Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Adding A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding A/C

Anyone know how complicated/expensive it would be to add A/C to an '80 SC that didn't have it installed originally? Would go with Griffiths or similar for the components but would want the interior controls, etc. to be stock Porsche parts. Would the wiring/relay(s) be a difficult issue? Yes, I'm expecting the 'why would you even want to add a/c' comments
Thanks in advance for any specific thoughts on the difficulty of install.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think the most difficult part would be the electrical side. I don't know if the '80 had any way to compensate for the load on the engine at idle. I'd home in on that question and then work your way down to the switch and clutch. The mechanical side shouldnt be that bad. You might be better off buying a complete AC from a wrecked 911.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
You might be better off buying a complete AC from a wrecked 911.
That is the only way I'd attempt such a project. Griffiths will only have the big/easy stuff. It's all the other unknown/misc. gizmos that will be the pain.

I know you are expecting the questions why.....I'm assuming this is a Euro or a special order US car? To me, the car will lose value adding the A/C.

I drove mine in Dallas for 7 years with no A/C, it is only for wimps. Mine is not a daily driver, though.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can think of several of us that have all the parts sitting in boxes in the garage. the rear deck lid looks so good without all that crap in the way.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not so sure. I didn't remove every component affiliated with A/C.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the initial thoughts everyone. The car I'm considering is indeed a Euro model. The asking price gives every indication of the car being at the bottom of the depreciation curve, so I'm not too worried about impacting the value of the car by installing a/c. I am considering the car as a daily driver 90% of the time and, though I live in New England, there are many a spring and summer day where a/c would be a huge plus.

Griffiths sells a stock-looking variable speed evaporator fan control with wiring harness and 'all necessary terminal connectors'. Would I need to take a look at the Porsche wiring diagrams for an '80SC Euro to try to trace the various connections that would need to be added? Seems like a big (expensive) project but, for me, it could be worth it in the end.

What else would I need besides the solenoid(s) and lots of cash?

Last edited by Boatsonthebrain; 05-21-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

What's in the smugler's box right now? (under the carpet, behind the tire)

What about Rennaire? Have you Priced them out?
All positive feedback on them around here.

http://www.rennaire.com/rennaire_system_1.htm

Everything else can be found at

www.911pcar.com
Old 05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about buying a 911 with air conditioning? There are so many cars for sale I believe the pickins' look pretty good. I have air in my 911 and couldn't car less...........I never use it.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Did I say she's a lister worth looking at?
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

..okay ... moving right along ......

Even cars that had air conditioning in that era realy are still functional and effective today. If you bought one with AC I doubt it would work ,, ususally they say " refreshed Ac ' which means it is leaking like a seive and I recharged it to sell it but it won't work in about a week.
But I do think the most effective way is to get a hold of someone ( i think there are even a few on this list ) that have completely removed everything for the weight gain , now you have a KIT to start with and you can replace in the kit what you need to get it going.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Took me a minute to remember what question I had in the first place after seeing Douglas' post. Anyway, does anyone know if there was a different wiring harness for the A/C models vs non? If so, I'm guessing it might be a more difficult proposition even if I had a 'kit' from another 911 to start with.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:09 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

It's just wires. Nothing magical about adding AC. If you don't have one, get a Bentley manual and study the wiring diagrams, both power and ground.

To do this, you should put pencil to paper, and draw out the ac system components and power supply. You should understand this in your own "plan view" before buying components. Get a parts list together, then start placing WTB ads and call um, the hot chick to check prices.

To me, the hardest part will be all the connectors and stuff for the compressor, the temp probe in the evaporator, temp switch, resistor pack that controls the evaporator, etc. Like I said, you should buy a complete system from someone who "backdated" their 911 and would like to be paid some cash for the stuff. If a used parts dealer can box up everything that you need, then that convenience is worth something too.

I forgot to mention, I believe the Griffiths fan eliminates the resitor pack, but you'd have to check on that. I'd avoid the high dollar boutique solutions unless you can't get the Porsche stuff, or if the high dollar stuff solves a problem that you've run into. You have to buy a lot of stuff as it is, what with the condensers, two fans, switch, evaporator, reciever dryer, compressor and mounting bracket, and all of that hose. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Last edited by rusnak; 05-21-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Shorts, tank top, flip flops, open windows. Save yourself the $$ and the heartache. It's a Rube Goldberg system with many parts that was made to work (not very well) on a car that was never designed to have AC in the first place. Just my .02 after removing my whole system.

Quick Reply: Adding A/C