Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

912e lunacy -- have I lost my mind?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 AM
floete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 912e lunacy -- have I lost my mind?

I know I'm going to get grief from all you 911ers but hear me out. Through the 912E underground, I've come across one of the finest examples of a 912E now running. I know I've said I wanted to spend less than 10k, then 12k, then 10k, and so on. But hear me out. This car has a pretty-new Jake Raby engine in it, with 13k miles on it. Everything, and I mean everything, has been upgraded, or rebuilt, or put in new. Most recently, the carburetors were rebuilt and a new windshield seal installed. I've talked to the owner, I've talked to Raby, I've talked to the owner's mechanic, I've talked to others who know about the car and have driven it. It's as close to perfect as a car that old can get, they say. (Well, Raby didn't say that, because he doesn't say that kind of thing; but he did llllike the car.)

As well, notice the sunroof (rare on an E), the electric mirrors, the tinted glass, the electric aerial, the polished Fuchs.

Have I said silver isn't my color? It isn't. But the funny thing is, with the lines on this car, it suddenly is. I love the silver on the E. Weird. But true.

Why is he selling? When I spoke to him, he was driving home in his new late-model Porsche. His wife told him, get a new car, an old one has to go. He's got something like 6 other cars as well...

The truth is, this car would eat up almost every penny I've got set aside for a Porsche, including my repairs reserve. But after listening to everyone talk about this particular car, I'm inclined to go along with their assessment, that this car is not going to need anything but maintenance for the next 1.5 to 2 years.

You might say, yeah, but it's a 912E and will always be a 912E. Yes, but it's a Jake Raby 912E. That's got to count for something.

I have until noon on Thursday to decide on this car.

Thoughts?

Last edited by floete; 04-05-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

From your description and the pictures it looks very good. Look around the battery area and inside the trunk behind the front bumper. I would also look closely underneath around suspension points, that said, from th over all looks I would not expect to find anything significant HOWEVER with any used purchase (car, airplane, boat) there will always be at least one surprise requiring money. Knowing that up front eases the pain. Nice car
Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

I think that is a fantastic looking car.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
betilfan
Track Day

Not to come across like an ***, but how many people spend $20k on a car and still settle for a dash pad? Is it just there for protection or are there cracks under it?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 AM
floete
Instructor

Nope, I think that's a fair question. It's there solely for protection and because the current owner doesn't like the glare from sunlight hitting the sweet perfection of the stock dash.

f4: good suggestions. thanks!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:37 AM
mck911
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever makes you happy, man. Looks like a clean car. I feel in this market you could find a pretty damn good 2.7 or SC for that price. If that's what you're really after, why settle?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
floete
Instructor

Well, I actually don't look at the E as settling. It prefer its lines over those of the SC or Carrera, and while the Raby engine still can't compare with the stock later-year engines, I'm sure it would be plenty enough for me and my meager needs. Thanks, though, for your input!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 AM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with kramermic, I would get a 912E for a beater DD. But for a super nice example, or a fun car, I would go with an SC. And, if you ever want to do some driver's ed, the E will be quite unchallenging and boring after a couple of days. There are nice, nice SCs out there right now at 14k. My secret to finding a nice car, which I will now give, is to check the individual PCA region newsletters. Pretty much all are online now. Not Panorama, but the local newsletters seem to carry the sensibly priced cars.

And, at that price for the E, there are what like five people including you who might want to buy it? Reselling could be challenging.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for a 911 and you will never look back. I appreciate that car and it would make a great addition to a collection, but would not replace a 911 in my mind. Thats a lot of money for a 912. I suggest that you keep looking. It sounds like this car may have woke you up to silver coupes and the subtle beauty of the mid seventies 2.7 cars. That gives you a lot more hunting ground.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM
M491
Racer

Don't do it. A mid year 911 with a VW engine (and yes, it is a VW engine) just doesn't cut it, esp. at $14K.

A jake raby engine is nice in a Bug or van, or even a 914. But not a 911. A 911 has a lot of great things about it, but the flat 6 engine is definitely it's heart and soul. Rip that out and there ain't much left.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm guessing you don't live in a place where OE smog equipment is required? As above, resale will be the deal if you aren't thrilled. And not being able to market it in California would be even more limiting. I'd say no matter how highly the car is finished, he's still not going to find a ready, able buyer in the near term anywhere close to his asking price.

So to the point of "will a 4 cylinder satisfy me." In today's world, simply no. I've got the '73 1/2 T I took from my friend so he could save his house last year. 130HP. It works just fine as a driver to get around. Everything works, typical wipers and heater issues that take me back 25-30 years. But it's _______ slow! And I've got a smart to commute with. Doesn't rev, anything above 4K feels like a strain. Not sports car like AT ALL. And THAT is what you'll be feeling every time you step on it with a Type 4 powering you.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 PM
aadrew10
Instructor

that car has no *****.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like it, buy it. You've got to have something that tickles your funny bone, or it's not worth it. For better or worse, you will be forever explaining to anyone that you see that it's not a 911. Most of the world has never heard of the 912 and certainly never of the 1 year anomoly of a 912E. On the other hand, it is kind of fun to show people something they've never seen before and such a nice example of one, too. But, if it has been a 911 you were lusting after for so many years, I don't think this car will fill the void. Know thyself.

Maybe you should let him go public with the higher price, and then when it doesn't sell, offer $12k. LOL

Brett
Old 03-02-2010, 01:35 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let it go.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
floete
Instructor

Thanks, Brett. Thanks everyone. I'm going to try not to respond for a while; rather, I'm going to let the comments wash over me and see what I think when all is more-or-less said and done. So, keep em coming!

Quick Reply: 912e lunacy -- have I lost my mind?