repair, in a week or so.

We're gonna' rework all lines (up font) ..fresh fuel pump, check valve,..any hardware,...all fresh hoses ,..and address the issue AT the firewall (or bulkhead/tunnel, if you prefer). (My rear has been completely reworked , BTW, on a recent engine drop)

As noted my leak is at the crimped fitting going into the tunnel.....I've not time to deal with this and all seems well on the wrench's approach. So,..off he will go,..I'll try to get by and get some pics for the group (especially on 1989), while they work through this.

Sorry for the no ofference of DIY....schedule doesn't permit......

Will share what I've got, though!\\\

Best!

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 01-18-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Wisp of fuel ID'd.............