Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Screwed up my fan?!?! <<<now with Pics>>>

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Tango635
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed up my fan?!?! <<<now with Pics>>>

I changed cap and rotor and fan belt, then went for a drive to warm up the oil to change that as well. When I got back, I noticed that the outer pulley half seemed to be cocked at an angle. I turned the engine on to confirm, and sure enough.

Took the outer pulley off and noticed that the outer pulley wore a groove into the fan drive. So now even though I tried to set the tension on belt by rotating CCW, then torque, as soon as you spin it CW (normal engine rotation), the pulley goes back into the worn groove and is able to wobble.

So any suggestions on repair???

I am thinking of having it weld repaired. Fill in the groove with a Mig wire, then file off the excess. I noticed Pelican has a RothSport outer pulley that is thicker than the original. I might try that too.

Or does anyone have a nice fan for sale??

Will post on Pelican too.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Tango635; 06-21-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Pics are worth many words in these types of posts...
Old 06-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Did you put any shims in the middle of the pulley halves?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Tango635
Racer

Yeah, I'll get some pics before and after. I decided I'm going to get it welded and I'll file it down.

I did have all the shims in place. 2 in between and 4 on the outside. Once I noticed the problem, I took it apart and installed one in between and 5 on the outside, hoping that the one shim might make difference as well as doing the torque and turning CCW. It didn't help.

Ed, maybe I missed it, but did you post pics of Le Mans??? Must have been one awesome trip!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I did post some pics in a thread I started about leaving on June 9. Should be on the front page still.

Whenever I have my belt off, I do several revolutions by hand to make sure it seats well.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not understanding the problem and how one half of the pulley could wear the other. They are fixed relative to each other.

I agree, always turn the fan to make sure the belt is seated and not overtensioned. Make sure the fan is not scraping the shroud.

Edit:
Ok, I see. Harry is on the ball there with the links!

My own $.02 is to replace the outer pulley, have the fan-inner pulley tig welded with stainless steel rod, and use a file and mini air grinder, not a cutoff disc or you may be re-re-welding it a second time.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

As I posted on the bird.... What causes this? Morbid curiosity....
Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I'm not understanding the problem and how one half of the pulley could wear the other. They are fixed relative to each other.

I agree, always turn the fan to make sure the belt is seated and not overtensioned. Make sure the fan is not scraping the shroud.

Edit:
Ok, I see. Harry is on the ball there with the links!

My own $.02 is to replace the outer pulley, have the fan-inner pulley tig welded with stainless steel rod, and use a file and mini air grinder, not a cutoff disc or you may be re-re-welding it a second time.
Thanks for noticing. I try to be helpful.

Anyway, if some needs to find the info there, the thread at the Bird is: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...up-my-fan.html
Old 06-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Tango635
Racer

OK, I added some pics in Post #1

After closer inspection of the outer half pulley, I found out that it is slightly deformed and does not seat properly (tried to show this in the first pic).

So I guess I deformed it by tightening down on the nut and not turning it. Are there any special tools I am missing?

This is my refined procedure considering your input and the lesson on damage I caused. Please help me out if you have a better way.

1. Install the belt on the crank pulley
2. wrap a wire around the belt at the top and with needle nose pliers, use the fan housing as a fulcrum to pull the belt up into position. Hold there for step 3-6
3. install the inner shim(s)
4. install the outer pulley half
5. install the cup washer backwards
6. install the nut (without the lock washer)
7. pull the wire from step 2 out
8. begin a back and forth iteration of tightening the nut (half a flat) and rotating the fan by hand
9. When there are sufficient threads exposed on the shaft that it looks like you can install the shims...
carefully remove the nut and the cup washer
10. install the outer shims
11. install the cup washer
12. install the lock washer and nut.
13. rotate fan by hand several times to make sure everything looks concentric
14. Turn engine on and again observe to make sure everything is concentric

Thanks for any advise.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Tango635
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott C
As I posted on the bird.... What causes this? Morbid curiosity....
MIS-INSTALLTION
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You should be able to push the outer pulley onto the inner pulley with one hand while finger tightening the nut with the other. Gradually tighten until the shims are just a bit tight enough to be captured under the cup washer, then use a small screwdriver and push the shims into alignment under the cup washer. Begin tightening with a socket, turn fan, tighten, turn fan, tighten. Check belt deflection. Should be about a 1/4" or so. Make sure fan is not scraping against the fan shroud.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Tango635
Racer

Rusnak, how do you make sure you don't grab a piece of the shim?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Tango, I don't reach for the socket until the shims are all aligned under the cup washer. If you go hand tight, the shims will be captured by friction under the cup washer, and you can push them with a screwdriver to line up. The hardest part is to put enough pressure on the outer pulley half so that it stays keyed with the fan. You're using brute force with one hand, and fingertip control with the other. It's one of those Porsche tricks that you have to learn.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Tango, I don't reach for the socket until the shims are all aligned under the cup washer. If you go hand tight, the shims will be captured by friction under the cup washer, and you can push them with a screwdriver to line up. The hardest part is to put enough pressure on the outer pulley half so that it stays keyed with the fan. You're using brute force with one hand, and fingertip control with the other. It's one of those Porsche tricks that you have to learn.
Amen
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tango635
MIS-INSTALLTION
No $hit!

I was wondering specifically..... Pulley half not torqued enough, not enough shims, wrong belt,...... E) All of the above?

Quick Reply: Screwed up my fan?!?! <<<now with Pics>>>