911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is this '87 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Muss you should get out more ,,, dating yourself can't be healthy ..
As soon as I pressed enter I knew I would pay for that
Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

V6 is sometimes a canned choice for auto websites, so maybe the guy gets some slack.

There is no way I would want a black 911 either, for the reason you know all too well. Having said that, I'd probably take it over Guards Red, as I think that is probably the most common color. Nothing wrong with it, it's just nice to see something different.

If there are no stories and it looms good, that should be a great price.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Diane Sawyer must have a rider in her contract that says they must smear Vaseline on the camera lens before she goes live. There, that is a current analogy.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:06 PM
foxpaws
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a decent deal - I just got mine - '87 black targa, a few more miles, a little less dough, recent expensive rebuild, almost perfect PPI, and no tail (that is OK by me - not a tail fan) so this one is right in line...
Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Looks very nice, get that PPI and go for it!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Carfax. com may help you to see if the miles are accurate and if there is an accident It is about $30 and well worth the money. It helped me on a 911 that had the mileage set back twice and another 911 that had a police report of a wreck in Virginia several years before. It will also show where the car has been--- like in beach areas with salt or states that use salt on the road. That car looks good, and if you want it, I would not be shy about asking what his bottom dollar is after you look at it. If he sticks at 14 or whatever it was, offer 12. Times are tough and there are some stunning buys around.

I am not a targa fan, but black is the best color for that targa.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by foxpaws
Looks like a decent deal - I just got mine - '87 black targa, a few more miles, a little less dough, recent expensive rebuild, almost perfect PPI, and no tail (that is OK by me - not a tail fan) so this one is right in line...
You bought a g50 targa with miles in the 60's and a recent full rebuild nearly perfect PPI for less than 14 grand? On what planet?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:00 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The only thing that I can pick on the car is the lower rocker panel is crushed. This is probably from a lift or jack being mis applied.

Very common and easy to fix.

I would check the oil lines on the passenger side if the pass. side is bent too.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
The only thing that I can pick on the car is the lower rocker panel is crushed. This is probably from a lift or jack being mis applied.

Very common and easy to fix.

I would check the oil lines on the passenger side if the pass. side is bent too.
Wow, good eye. That happened to one of mine years ago.

The price on this car seems remarkably reasonable. Okay, it's entering 'serious deal' territory. I'd move on it - - either PPI or not, but I'd make a move before someone catches wind and eliminates competition.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
foxpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trader220
You bought a g50 targa with miles in the 60's and a recent full rebuild nearly perfect PPI for less than 14 grand? On what planet?
Planet "with a smile and the right attitude you can get a lot", next to Planet "the guy is going out of town for 4 months and has had it up for sale for way too long at the wrong price and needs to get rid of it this weekend", and nearby is Planet "cash".

Mileage is at about 79,000 on mine - so I guess maybe 'some more miles' would be better (I look for about 3,000 per year on a car that I buy - I like them not to be garage queens). Rebuild at a little under 75,000... I also have the receipts - from about '92 on, and the books - filled out... only things on the PPI - shifter is wiggly (probably the bushings are shot) - that is why I am looking a new one, needs alignment (easy), and it should have the valves readjusted because that is what you do after you rebuild the engine and it has almost 5,000 on it. But bestest - no rust (really, no rust - it is sort of amazing), Colorado car, garaged.

It is a little dirty - but I can handle that, and the seats look like they need a little tlc - and the guy ran over a paint can lid right before I saw it (another reason he might have been anxious to sell it) - so it has some blue paint up on the passenger side rocker (but nothing on the body) and in the front wheel well - looks sort of cool though.

Prices are coming way down on all toys - I looked at a 348 (I know, I know) for 32,000 - a decent one - 40,000 on it - but a little scary because it had no maintenance/repair history on it whatsoever and the title history was a little dicey.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I am pretty good on pricing and I have owned about 2 dozen air cooled 911's in the last 15 to 17 years. You could say I buy and sell a lot of cars and my attitude, smile and cash are fine. I guess I'll chalk this one up to the internet. I always meet the luckiest people on the capital markets boards too!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

SO, Trader 220, where do you think the SC and Carrera markets are? I think there are less cars and the price is improving somewhat for the better stuff. I see about one killer deal a month in the Dallas area. I have not watched the California market for 6 months or so>
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Trader220
Race Car

The number of cars out there is fine. I believe the market in these cars is pretty stable. They have reached the bottom of their decay curve and I don’t think prices will change much (not taking the overall economy into consideration) I think for the next bunch of years a good clean g50 car with decent history and maintenance will bring 18-23. A lower miles one will bring a bit more. That’s the pinnacle of the cars and the other years will follow down the line.
I don’t think there will be any discernable rise in prices for a while on these things. The economy is IMO a POS and wont be better for a while but the cars prices are about the bottom of the decay curve IMO.
Just my 2 cents and I follow the national markets in them all the time.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I too think that $14K is an abnormally low price for a clean G50 with no stories and in good condition. Many have bought only decent SC's for the same $. That is not a knock on SC's (except Canadian ones!), simply a reference.

There will always be deals falling into people's laps from time to time, all my statements are made in the general sense.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I guess I'm from foxpaws' planet too. I bought my '89 last September with 78k miles and no stories for $14k. The only knock I have on the car is that it is white and has spotty records. For the money I took a chance and it has proven to be very solid.

Similar story to foxpaws' except my seller had his wife giving him grief about the car so I think he sold it as a spite move.

The deals are out there....

Quick Reply: Is this '87 worth it?