Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The '73 RS Clone, Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014 | 04:05 AM
Foxtastic
Advanced

Default "Thread-jack" advice request!

Hi Ken and gang. Apologies if this constitutes a thread-jack , but i'd really appreciate your opinion/advice and that of others in this thread. I've actually been in the market for a 993 (C2S) for the last 12 months and agreed a deal on one about 3-4 months ago. Unfortunately the seller pulled out. I guess with the prices going stratospheric he decided to hang on to it. Anyway, I've also had a strong attraction to the slightly more hotrod/outlaw strain of 911 and stumbled across this - http://www.cvluxurycars.com/1971Porsche911ETarga.htm - thoughts? Have I taken leave of my senses? Is it too much of a Frankencar? I felt compelled to ask here with all the references to ruby red targas!

Thanks,
Andrew
Attached Images      
Old 02-09-2014 | 12:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

^^^ No problem, but you'll probably get more eyeballs and responses by making up a thread about this car. This one is likely now just me, Doug, and Ed.

If you don't make another thread, just a quick thought--all comes down to: 1. what EXACTLY you want, and what's it going to cost you. No doubt this car had huge amounts of money spent on it, but get real about them not even replacing the tires + it having fake Fuchs. Have to get an absolute expert on these cars thoroughly evaluate. But I suspect there's a "price" in mind to make it change hands, and warts and all they'll just wait for an unsophisticated (likely foreign) buyer to show up.
Old 02-09-2014 | 03:06 PM
Foxtastic
Advanced

Thanks Ken. this is why i picked on your thread...(I guess I could have pm'd you, but then I was also hoping Doug and Ed could add encouragement on the targa aspect of the decision!) you hit on my key doubts;
1. What EXACTLY do I want? It was a 993 C2S... but I think these have crept out of my budget (at least if I put my sensible hat on and consider bambino #3 is arriving in 4 months...). Of course, I could go with a NB 993, but the whole R Gruppe/Outlaw/Hotrod movement appeals - or rather, the long hood aesthetic with tweaked power and handling attributes. On the practical side of things, I need rear seats and I want to be able to use it as much as possible (commutes in SF etc), though I will keep my 4Runner for practicality. The other reason I was drawn to your post is the draw of '73 RS clone. I guess this fundamentally means I'd rather have a coupe over the targa, definitely from the looks perspective, but then roof-off drive is unparalleled and we're in CA afterall!
2. the expert evaluation... who would be an expert I could go to?! The car is currently in WA. I'm not so concerned about the replica fuchs, or the old tires. The owner is 80, broke his back in a crash last year on track and is simply looking to sell off 2 of his 4 Porsches to top up the retirement fund. The challenge I have is that I have no ideal how to value the car. I know I need to add heat boxes and I'm not a fun of the look of the SuperTrapps so will likely replace with an SSI systems (is $3k a realistic budget to have this procured and fitted?). What would you expect your RS clone to be worth once complete?
3. the price in mind has been met - $35k.... and I am British, so meet the foreign criteria... unsophisticated?... yes in the world of air-cooled 911's (and actually plenty of other areas for that matter)... I just need to mail the cheque if I want to acquire it, though I'm thinking I should probably at least fly up and take a look/drive....

Here's footage of it being driven -
Old 02-09-2014 | 03:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

^^^ You are on to something there. Love the longhood Targa. Let's just say, I'm loosing sleep.
Old 02-09-2014 | 05:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

That looks like a nice Targa-they make superb sportscars. All of the due diligence stuff (PPI) applies, particularly at $35K. You couldn't build that car for that, but a broken motor something, could pull another $10K+ out of your pocket.

Personally, I like bright trim....
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2014 | 10:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
^^^ You are on to something there. Love the longhood Targa. Let's just say, I'm loosing sleep.
You know you want siblings.
Old 02-09-2014 | 10:12 PM
Foxtastic
Advanced

I too like the ss targa bar Ed... part of me thinks they may well have a revival with the launch of the new 991 Targa?... not that I've ever been particularly successful at the speculation game...

Anywhere I can go to see more pics of the Targa in your avatar Doug?...
Old 02-09-2014 | 10:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Foxtastic
Anywhere I can go to see more pics of the Targa in your avatar Doug?...
She's a cabriolet. She doesn't act like one, but she is a manual top cab with full RS Perlon carpet, black suede RSR door cards, momo wheel, bumperette delete, '69R tail lights, duck, LSD, and so much more...
Old 03-05-2014 | 08:56 AM
Karmann58
1st Gear

Default RS Clone Rear bumper

I love your RS clone. I am just starting on a 72 RS clone and was wondering where you got your rear bumpers? Are they fabricated?
Old 03-05-2014 | 10:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Karmann58
I love your RS clone. I am just starting on a 72 RS clone and was wondering where you got your rear bumpers? Are they fabricated?
I suppose you're referring to the steel rear bumper ends that were on the car when my cousin initially did the car. Yes, those were built off of the originals with tips you could buy back in the Olden Days. Forget who....Alan Johnson maybe?

They were always a royal pain to fit. I'd push customers toward the fiberglass bumpers, as I was usually building track cars. My friend has real RS everything on his '72 (including an RS engine that came via a wreck in a '76 I bought one time), and oh do those parts fit perfectly.

Quick Reply: The '73 RS Clone, Revisited