Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is this '87 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Ping,
I am not trying to be offensive but I looked at your autotrader add and I would not call the car good to great shape. Looks like a decent clean driver but IMO not good to great. You might want to show shots of the underside and let people know more about how many owners and what kind of history you have on the car. I think your price is very reasonable to cheap IMO.

Having bought and sold many 911’s I find that those people who are looking for a car like yours often are fairly knowledgeable and would want some more details to help decide if they want to go ahead and contact you.

Correct me if I am wrong... this is your add?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Ping,
<snip> You might want to show shots of the underside and let people know more about how many owners and what kind of history you have on the car. I think your price is very reasonable to cheap IMO.

Having bought and sold many 911’s I find that those people who are looking for a car like yours often are fairly knowledgeable and would want some more details to help decide if they want to go ahead and contact you.
Good find. Appears to be the ad. Regardless and for the sake of helping out, I noticed in the description...

"...only seen rain 3 times. Once while I was driving and twice when I had it in the garage and had the cover off"

My curious mind asks, "How did it get rained on in the garage?"

May sounds nitpicky, but if no one has called, I'd INCREASE reasons not to question anything in your listing.

I too beleive that to be a heck of a price. I'm even a fan of the BBS since so period authentic. Anyway, best wishes on the sale.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:18 PM
pingman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that is the ad, and I appreciate the advice! The rain in garage thing was a, now I realize, a poor joke intended to say, "I have taken great pains to take care of the car and not driven it in the rain". The joke part was that I parked in the garage when it rained so that when it quit we would go for a drive, hence the cover off. My wife says I have an abstract sense of humor too. Anyway thanks for the advice and I'll update the ad. And by the way when I said good to great I mean't the car for the money. I did not mean to suggest it was a concors car. I figured an educated audience would understand my intent. Thanks Mark
Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Just trying to be of some help. The add did read "good to great" condition. I think from the price its assumed its not a concors car. Shots of the underside of the motor and history on the car are aways very helpful. Mention of paperwrok too. Good luck with the sale.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pingman
Yes that is the ad, and I appreciate the advice! The rain in garage thing was a, now I realize, a poor joke intended to say, "I have taken great pains to take care of the car and not driven it in the rain". The joke part was that I parked in the garage when it rained so that when it quit we would go for a drive, hence the cover off. My wife says I have an abstract sense of humor too. Anyway thanks for the advice and I'll update the ad. And by the way when I said good to great I mean't the car for the money. I did not mean to suggest it was a concors car. I figured an educated audience would understand my intent. Thanks Mark
Hey, now I do get it. My wife says my sense of humor is so weird it makes abstract look normal. Didn't intend ot nitpick, but I'm a direct response copywriter and as such am always asking, 'why this' or 'why not increase response with that?'

Maybe take the photo advice too and see what happens. The car is too reasonable not to garner prospects.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Mr. G
Track Day

I'm "almost" on the hunt for a blue G-50 targa so I have been following prices/postings. I'm not a big fan of those wheels and I definitely don't want a whale tale. But, your car is priced very well and should find a buyer who likes those things. My suggestion is to post some better pictures. I'm sure your car is quite nice but the photos are all washed out which makes everything look dusty and dirty. It's a beautiful car, get some pictures that showcase its beauty. Have a look at some of the photo's in ads from Victory Motor Cars on EBay. That guy can make a pig look good. And you don't have a pig. Good luck!
Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM
pingman
Advanced

Mr. G, Trader220, and Adams,
Thank you all for the advice. Mr G. You actually have a sharp eye, I had not done a detail job on the car at the time the photos were taken. I was concentrating on selling a coupe that I had. I have updated the add with different wording and am now waiting on a cloudy day for better pictures. And I have detailed the car. I actually shed a tear when I was finished because it looked so good! But, "a picture is worth a thousand words". I am also from the old school of photography. I still have a couple of 35mm's with all kinds of lenses, this was a hobby for a while, and I have not educated myself very well on the use of the digitals. and the one we have is minimal at best. Hopefully we can spark an intrest with these helpful hints. Thanks again, Mark
Old 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Todds911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adams
Hey, now I do get it. My wife says my sense of humor is so weird it makes abstract look normal. Didn't intend ot nitpick, but I'm a direct response copywriter and as such am always asking, 'why this' or 'why not increase response with that?'

Maybe take the photo advice too and see what happens. The car is too reasonable not to garner prospects.
Hey man, when I read the "rain" humor, I "got it" straight away. I envisioned the 911 in the garage, staring outside and waiting for the rain to stop. "Only SEEN rain three times."

But my wife says my humor is too abstract as well. To me, it is just ingenius humor. To most, I'm simply not funny!

Did you remove the comment from your Ad?? Come on man, stay true to yourself!!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
talane
Instructor

Pingman, I got the joke as well. My wife just calls me an idiot.

Quick Reply: Is this '87 worth it?