Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fuel Pump Connections Help - Marrying Old w/ the New

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:40 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Connections Help - Marrying Old w/ the New

This is a cross-post but I've gotten some equally valuable help here so if it helps my cause:

I'm at wit's end, I've searched the internet, etc...... Can't seem to find the right parts to make this all work together, although I feel like there HAS to be a simple answer. I'll lay out what I have and what I believe and someone, anyone tell me what a DA I am and point me to the right spot, please! (this may be parts from a later car that I need?)

I got a new fuel pump, it came with a check valve on the end that's 10mm on the pump side and 12mm on the output side. (this seems to be standard as all the ones I find on the 'net are as such).

- See Pic 1 -

What I had on my car was a banjo fitting that was 10mm, going into a banjo bolt (no check valve at all....hey, no wonder I had hard start issues! ) into a volvo pump. So I've ordered a 12mm banjo fitting, my err here was ordering one with a 6mm barbed end instead of a 8mm barbed end to fit properly into my existing fuel line.....but I'll continue.

I got new crush washers and found a proper 12x1.5 nut to clamp it down (or so I believe?) Below is a kinda exploded view of what I've made:

- See Pic 2 -

I also need to know is my assembly here workable or flawed? I feel like fuel will leak out around the nut and crush washers and I need to know what's up with the end of the valve (shown below). Is that some sort of pressure release that will send fuel straight to my headers? I'd love a picture or explanation as to how this is "supposed" to hook up and happy to have alternately a "here's how to make it work".

I did hook this all up, turn the key so the fuel pump began humming and in a few seconds it started spewing fuel all over the place. I'm 99% certain it was flowing from my hobbled together too large fuel line and too small banjo fitting, (should have known that was a bad idea).

- See Pic 3 -

Lastly, do not under any circumstances take the above query to any FLAPS in S. Alabama unless you want them to look at you like you are speaking ancient Aramaic. The Metric System and Dem Ferrun Cars are apparently lost on them.

Thank you so much for the advice, I feel like I get much more out of this forum than I'm able to contribute but hopefully enough of these puzzles worked through and I'll be able to pass it down.
Attached Images    
Old 09-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Mikeco
7th Gear

Try pure choice motorsports they may have what you need.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Napa Auto, at least my local one, lets me pick through their supply of fittings.
How do you know that the Volvo pump will deliver the correct pressure and volume?
I would lose the pressure relief looking fitting in any case. That does not look right. If I was at the office I would post the exploded diagram for you.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:35 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at the Bentley manual, you might be missing a deep cap nut and copper washer. I understand that pressure relief looking thing is actually a check valve, so you need that! Lol
Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Heh heh, yes, the fitting is a Check Valve and very necessary. What I had on there BEFORE was the incorrect Volvo pump with no check valve. Running was fine but starting has been a bear since I bought her.....this is why I'm thinking.

I now have a proper 911 pump with valve but I'm trying to marry it to my '75 with a '78 engine with....... lord only knows

I've been advised that yes, I need a cap nut so I'm going to try and track that down next. And I need to redo that one fuel line, which is the next hurdle.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:00 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

As often happens left to my own devices with a point or 2 in the right direction I think I've solved the puzzle. I found (of all places) a Delorean parts supplier (seems they use CIS like us and share many of those parts) with all the fittings I needed.

I'll report back next week with an update if everything comes in and works well so we all have a point of service.

Travis
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I think a delorean used a volvo 2.7 so i am not surprised at your find ..
Old 09-06-2010, 11:39 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

There's actually a guy in my neighborhood with one, but my brief conversations with him sound like there's not much left of the stock drivetrain components.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:10 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

does it have the original OE flux capacitor ?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

That was a Doc Brown Mod so no.....I wonder if said capacitor repaced the CIS
Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

I thought the other day (while updating my blog) to update this thread I started. The Delorean guy did eventually send parts but I'm not sure I'd do business with him again. I was shown another site on [the other forum] that I would try in the future.

I did finally get my fuel pump hooked up properly to the engine and everything purring again. I found out I could have used a 12x1.5 lugnut for that capnut I was missing. I found out the pump and missing checkvalve wasn't my only problem.

The short story is I had some vacuum leaks, sealed off a couple of those and did some tinkering with the air and fuel mixture settings and she's a different car entirely, no longer takes litterally 10-15 minutes in the morning to start (more like 15-20 seconds).

I'm slowly learning to speak the language of this old girl and having a ball doing it If only Doc Brown would swoop in and help it might be a faster learning curve

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Connections Help - Marrying Old w/ the New