Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ebay and a PPI

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
cutline_joe
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay and a PPI

Hello Everyone, I am a long time lurker still looking for my first 911. I have watched a bunch of auctions on ebay but have always hesitated in pulling the trigger due to the unknowns. How does the group here handle buying from ebay and getting a full PPI (or decent inspection) done. Specifically, I am currently looking at this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

It just seems with a 7 day auction (this one with 3d left) it would be very difficult to get something setup. It doesn't bother me to have to pay for a few unsuccessful PPIs, I just want to know what I am getting into. Are sellers usually receptive to a PPI request? How do you choose a qualified shop in the area to perform the PPI. To be honest, I was just using google up to this point.

thanks,

- Joe
Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would certainly reccommend a PPI. That car is a "grey market" import and would require a well qualified technical inspection. Grey market cars can be great cars with a bit more power and sometimes lack options like sunroof and A/C. Your local authoraties may have problems registering euro cars as the DOT certification process requires a US VIN number that is issued after the DOT process has taken place. The speedometer may have been replaced if it reads in MPH(not Kilometers) and that opens the door for milage discrepancies. There is a lot to know about euro cars and many are very nice, but some can be rough around the edges.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW

Its a nice looking car but does not look like anny thing special. If you are going to pull the triger, I would suggest making the offer pending a PPI. Looks like a dealer sale, if they say no then walk. Rember it will always be a gray market car, even when you try to sell it.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
kurt0811
Rennlist Member

I agree a PPI is critical. I had looked a few cars that seemed good to me,but PPI's turned up some pricey problems. The problem with Ebay is the auction itself. I think it would be close to impossible to get one of those cars to a good shop for a PPI, before the auction ended. And if you try to do it after you win, and a problem arises, I don't know that you'd have any recourse.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in total agreement with the above posts. What part of the country are you in Cutline? Often there are fellow Rennlist members who will take a look at a car in a particular city for you.
The Ebay deal is tough, there are great cars listed, but the sight unseen purchase is just foolish. Autotrader is a little easier and a private seller is often the safest.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:59 PM
cutline_joe
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the great information everyone. The Ebay thing is just so tempting in general, but I agree that it is very difficult to get anything done before the auction ends. Looks like I will be sticking the autotrader / craigslist / pelican / renn listings. There are a bunch of cars in my area, it is just a matter of identifying the right one (so many choices right now). I may have started looking a bit late into the season to get a full summer of enjoyment in, but I had to sell some toys to make room first.

@whale I am in the Northeast of the US. MA / RI
Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

You may want to join the PCA and search their classifieds, too. They are called "The Mart" and are typically advertised by enthusiasts.

YMMV, of course.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

+ 1 on joining PCA to have access for some really clean cars. I got mine through PCA mart. If you have a trusted independant Porsche mechanic locally, go introduce yourself to him, let me know that you are in the lookout for a 911 and that you would eventually like to use him for some (if not all..like in my case) of it's needs. He can suggest good techs/mechanics who are part of his community for your PPI's anywhere in the country.

Quick Reply: Ebay and a PPI