Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is this '87 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Trader and others who follow the market: I'm considering moving from my 3.2 Carrera toward a 993'S'.

I just spent a pile on the 3.2 (an extremely nice car) but makes me feel confident for the next owner.

If you feel we've seen the bottom and maybe heading up, does this hold true for 993s too?

Sorry for the seemingly off topic post, but this may indicate broader market health.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This 911 is a curious tale. It has a rear tail, but no spoiler. The ac still runs R-12, and the idle screw still has the plastic plug on it, but the alternator shaft cap is missing. It might be at 67,000 miles, or it might not be. Still, that is one LOW LOW price. I smell blood in the water, so I agree with Fox (witty post btw), and Scott C.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams
Hey Trader and others who follow the market: I'm considering moving from my 3.2 Carrera toward a 993'S'.

I just spent a pile on the 3.2 (an extremely nice car) but makes me feel confident for the next owner.

If you feel we've seen the bottom and maybe heading up, does this hold true for 993s too?

Sorry for the seemingly off topic post, but this may indicate broader market health.
This economy is not repaired yet, more pain to come.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams

I didnt say anything at all about prices heading up, I dont think you'll see any real appreciation in prices for a while especially in this economy. By "a while" i mean years. Looking at the 993 market prices have come in nicely. The S cars still hold a higher place in the pecking order but I have seen prices come in on even the S cars. The 993 S garage queen with low low miles continue to hold value well and command a premium to the market.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
I didnt say anything at all about prices heading up, I dont think you'll see any real appreciation in prices for a while especially in this economy. By "a while" i mean years. Looking at the 993 market prices have come in nicely. The S cars still hold a higher place in the pecking order but I have seen prices come in on even the S cars. The 993 S garage queen with low low miles continue to hold value well and command a premium to the market.
Yep, and I still believe there are $20k 3.2 carreras out there. They are the just sub concours level cars, that you could almost justify driving on a regular basis. These are the cars that the owners can turn down offers by simply saying "go find another one". Cars of that stature will always bring more money.

It seems like 4 years ago uesable 911 SCs were hovering in the 14k territory, where they are now struggling to stay above 10k. Really nice driving 3.2s were more and the G50 cars (87-89) all sold for a premium around 20-25k.

Now the line between 915 trans carreras and SCs is beginning to blur a bit and the later G50 cars (nice drivers) are starting to settle into the 14-17k range.

I would not expect to see prices swing up any time soon. As time marches on, the number of survivors will dwindle and prices may start to creep up. It seems like this is starting to happen (only slightly) to the 75-77 2.7 cars. It used to be that you couldn't give those things away, and now they seem to be closing in on the 911 SCs.

And a side note: I think the 964 is the absolute best bang for the Porsche buck right now. $16k buys a nice aircooled 3.6 porsche platform that you can do a lot with! If I had extra cash for a street car I would probably pick one of those things up.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

VERY valuable information fellas, I really appreciate it.

I'll start a different thread when I run my ad, but for my 42k mile, seriously nice all-original 86, I plan to be in the $23k range. (Just spent $3k on motor out service, reseal, detail, valve set, engine pad, new calipers, etc etc. Has full books and records, every stamp.)

Anyway, I have mixed thoughts on the 993 move, but that's the one that's got my heart right now. If I didn't have 5 other cars, the Carrera would be a keeper, no doubt.

Thanks again. And to the OP, we look forward to hearing the verdict!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:16 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought my '86 coupe for 22K in March 2010 (without a G-50 discount). My car was completely original, no rebuild for the engine/transmission, service records from date of purchase, owned by Porschephiles throughout its existence in this planet with a very favorable PPI. Condition of exterior: 9/10 (some rock chips), interior: 9/10, Fuch's: 9/10. Cash spent for travel/shipping ($0) since the seller was within 100 miles.....For the right buyer, very few cars are over priced IMO. People talk about the economy everytime this comes up. Hey I still have a job, make the same money as I have done before the economy crashed. No point in low-balling a seller just to feel good that I did "leave any cash on the table". A good car will serve you well forever. I will not take advantage of a desperate seller. If I did overpay (which it looks like it from this discussion) I take it as a premium that I paid for exactly what I wanted...except for the color (always had a fascination for darker non-black 911's). I know really like the color and I have my RL friends Paul (Carrera3.2G50)and X038F's venezia blau as my office/home computer wallpapers to watch and drool on a daily basis.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
I bought my '86 coupe for 22K in March 2010 (without a G-50 discount). My car was completely original, no rebuild for the engine/transmission, service records from date of purchase, owned by Porschephiles throughout its existence in this planet with a very favorable PPI. Condition of exterior: 9/10 (some rock chips), interior: 9/10, Fuch's: 9/10. Cash spent for travel/shipping ($0) since the seller was within 100 miles.....For the right buyer, very few cars are over priced IMO. People talk about the economy everytime this comes up. Hey I still have a job, make the same money as I have done before the economy crashed. No point in low-balling a seller just to feel good that I did "leave any cash on the table". A good car will serve you well forever. I will not take advantage of a desperate seller. If I did overpay (which it looks like it from this discussion) I take it as a premium that I paid for exactly what I wanted...except for the color (always had a fascination for darker non-black 911's). I know really like the color and I have my RL friends Paul (Carrera3.2G50)and X038F's venezia blau as my office/home computer wallpapers to watch and drool on a daily basis.
A wise man (in the car business) once told me: You can never pay too much for the right car.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
A wise man (in the car business) once told me: You can never pay too much for the right car.
I tell my wife that same thing everytime I want a new toy.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 PM
foxpaws
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
And a wise woman once told me, "Don't fall in love until it is in the garage."

Too many people drive 'em and fall in love, or at least serious like. It is hard not to. But, in the long run, you are going to walk away from a lot of cars, if you are doing your homework, and being sensible.

I walked away from about a dozen cars this time (well, Porsches, I think I looked at about 10 Ferraris too). And I believe that is the fewest I have ever looked at when buying an older car.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by foxpaws
And a wise woman once told me, "Don't fall in love until it is in the garage."
That's not how I took it at first... Deceptively open ended sounding.

I actually wasn't quoting myself, but really there are two different ways to buy a car. In my experience theres a distinct difference beetween a car that someone really wants, as opposed to a car that someone wouldn't mind owning until it's time to part ways. I am usually shopping for the latter. That means that a car's cash value to me might be significantly less than someone who really wants it.

But seriously, yeah that's great advice. If you fall in love too soon, it usually costs you more money. I think a lot of people miss that part.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

I missed an 84 silver blue coupe in Boulder today for $8500. 164,000 which does not make it a real prize. Dont have to make the Dallas/Boulder drive, but it sure was a nice looking car. Not sure if I am happy or sad, both maybe.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakeflyer
I missed an 84 silver blue coupe in Boulder today for $8500. 164,000 which does not make it a real prize. Dont have to make the Dallas/Boulder drive, but it sure was a nice looking car. Not sure if I am happy or sad, both maybe.
This just means another opportunity awaits!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Brucechas
Rennlist Member

Great attitude, Good luck.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:14 PM
pingman
Advanced

So here's my .02 on this whole pricing topic. I've had an '87 Targa on autotrader for almost 3 weeks with119,000 miles in good to great shape, blue/blue for $13,500, and not one single call or intrested e-mailer. Yes I advertised here first, lot of lookers. So I beg to differ on a strong market and bottoming out price line for G50 jewels. And I need to sell too! Mark

Quick Reply: Is this '87 worth it?